It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

stephaflea HB User
my boyfriend has graves disease

I would love some advice on this!

My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with graves disease, I am pretty sure they have caught it fairly early, and he has been put straight on medication to manage the hyperthyroidism. After doing some initial research I was not too worried, it looks manageable; but after reading threads where the disease has torn relationships/marriages/families apart I have become worried.

we have been together for quite a while now and are familiar with health complications, I have had a chronic pain condition since I was 14 years old, so coming up 6 years, this has at times made things hard for my partner. he went through periods where he felt helpless/worried. I feel now I am in his position, I have no idea how to help him, I am being supportive and am not going anywhere, we have a very strong relationship.

are there any tips/ ways to help him manage his condition, to support him better?

The following user gives a hug of support to stephaflea:
Mamaof4girls (03-06-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: my boyfriend has graves disease

My husband has Graves disease and I have Hashimoto's. We have been together for oh 24 years now. Best advice is to make sure to follow through with his treatment plan, and to make sure that his thyroid levels are monitored until he stablizes, but I am sure that his doctors are doing just that! Make sure he takes any medication as directed by his dr or pharmacist. Don't fret or worry overmuch. It is a manageable disease and shouldn't cause undue stress. Any condition, even a cold, can cause fractures in a relationship if there are underlying issues. Most folks deal with these things just fine. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

Mamaof4girls HB User
Re: my boyfriend has graves disease

I have had Graves Disease for 2 years now, my husband has been very supportive ;-) !! My girls are very humorous, so that helps me every day! They are 10, 8, 3, and 11 months. Its been a rocky road at times, like when I was first diagnosed. The anxiety was horrible! But now I am lots better, just trying to get my levels to a normal range still. My hubby and I have been together for 17 years!! and married 13 in April Just make sure he takes his medicine right and has regular check-ups!

Reply Reply

Tags
graves disease, management, partner