It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

Gw3 HB User
Need Help understanding my ANA test results

Hello, I went to a derm because I had noticed hair loss. I am a 39 year old female. My ANA came back 1:80 titer homogeneous. My Vit D was low @ 26 and triglyerides 153. I noticed that on the lab's own chart it shows 1:40-1:80 is considered low and anything greater than 1:80 is considered high. However, the lab still marked my level as "High". Researching on the internet I've seen different 1:80 noted as negative, low and high. So which is it? I have no other symptoms. No rashes, no joint pains. So all this is a surprise to me. Can this be a false positive? I had been put on Levaquin for 14 days a couple of months ago for diverticulitis. My blood work was done on June 13. Can this cause a false positive, drug induced autoimmune diesease or hair loss? I am so confused, scared and seems like I cannot get any solid answers. My internal med doctor says I don't have the appearance of someone with lupus. He also pressed on my joints and I had no pain what so ever. So what does this all mean? I appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Need Help understanding my ANA test results

An ANA level of 1:80 is considered borderline, and it all depends on what symptoms accompany it. The bout of diverticulitis may have triggered some hair loss. Since you have no other symptoms, I would not worry about this. There are some reports of positive ANAs after Levaquin therapy. I would just have the ANA repeated in about six months to see if it has reverted to negative. It really doesn't mean much unless you develop other signs and symptoms in future, then it should be rechecked at that time. Homogenous pattern is often seen in drug induced positive ANA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
(female)

*erica* HB User
Re: Need Help understanding my ANA test results

GW3,
As was stated, your hair loss may be due to the bout of diverticulitis. Also sometimes stress or changes in hormones, etc may be the cause and it could be something benign and nothing to worry about. It's great that you have such thorough doctors that are doing tests to rule out all possibilities. However an ANA of that level could be just for no reason at all. It's very common to have a positive ANA test with no disease present at all, that's why the ANA test is not a definitive diagnostic test for autoimmune diseases. The ANA test is only used as an indicator to autoimmune disease when multiple other symptoms are present. Unless other symptoms are present which are indicative of an autoimmune disease it is nothing to worry about. Many people have positive ANA at low levels and it's just one of those "medical mysteries." Unless you start developing other symptoms I would say you don't have anything to worry about. And it sounds like you have great doctors taking care of you which is always half the battle I hope you get you feeling better soon. All the best.
-Erica

Last edited by Administrator; 06-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Reply Reply