It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

bluechamomile HB User
Swollen Lymph Node

Hi
I didn't know which board to post this on but I'll try here. The other day I accidently discovered a lump on the inside of my elbow so I looked it up right away. It's called the Cubital lymph node and mine is about the size of a walnut. Since my arms have a little extra weight it's hard to distinguish from fat so I really don't know how long it's been there. BUT I have experienced horrible fatigue for over a year and stange aches and pains in places I can't identify and I've never had before. Also I'm losing weight without trying. I'm a 57 yo single female and had been in decent health until 1-2 yrs ago. Also I get headaches, not bad but annoying.
Does anyone have familiarity with this? Should I have posted this on a different board??
I haven't made a Dr.'sappt YET because I have a feeling he will say I have an infection and prescribe an antibiotic and I think it is NOT an infection. No recent bug bites, no cold, haven't been anywhere.
Any advice??

Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Swollen Lymph Node

Yes, you do need to see your Dr. Here would be my suggestions: A lymph node in the antecubital space is rarely from infection and certainly not one the size of a walnut. HOWEVER, a lymph node and a firm lipoma, a benign fatty tumor, can feel the same. I would request an ultrasound of the lump to try to differentiate which it is first, and if ultrasound shows a node, it should be removed for biopsy. I would have all other lymph node areas checked by physical exam, plus liver and spleen, when you see your Dr. I would also request a complete blood count, chest xray, chemistry panel, urinalysis and thyroid tests to figure out the weight loss. The lump, fatigue and weight loss may or may not be related. If the lump is a node, they probably are, if the lump is a lipoma, they aren't and the reason should be sought. A screening for autoimmune diseases can be done as well, esp if there are other symptoms to suggest that or a family history. If the lump is a node, an excisional biopsy is preferred, as a needle biopsy often doesn't yield enough tissue for a definite diagnosis. Please get this checked out soon, and I hope the lump is just a lipoma, and nothing serious is going on with you.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
bluechamomile (10-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
bluechamomile (10-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply