It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
(female)

jersey mom HB User
False Positive Lyme Due to Auto Disorder?????

Hello,

On top of a range of other health issues, I recently got a false positive Lyme test. Two different Infectious Disease doctors have said that I may have an autoimmune disorder and that that can sometimes cause a false positive Lyme result. Has anyone else experienced this?? Thanks for your time....

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: False Positive Lyme Due to Auto Disorder?????

Hi, Jersey Mom. I'm curious which of your tests was negative. I'm assuming at least one test was, else you'd not be asking about false-positives? Anyway, someone raised a somewhat similar question a few months ago, and I just found info I'd saved, a chart of positive/negative combinations.

If one of these combos fits, knowing which "Ig" was positive might give you something to look up , to see in what conditions that particular "Ig" elevates? (btw, the interpretations in the chart are all labelled "likely interpretation", so I'm assuming these aren't 100% hard & fast rules.)

Positive IgM, positive IgG, positive WB: Lyme likely

Positive IgM, negative IgG, negative WB: early infection or false positive

Negative IgM, positive IgG, positive WB: late Lyme, or had Lyme previously

Negative IgM, negative IgG, negative WB: likely not Lyme, with symptoms being caused by something else, OR Lyme possible but with antibody levels too low to detect.

Hope you post again sometime soon, with best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
(female)

jenzed9607 HB User
Re: False Positive Lyme Due to Auto Disorder?????

I have the same problem. I am positive by Igenex standards but when I have a CDC Lyme test through Prov Labs (in Canada)I was only positive on the c6 enzyme (previously Elisa) so a Western Blot was done and neg. So the CDC Dr. Without seeing me or knowing any of my symptoms said it was a false positive. I have spent thousands trying find out what with me (and we have a lot of health care covered by taxes) but in lieu of anything else, don't know what could be giving me these horrible symptoms.

What immune diseases have been suggested? A neurologist thought maybe MS with me because of hyperreflexes but my MRI was clear. I know your frustration!

Reply Reply