It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
(female)

svgegrdn HB User
Does this make sense?

I went to the dermatologist for the first time for my vitiligo. She sent me for bloodwork. Came back slightly abnormal my ana was 1:40 and my ra factor was 14. Ssa and ssb normal. Pattern was homogeneous. I also have hypothyroid. Never tested for hashimotos. I was referred to a rheumatologist. She originally said she was going to order additional bloodwork but she wanted to see my labwork from my last physical. She got the labwork from my july physical and because it was all normal she wants to wait to january to do more testing. This doesnt make sense to me if i have abnormal labs now wouldnt it make sense to test now? Those labs were from three months ago should i just wait it out or see someone else? Does it make sense to wait? I dont know mych about autoimmune and never seen rheumatologist before this week.
Symptoms: fatique, muscle spasms, headaches, shortness of breath, gerd, palpitations, eye floaters, generalized pain, occasion light flashes in eyes

Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Does this make sense?

Hi & welcome. I believe ANA of 1:40 is the lowest possible positive value (you could ask), but that ANA alone (including pattern) isn't diagnostic of any one condition, unfortunately. That said, I can understand your wondering about your symptoms, and wanting to feel better sooner rather than later.

Have you seen an endocrinologist? Are you on a med for hypothyroidism? (I ask only b/c doctors of friends with hypothyroidism seem to have waited for substantially changed values before prescribing Synthroid.)

Also, I think hypothyroidism and vitiligo can *both* elevate ANA. Plus, I think hypothyroidism symptoms can overlap substantially with symptoms of other autoimmunes (for example, lupus can cause joint pain, fatigue, palpitations, etc.). Finally, I believe anything in the autoimmune area can evolve SLOWLY in some people. So your rheumatologist might want more time to elapse, hoping that future labs might reveal some "tilt" to one of the multiple possibilities.

I realize above doesn't "answer" anything---not that I could anyway!---but I hope it's food for more thought, for more reading (like those other boards, library books, etc.), and for more posts from you... Main thing is to stay as calm as possible, which I think you're doing. Although you describe yourself as new, you sure sound clear to me, PLUS your doctors are taking you seriously. I hope you post more soon. Bye for now, with my best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

svgegrdn HB User

Hello thanks for your reply. Ive been on synthroid for 12 years im only 33 but thyroid issues run in my family. I started off hyper but 2 years later turned hypo and have been since. I did have a cyst on my thyroid at one point 6 yrs ago but i havent been retested since. I dont necessarily think there might be anything more than the thyroid and vitiligo that would my ana to be slightly abnormal but everything ive read these disorders run in packs. I have another appt with a rheumatologist at the end of december and i guess we go from there. I also have an area on my uper chest that seems odd to me looks like i always have a sunburn. At this point im just waiting and seeing

Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi again. I'm no doctor (understatement), so I'm glad you're seeing you're seeing your rheumatologist in December.

Re: your upper chest redness. My sister is hypothyroid, has taken Synthroid for 6+ years, and her V-neck area always, and I mean ALWAYS, looks reddish & flushed. But I don't know if that's typical of hypothyroidism, you could ask. There's also a lupus skin rash called tumid lupus which looks like fiery reddishness in the V-neck area...

I know a woman with vitiligo & hypothyroidism, now in her 60's. She's had both since her mid-20's but has gone no further---so may those be ALL you get forever. Let us now how you're doing when you have the time. All my best, Vee

Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
(female)

svgegrdn HB User

Just had 14 different tests done what came back abnormal was this

Ana positive ar 1:80 homogeneous was 1:40 in october
Thyroglobulin. .6
Thyroglobulin antibody 201
Thyroid perixidose antibody > 1000

I assume this means i have hashimotos going back to doctor in january

Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
(female)

svgegrdn HB User

Just had 14 different tests done what came back abnormal was this

Ana positive ar 1:80 homogeneous was 1:40 in october
Thyroglobulin. .6
Thyroglobulin antibody 201
Thyroid perixidose antibody > 1000

I assume this means i have hashimotos going back to doctor in january

Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Good morning. From what I can gather, Thyrogloblin Ab elevates in Hashimoto's. On the other hand, Thyroid perioxidase Ab (TPO) elevates in Hashimoto's, also in Graves Disease, and maybe somewhat in some other autoimmunes; so for it, basic thryoid tests (TSH, T3, T4, etc.) are needed to put the result into perspective.

But I think you said earlier that you're definitely hypothyroid & have taken Synthroid for years... so my guess is that these recent results suggest Hashimoto's---but I'm only a patient, to put it mildly.

I hope people who know these tests better can add to this (I have lupus, it's my sis who has Hashimoto's). And you could also ask on the Thyroid Disorders Board.

Have you returned to the rheumatologist yet? Wishing you more clarity soon, best wishes, Vee

Reply Reply