It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

Siminem HB User
Unhappy Unsure and Unaware

For about the last five years I've had moderate to severe pain all over my body. Sharp burning pain in my upper back and neck, and numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. Finally had an MRI w/o contrast of my c-spine and it showed that I have Degenerative Disc Disease, bulging disc, and bone spurs. It also showed white matter which might be possible MS. I also had lab work done and my FANA was positive. The titer was 1:640 and of a strong nucleolar pattern. Can someone help me understand? Is there a need for concern or am I just getting old and falling apart? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might have?

Last edited by Siminem; 08-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Unsure and Unaware

Many things can cause an elevated ANA, such as a passing virus, age, or being a relative of someone who has an autoimmune disease. It can suggest that an autoimmune process is going on, but usually in the presence of symptoms. If your Dr is suspicious of an autoimmune process, it is usually repeated and other autoimmune tests are ordered with it, as well as monitoring of your SED rate. Of course that may be elevated by the DDD, I don't know. The staining pattern only suggests what sorts of other antibodies may be present, but those patterns are subject to interpretation. The white matter lesions are also not neccessarily an indication of MS, unless that is why you had the MRI in the first place, in other words, in the presence of symptoms as well. I am sorry that you have Degenerative Disk Disease as that sounds so dreadfully painfull! Did you have a specific question?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

Siminem HB User
Talking Re: Unsure and Unaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca689 View Post
Many things can cause an elevated ANA, such as a passing virus, age, or being a relative of someone who has an autoimmune disease. It can suggest that an autoimmune process is going on, but usually in the presence of symptoms. If your Dr is suspicious of an autoimmune process, it is usually repeated and other autoimmune tests are ordered with it, as well as monitoring of your SED rate. Of course that may be elevated by the DDD, I don't know. The staining pattern only suggests what sorts of other antibodies may be present, but those patterns are subject to interpretation. The white matter lesions are also not neccessarily an indication of MS, unless that is why you had the MRI in the first place, in other words, in the presence of symptoms as well. I am sorry that you have Degenerative Disk Disease as that sounds so dreadfully painfull! Did you have a specific question?
Thank you for the info. My father did have Rheumatoid Arthritis. My Neurologist wants an MRI w/ contrast of my brain and c-spine so I will relax and not worry til there's something to worry about. Thanks again

Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
(female)

Siminem HB User
Talking Re: Unsure and Unaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca689 View Post
Thank you for the info. My father did have Rheumatoid Arthritis. My Neurologist want an MRI w/ contrast of my brain and c-spine so I will relax and not worry til there's something to worry about. Thanks again

Reply Reply