It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
(male)

john44 HB User
Can you identify this rash please?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90732615@N07/
This non-itchy rash developed early October along with cold symptoms (cough, sore throat, laryngitis). This picture was taken about a month later and is a little faded, sorry. A week after my cold symptoms, I developed nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. I had cold sores, and also blotchy rashes also appeared on my torso that were raised and clustered. A week after my stomach issues, my eyes started to crust in the morning and were incredibly red. My vision sometimes blurred and my eyes started to go out of focus.

During all this sickness, I also developed neurological issues almost overnight. My hands started trembling and and my legs soon developed the same trembling. The shaking/trembling becomes unbearable during exercise and my whole body becomes fatigued quickly. Along with this, I have developed insomnia and body-wide painless twitching. My feet have also been numb on and off.

I'm not sure if Autoimmune is the right place for this, but I just need any sort of direction. I'm otherwise healthy. I've been tested for many things. No evident electrolyte problems (other than the vomiting day when I was dehydrated). I did test positive for EBV, but it was not an active infection. The clear centered rash had me thinking Lyme Disease but there are many question marks for me with it. I am not in a Lyme endemic area, and Lyme Disease would not progress so rapidly from Stage 1- to neurological issues overnight, would it? My Lyme Western Blot came back with IgM p23 present, but the second test revealed no abnormalities.

As of right now, it can be anything, parasitic, fungal, bacterial, viral, or toxic. Even with the neurologic issues I never really got a fever over 100 F, so it seems unlikely that something got to my brain. Also my monocyte value was quite elevated after my flu, and my B12 values are elevated.

Thank you,
John

Last edited by Administrator; 12-04-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Can you identify this rash please?

John, hi. I'm sorry you're having these problems. I actually think Lyme is common from Maine to Maryland, which would include Rhode Island. But whether this red rash is the "erythema migrans" seen in Lyme, I'm not a doctor & can't know. But the symptoms you list do seem in the ballpark, judging from the people I know who've had Lyme.

What kinds of doctors have you seen? Did those include a dermatologist? Are you near any teaching hospitals?

I know Lyme & erythema migrans have "differential diagnoses". Were any described to you and tested for? Also, I think I've read that in Lyme, labs are less revealing when done early, when the rash (if any) is new-ish.

Were you given Doxycycline? (I took it for 21 days when my lupus-specific targetlike rash was misdiagnosed as Lyme. But my lesions were truly targetlike: red rims with completely clear centers, perfectly round in their middle stage, football-shaped in their final stage---but always with true central clearing.)

My thought is that whether this is Lyme or not, that's a logical thing to keep looking at, including all its differential diagnoses. HB does have a Lyme board; you could check it out & post there if you haven't already.

Sorry above is so limited. I really hope others chip in with their thoughts. Wishing you real answers soon, sincerely, Vee

Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
(male)

john44 HB User

Thank you Veej,
I am from Rhode Island, but being at college in Louisiana this semester has complicated my issues quite a bit. I have only seen three doctors - the student PCP at college, my PCP at home, and my eye doctor at home. There was no eye damage and my PCP at home believed it was Lyme and gave my Doxy, but it didn't work and the second test came back negative. I am planning on seeing a neurologist at home.
Right now, my legs are extremely unstable and twitchy. I'm fatigued all the time and have red soles on my feet. Also, my extremeties will go numb very easily if they are compressed for a minute.
Any chance a fungus in my dorm has been causing all these symptoms??
Thanks

Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

John, did IgG, IgM and Western blot all come back positive? I'm not clear on what you meant by your phrase "the second test" in your initial post. Bye, Vee

Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
(male)

john44 HB User

I asked for a Western Blot from the Student Health Center, and received a negative CDC interpretation, but I tested positive for one band in IgM. That band is p23. The second Western Blot came back negative a month later. I'm not sure if any bands were reactive, I didn't see it.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

John, I recommend that you now try that Lyme board & ask if you had ALL tests usually done, what the first set means, ditto for the second (does taking the antibiotic alter subsequent labs?). And the big question, how long can Lyme neuro symptoms persist (if this is Lyme) after taking the antibiotic?

Back on the AI front: back when your symptoms first erupted, did your eyelids turn color, like a reddish-violet? There's an AI in which that can occur called dermatomyositis. In it, rashes can occur elsewhere on the body as well, and muscles become inflamed and weak. You could ask about it on the Myositis board.

We've all seen TV segments where toxic mold is lurking in homes, but I actually think that's pretty rare. And I bet there are other possibilities we're not even aware of, so I'm glad you booked with a neurologist who will properly assess you. That's your best bet, obviously. But if you start feeling worse before then, please see a doctor ASAP. Best wishes, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 12-06-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

P.S. Last night I forgot to say that I've seen a chart of the probability of early Lyme vs. previous infection vs. active infection vs. not Lyme. What the chart does: it maps the three tests---IgM, IgG and Western Blot---in all possible combos. Try the folks on the Lyme board, they'd know more. Best wishes, Vee

Reply Reply