It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
(male)

Neknella HB User
auto immune haemalytic aneamia

I am trying to find a common factor in people getting this problem. I originally got AIHA after having Eye treatment and have found articles relating to the drug Chloramphenicol which is used in eye treatment stating that it can cause blood problems such as anaemia.

Have any other of you had eye treatment prior to getting AIHA? Please let me know

Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: auto immune haemalytic aneamia

The drug has indeed an adverse side effect of anemia but that is aplastic anemia, not Hemolytic anemia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
(male)

Neknella HB User

Thanks for the info, but what is the difference as I am not medical

Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Hemolytic anemia happens when your red blood cells die before they are supposed to. Aplastic anemia is when your bone marrow doesn't make enough or any of all the cell types in your blood.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Neknella, I got curious & read some about AIHA. It looks like there are 3 main types: warm, cold agglutin, and paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria. (However, that 3rd type seems to apply just to children.) In AIHA, as Luca said, your body makes enough red blood cells but they're being killed off prematurely by *unwanted autoantibodies* produced by your immune system.

Each AIHA type can be primary (standalone) or secondary (seen in conjunction with a primary disease). The most common causes vary by type, also whether the AIHA is primary or secondary. So knowing which type you have (cold vs warm) could help you look into the likeliest causes. However, primary AIHA is often idiopathic, meaning of unknown cause. But some of the underlying conditions mentioned for secondary AIHA are lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Hodgkin's, etc.

The only causal drugs I saw mentioned looked like chemo drugs---but maybe other drugs are cited elsewhere, I don't know.

If I were you, my first question would be: what type do I have (warm or cold)? And because AIHA can be secondary to another condition, was I evaluated---or should I be be evaluated?---for underlying conditions like lupus, RA, etc.?

Sorry, the article was more complex than I expected (they always are, it seems). Hope this helps some. Let us know how you're doing. Warm wishes, Vee

Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
(male)

Neknella HB User

Thanks for the info, don't know what type I have. I have an antibody that is killing off my red cells. Just finished a treatment of Octagam which did not work and they are now going to try me on an infused steroid blast (high dose). My blood has been as high as 13 and as low as 7, when they usually give me a blood transfusion.
I will ask the question about which I have warm or cold? They have tested for other conditions and non have been found so I assume that this is primary.

Many thanks, Ken

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Ken, I think that's the very essense of AIHA: you test positive for an autoantibody that's destroying your red blood cells. Those of us who have been diagnosed with an AI & who post on this board have one or more ab's, depending on our condition(s).

I hope you keep reading, posting, and asking questions of your doctors. Above all, that the upcoming steroid treatment brings fast results. Hang tough, best wishes, Vee

Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

P.S. Ken, another thought. AIHA is one of those conditions on which patients may have posted on other boards, such as Anemia, Immune Disorders, Blood Disorders, etc. You could try an "Advanced Search" [see the blue bar below the HB logo] & maybe find more AIHA patients "hiding" on other boards. Bye, Vee

Reply Reply