It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

Megan R HB User
Any Ideas?

Hi everyone,

A couple years ago, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My lab has remained in normal bounds, although it bounces from very high normal to very low normal. Can't take any medicine as of right now because my thyroid is so sporadic that if I treated it as hypo, it would go hyper and vice versa.

Recently (the end of July), I had become incredibly fatigued. I am usually a going type of person, and I'm so tired I don't feel like doing things that I enjoy. When I went to the endo to get my thyroid checked, she checked for anemia and vitamin D along with thyroid. All were normal, except she did say that it might be a good idea to start taking some vitamin D because it was on the low side of normal.

Last week, I had a trip to the ER. I had been having severe abdominal pain, and they thought it was my appendix. After several blood tests and a CT, my appendix was normal. They checked my ovaries in case a cysts had ruptured (there was a cyst, but on the other side and they said it was unrelated). After that, the doctor came in. He asked how I was feeling, and I told him that I was still hurting (they gave me morphine until they realized it wasn't my appendix). He said quote "Well, sweetheart, this is no longer an emergent situation. You're going to have to go home." As they were discharging me, the nurse gave us my blood work which indicated I was spilling ketones, low potassium, and high of albumin. They said to go see your primary care physician and gave me some Lortab for the pain (which ran out quickly). The pain wakes me up in the night, and makes it hard to sleep.

The primary care doctor didn't know what it could be. She couldn't admit she didn't know either. She said it was probably my diet, or I was just depressed. (By the way, I am definitely not depressed. That's ridiculous.) I've spilled protein unexplained before, but always on the retest I'm fine. Same with the ketones. I'm switching pediatricians (my doctor is only there at weird hours, and we never can get into her when I'm sick). She is sending me to my old GI doctor, and said it could be my gallbladder. Can't get into him until two more weeks.

Since then I have become even more tired (didn't think that was possible), my joints hurt pretty bad (already been tested for JA when I was little), abdominal pain under my right ribs, back pain on the right lower rib side, and muscle aches and pain. So, any ideas on what it could possibly be? I'm sick of feeling bad, and haven't improved at all. I'm a high school student, and my grades are starting to drop. I'm usually a Deans List student, all As, and I'm not even making honor roll. Sigh, any ideas would be appreciated. I'm trying to get back into the endo to see what she thinks.

-Meg Riggs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: Any Ideas?

I am not sure what it could be. Did they do any swabs of your female parts or a culture on your urine? Do you have any symptoms of infection like chills? Did you have a high white blood cell count? Sometimes you can get PID even if you are not sexually active and it can cause abdominal pain, upper right quadrant pain, trouble sleeping, and even something called Reactive Arthritis which can cause joint and muscle pain. It can be from normal bacteria that we all have. Perhaps your immune system isnt consistent because of your Hashis. That is too bad that your thyroid is all over the place, hopefully your endo will follow up with you in a lot of detail. Please tell the endo about the low potassium as your adrenal glands are responsible for a large part of your electrolyte balance. I also hope that a new pediatrician can help more. I think that if doctors don't know - they should admit it and do more tests or consult with someone else. I don't think that they should ever leave us with no answers and dismiss everything as depression or blame it on us such as saying that we are not eating correctly. I am sorry you haven't received the proper care.

Reply Reply