It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
(male)

Chris2268 HB User
New to Methotrexate - question for those who've been on it or are currently on it.

I just took my first dose of Methotrexate and I'm feeling sick already -nausea and fatigue, as well as blurry vision. I was aware of the possible side effects but didn't anticpate the rapid onset as well as severity of them, especially after the first dose.

My question is, does this feeling level out over the course of being on the medication, and did/does it affect your lifestyle feeling like this? Also, was there a noticeable change in your mood or persona while on the medication?

I am an active person and would prefer to stay that way if possible, and of course keep my health problem to myself without giving out hints that I'm on a medication like this. I can only imagine how my life would change if I were to feel like this constantly. Please lend me your stories and thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by Chris2268; 08-31-2012 at 11:13 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Chris2268:
2rose17 (09-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

2rose17 HB User
Re: New to Methotrexate - question for those who've been on it or are currently on it

My husband has been on Methotrexate for years and now is on a shot of it once a week. First of all, with most meds, you need to eat first. I remember him feeling kinda yukky during his first few usages....but it leveled off. If it gets too unbearable, call your dr.
Above all else- you need to take Folic Acid or you are going to get these horrible mouth sores. I had an infusion of Reclast last year and got them! I told my husband and he suggested I take Folic, cleared them right up!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: New to Methotrexate - question for those who've been on it or are currently on it

the nausea and blurry vision do tend to go away. I also noticed a bit of fatigue at first, but you do get used to it over time. I've been on it for several years now and am much better with than without.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

The symptoms never went for me the nausea became unbearable. I was on it for 3 months and had to come off it in the end the effects of the drug for me were worse than the illness. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

I started on MTX in Feb of this year. I still have the nausea and tiredness for about 36 hrs after my injection. I take mine at night so the first hrs are while sleeping. I plan my schedule light on these first full day so if I need to rest I can. I also echo the use of Folic acid. I had horrible mouth ulcers because my Rheumy had a brain freeze and did not order the folic acid with the MTX. Get your MD to order you some Zofran to have on hand if the nausea gets too bad. It does not make you sleepy. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
(female)

Dobeigh HB User

I never got used to taking Methotrexate orally. What dose are you on? I took 10mg orally for months and was consistently nauseated for 2 days after taking them. I told my rheumatologist and he put me on the same dose, but instead of taking them orally he gave it to me in an injection. I give myself an injection once a week in my deltoid muscle. I don't have any nausea now.

Reply Reply

Tags
methotrexate