It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

Katie4593 HB User
CT Scan revealed liver of 19.4 cm and Thoracolumbar Scoliosis, enlarged liver?

I am a 19 year old female who is being treated for high blood pressure (170/90), I eat healthy, work out and weigh 120 pounds so the doctor ordered a CT Angiography to rule out Renal Artery Stenosis. Through the patient portal I was able to reveal my results online today. Luckily my kidneys are functioning well but the CT scan reveled Thoracolumbar Scoliosis, and then they said my spleen, etc was not enlarged but then they said my Liver measures 19.4 cm, which I believe is slightly above the normal size. As a side note, I recently had a liver enzymes blood test done which came back normal, but I'm waiting for results for an Autoimmune blood test because I keep getting reoccurring outbreaks of rashes on my hands/arms. Does anyone know if this liver size is considered large & what can be the causes if my liver enzymes were apparently normal, could an autoimmune disease do this? I have a follow up appointment tomorrow with my doctor

Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: CT Scan revealed liver of 19.4 cm and Thoracolumbar Scoliosis, enlarged liver?

Hi, Katie. Welcome! I don't know what size a normal liver is (sorry) but it would seem to be good news that your liver enzymes tested normal. I think only a proper doctor can explain what your findings mean, and what tests might logically be done next to investigate your high BP, rashes, scoliosis, plus anything else an eagle-eyed professional might observe by seeing you in person.

I'm no doctor, to put it mildly, but I imagine that autoimmunity is one possibility. But that "general" ANA test is slippery, I think, kind of fuzzy". I say that because ANA alone isn't diagnostic of any one thing. Instead, ANA may be positive in a number of conditions; or mildly elevated only due to a passing infection or virus, age (that one's n/a to you), or a family tendency. If ANA is meaningfully positive and symptoms are present, then *more specific* autoantibody tests are typically run.

Sometimes ANA and more specific autoantibody tests are run simultaneously, a good thing my book. That's because it's possible to have some AI's WITHOUT a positive ANA. There's a limited *cutaneous-only* form of lupus called discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), in which patients are ANA-negative and do not have circulating autoantibodies. Another example: in Ro-lupus, a form of *systemic* lupus, patients are ANA-negative but have anti-Ro circulating in their blood; however Ro-lupus is very rare. (But I only use those examples because I'm familiar with lupus. I have it.)

You may be sent for a dermatology consult, because rashes are virtually impossible to diagnose accurately based solely on appearance. I'd expect questions like, How does rash feel (itch, burn, etc.)? How often does it appear, and how long does it last? Does it scar or depigment? Can you correlate it to anything? (One example would be UV exposure.) Do you feel any different when your rash is "on the rise"? And of course, what OTHER symptoms are you experiencing?

I hope you post & let us know how your appt. and AI tests went. There are more specific boards here you could try, depending on what this round reveals. (Of course you could try those anytime.) Anyway, I hope your appt. today moves you ahead. Wishing you good luck, with warm wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
autoimmune disease, enlarged liver, liver