It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

rcateyes34 HB User
Blotchy red rash on chest and arms

I have had this blotchy red rash on my arms and chest (torso) and can be seen vaguely on my face . for almost a year. I have been to pc and he is saying that its Flushing, no reason why Meds? Savella for FM ,,, Been to Dermatologist for a different rash, and showed them, and they are not concerned. I am seeing my Rheumatologist today, and will be showing him and talking about AI testing, due to increased level of pain and new symptoms over the last year. This particular rash, never goes away, seems to be flat or under my skin, gets very red and blotchy after hot bath, shower or being in the sun. Doesn't itch or burn, Anyone out there have this going on?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Blotchy red rash on chest and arms

Hi. I used to get lacelike mottling that looked like a fishnet under the skin surface of arms/legs. It may have been "livedo reticularis". I believe that's caused by disruptions to blood circulation and isn't considered serious. Also, that it's not specific to a single condition like lupus, and that it can also occur in the absence of any underlying condition.

But mine did come & go somewhat, in the sense it was much more prominent after hot showers, sun, etc. Also, it didn't have distinct borders and wasn't of a measurable expanse: it was widespread, sort of a general fishnet look. In contrast, my lupus-specific lesions had very distinct borders.

My sister had a seemingly permanent widespead flushing on V-neck area & face. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, now takes Synthroid, and her skin looks more normal now. But whether her flush in any way related to her thyroid condition, I don't know (sorry).

The malar rash (butterfly) seen in lupus does have shape, which apparently can differ somewhat among patients; but it spares the nasal folds, those indented lines from outer edge of nose to corners of lips. By definition, a malar is only on the face, but I think widespread ACLE rashes (Acute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus) are possible. Unfortunately, I don't know what those look like... but I *suspect* they'd have discernible "borders". (That's a guess, but maybe a good question?)

I hope above suggests add'l terms by which you could describe your blotches. When you see your rheumatologist today, I'd just show him, along with everything else you discuss. Can't hurt & maybe he'll know---or at least be able to rule out certain things. Good luck today! Bye, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

P.S. Regarding that "livedo reticularis" I mentioned. Although it's general and can occur in multiple conditions or all by itself, I believe another AI in which it's seen is "antiphospholipid syndrome", abbreviated APS; APS can occur with lupus. So the lupus board is another place you could check out, if you wish. Bye again, Vee

Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
(male)

ScottDallas HB User
Thumbs up Blotchy red rash on chest and arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcateyes34 View Post
I have had this blotchy red rash on my arms and chest (torso) and can be seen vaguely on my face . for almost a year. I have been to pc and he is saying that its Flushing, no reason why Meds? Savella for FM ,,, Been to Dermatologist for a different rash, and showed them, and they are not concerned. I am seeing my Rheumatologist today, and will be showing him and talking about AI testing, due to increased level of pain and new symptoms over the last year. This particular rash, never goes away, seems to be flat or under my skin, gets very red and blotchy after hot bath, shower or being in the sun. Doesn't itch or burn, Anyone out there have this going on?
Quote:
I nearly have the same exact symptoms you describe; below are the similarities:

For the last year I have this blotchy red rash on my chest now spreading towards my neck and onto my shoulders. It never goes away, seems to be flat or under my skin, gets very red and blotchy after hot bath, shower or sun exposure. Doesn't itch or burn.

Have you received a diagnosis yet?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The rashes associated with AI conditions like lupus, can just look like flushing or redness, and it is quite typical for the redness to appear after sun exposure or after hot water on skin, hot weather, exercise, even alcohol ingestion. You are right to ask for some AI testing in view of this and the increase in your pain, etc. Let us know how your appointment goes. I think the rheum will recognize this as something significant. If nothing shows up on your blood tests, you could get a skin biopsy done with immunoflourescent studies to look for immune complexes in the skin.

Reply Reply

Tags
blotchy, flushing, rash on arm, rash on torso