It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

maiyen HB Usermaiyen HB User
Question Can autoimmune disorders cause a weakened immune system?

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but this autoimmune stuff is relatively new to me and I'm not quite sure if I understand it all? I get what a positive ANA means, but can a autoimmune disorder/disease be cause for a weakened immune system or would that be due to something else? I get sick about every 2-4 months with fever, headache, nausea, worsened body aches, etc and I'm just wondering why I'm getting sick so frequently and if others experience this? Thanks for reading.

The following user gives a hug of support to maiyen:
76trombones (09-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Can autoimmune disorders cause a weakened immune system?

Autoimmune diseases are caused by an over active, if you will, immune system that targets "you" instead of "other". Some people seem to be more succeptible to colds and flu while others are not. Plus many of the symptoms you describe are part of the autoimmune process as well. That is one of the reasons that they are notoriously hard to diagnose. Lupus isn't called the Great Imitator for nothing. In my case, the headaches, nausea, fatigue, hives and whatnot were all part of my disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

maiyen HB Usermaiyen HB User

Interesting. luca689, if some of these symptoms are part of the autoimmune process then how can you tell if they're due to that or you've just gotten another cold? I've asked a few doctors about this, but they haven't given me any real answers. My GP has tested me for the flu and such before when I felt sick, but the tests came back negative.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiyen View Post
Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but this autoimmune stuff is relatively new to me and I'm not quite sure if I understand it all? I get what a positive ANA means, but can a autoimmune disorder/disease be cause for a weakened immune system or would that be due to something else? I get sick about every 2-4 months with fever, headache, nausea, worsened body aches, etc and I'm just wondering why I'm getting sick so frequently and if others experience this? Thanks for reading.
Per my profile I have several auto-immune illnesses, and none of been cured, but it depends on which ones you have. Mine have wiped out my immune system.

Hoping yours isn't as serious.

Peace

Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiyen View Post
Interesting. luca689, if some of these symptoms are part of the autoimmune process then how can you tell if they're due to that or you've just gotten another cold? I've asked a few doctors about this, but they haven't given me any real answers. My GP has tested me for the flu and such before when I felt sick, but the tests came back negative.
Just re-learning how to reply, so may have already sent you this message. I have several auto-immune illnesses & each one follows the next. The worst being Systemic Lupus, and that test would sometimes come up positive; the next negative, so I gave up on the testing.

And it's true that many auto-immune illnesses attack every part of your body, but depends on which one/s you have. I have so many that my immune system has weakened, but then I'm 70 years old.

Hoping yours isn't as serious as mine.

Peace.

Reply Reply