It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

seellmer85 HB User
Angry Hashimoto and Hives

I have had hives for 83 days and I am getting frustrated. Eventually the doctors determined that I have hashimoto's disease and an allergist determined that my hives are autoimmune vasculitis. That's all dandy but the only medication that will keep the hives away is steroids and I am packing on the pounds. I also went to rhemy and they determined that I also have psoriasis (lucky me) i am waiting for my second rhemy appointment to go over bloodwork. At one point it was brought up to take plaquenil to help with the hives but the doctors are afraid it will cause a psoriasis flare up, at this point I would rather have dry skin that itchy hives 24/7. Anyone been in a similar situation and have suggestions? I am starting to lose my mind!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hashimoto and Hives

It's the TPO antibodies which cause Hashimoto's and also cause the hives. If you can reduce the TPOs, it might help with the hives. You probably can't eliminate them totally, but you might be able to reduce the titer up to 40% by taking a daily dose of selenium. Start with 200 mcgs for one month and reduce to 100 mcgs daily after that. If you take a multivitamin supplement, check the ingredients for selenium so that you won't exceed the 200/100 mcgs. Too much Se isn't good.

Also, treating the thyroid disease with supplemental hormone could reduce the antibody activity. I hope you've been given some!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I'm sorry for your problems. This will sound way out of left field, but did your drs. prove your psoriasis diagnosis via all proper and usual tests? I ask because there's a lupus rash called "subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus, psoriasiform or papulosquamous form" (abbreviated SCLE) that looks like psoriasis, but isn't.

I had 8 years of the second SCLE rash, called SCLE annular, which is targetlike in appearance. I had an awful time getting answers. 8 local dermatologists came up with "idiopathic rash of unknown etiology", doctor-speak for "we have no idea". Because I had other issues way beyond the rash, I took myself to a teaching hospital rheumatologist. He also sent me to a dermatopathologist for the 64k skin test for patients with my various symptoms: a lupus band test, which is deep-punch biopsy coupled with immunofluorescent stain tests. Those stains can very often (but not always) fluoresce in linear bands considered virtually diagnostic of lupus.

Here are some things that may help distinguish SCLE rashes from psoriasis, but I pose some as questions b/c I've never had psoriasis and I'm not a doctor.
1. The two SCLE rashes tend not to itch, but I think psoriasis does?
2. The SCLE rashes are typically extremely photosenstive, whereas I think psoriasis improves with sun?
3. The anti-Ro autoantibody is very often seen in SCLE, and ANA is positive about 70% of the time. I don't know what blood findings are seen in psoriasis.

I have cutaneous vasculitis, too, but not the hive-like urticarial kind. I believe cutaneous vasculitis occurs in multiple conditions, not just Hashimoto's. Of course hive-like eruptions can also occur due to allergies, drug reactions, etc.

BTW, I've read what you were told about Plaquenil, that it exacerbates psoriasis, unfortunately leaving steroids as the next viable option for cutaneous vasculitis that requires treatment in someone who also has psoriasis.

I was diagnosed with lupus some years ago, and my only sibling with Hashimoto's, so I'm aware that symptoms of Hashimoto's can overlap a lot with ones seen in other conditions. I also have a friend with psoriatic arthritis (you see ads for that one on TV). Have you visited your library? My sis & I finally realized that most comprehensive info on the AI's is in books.

Obviously I'm just a patient, meaning very limited by definition. I totally realize that what I just wrote are viable points ONLY if you don't have proof-positive for your dx'es, OR if symptoms have your doctors still looking for other things "rheumatological". Give a yell if anything catches your eye. I sure hope you get some relief soon, one way or another. Best wishes, sincerely, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 12-05-2012 at 04:33 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
(female)

monkeypants5 HB User

I'm currently dealing with the same thing. As I type this, my eyes are almost completely swollen shut, my lips and chin are swollen and my neck is covered in hives. I was in the ER about 3 weeks ago with a serious case of angioedema. I knew it was related to my thyoid, I could "just tell". I had an abnormal thyroid u/s about 6 months prior, yet the Endo who reviewed the results wanted to take the "wait and see" approach and told me to come back in a year. After the ER visit, I went straight to my primary dr. and demanded they do a blood test. My TgAb (antibodies) came back at 609 (reference 0-40). Went to another endo who diagnosed Hashi's but laughed at me when I made the connection between the hives/angioedema and the high antibodies. He even recommended a psychologist because he figured they were "stress/anxiety" related.

So now I'm at a loss. I need to find a dr. who will treat both issues. I know that small doses of thyroid hormone will reduce antibodies, yet they won't prescribe it because my T3 and T4 are still in the normal range. I'm fortunate to have a friend whose good friend is an Immunologist/Allergist at Mayo. He's sent over all my info, labs, symptoms and we're waiting to hear back. I'm hoping he offers some advice! My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow and I look like a monster!!! UGH!!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Monkeypants, I've heard what you wrote, that drs. don't treat when TSH is still normal despite positive antibodies. A friend was watched regularly by her endocrinologist for roughly one year; as soon as levels warranted, she started therapy. Apparently overreplacement brings on problems too, so that's why they wait, or so she was told.

Endo #1 telling you to return in a year sounds a little unfeeling to me. I thought the rule of thumb was 6-12 mos. My friend's TSH and cholesterol were checked every 3 mos. As for Endo #2 recommending therapy: snarky & contemptible! (I got that a lot, too.)

I hope the Mayo doctors come up with something safe & helpful for your thryoid concerns & hives. You could also check out the Thyroid Disorders board to see what people there might offer. Good luck! Vee

Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
(female)

metallys HB User

Back in 2006, I was having thyroid problems. My antibodies were in the upper 200's with a reference up to 40 i think. I was diagnosed with hashimotos. I was on meds for 3 months before my numbers swung too far the other way so I stopped taking the meds. My numbers normalized and I haven't had to be on anything since.

Anyway, at that time I was also dealing with dermographism. Any light scratch on my body developed into an itchy hive within a minute or so. My doc was baffled. This lasted about 9-12 months before it just went away.
I absolutely believe the hives are related to the antibodies.

Now for the odd part. I had my thyroid re-tested last month. no antibodies were found at all. How does that just disappear?? My TSH is low now, but just barely. My other thyroid levels were fine. Now I'm dealing with something else... fibromyalgia or something. Still trying to figure out the constant muscular pain/aching. I have a small feeling all these oddities are related somehow.

Anyway, the point of this post is, you aren't alone with with the thyroid & hive issue.

Reply Reply

Tags
hashimoto, hives