It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

itpquestioner HB User
Severe Chronic ITP and Pregnancy complications

My gf has severe chronic ITP. She had ovarian cancer at 14 (she's 25 now) and after chemo aquired ITP. She's tried everything including a splenectomy but she now has to have regular transfusions. We found out last week that she was pregnant when she fainted, got to hospital and platelet count was 13. They did an emergency transfusion with enough to get her back to a 150 count but monday morning she was back to 95. We are waiting blood work again on Friday. We have a healthy 2 year old now but her last pregnancy required more than monthly transfusions and I'm not sure what other medications. It should also be known she has 2 of the 7 wbc counts extermemly low (also due to ITP), anemia and iron deficiencies that I am aware of.

My fear is that she's already dropped to a 13 this early in the pregnancy (5 weeks) and I think she's sugar coating her condition. She's hoping for the chance that her body will be able to carry a baby but I'm afraid she's risking her time with the child she has now. Everytime a woman has a child it robs her body of lots of important nutrients so will her quality of life be diminished? Is there a possibility? Is it possible the baby will have her condition even though the last didnt? I've read lots of studies and most refer to ITP as a result of pregnancy or mild versions. She is diagnosed severe and chronic. She's a worst case scenario as she requires regular transfusions to maintain counts between 70-100. The highest she's been is 121 and usually just above 70.

Whats the chances of her body producing blood platelets to an above 130 count after a transfusion? from what I see the platelets live 3-5 days...

I know its a lot of questions, but hopefully someone knowledgeable and willing to tell the likely scenario can chime in Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Severe Chronic ITP and Pregnancy complications

Hi & welcome. I know very little about ITP, but I wouldn't hazard guesses to your questions even if I knew more (sorry). That's because I'm only a patient (and have different problems), and because I totally agree with you that the stakes are high, for her, for you, for the new baby she's now carrying, and for your 2-year old.

Can you talk with your girlfriend frankly about your concerns? Then accompany her to appointments &/or procedures, where you could pose your questions to her doctors? If you can't launch a good talk, I'd probably try reasoning along the lines of "We're a couple, we're a family, we're in this together, what affects one of us affects us all." (I think this has the virtue of being totally true.)

You could also look into the "Blood and Blood Disorders" board, where posters have first-hand ITP experience. To find relevant posts, you could type "ITP" in the search box, then opt to search just that board. Once you get on a roll there, hopefully your girlfriend will also start posting herself.

I'm sorry for her issues and your concerns, and I hope something above helps a little. Let us know (here or another board) how you're all doing, when you have time. I wish all of you the best of luck. Sincerely, Vee

Reply Reply