It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

KG5634 HB UserKG5634 HB User
SED rate affected by taking anti-inflamatories ?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if taking anti-inflamatories for the past 7 years would affect my SED rate. I have been in a tremendous amount of muscle/ joint pain as well as fatigue for a number of years. The anti inflamatories are only one of many medications I take for a horrible back. I have undergone 4 spinal surgeries for it and am still in a great deal of pain. The all over pain has gradually been increasing over the past few yrs. I have been in a tremendous amount of all over pain and went to my regular dr yesterday. My SED rate is slightly elevated, 35, and was wondering if the medication would lower it. I'm assuming in theory it should...since that is the point of the medication. I should have asked my dr when he called before...but didn't think of it until after I hung up. Thanks for any info.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: SED rate affected by taking anti-inflamatories ?

Hi. Whether meds lower sed rate is something I'd looked into during the years I was seeking a diagnosis. Apparently NSAID's and steroids *may* lower it, but aspirin may either lower or elevate it. Also, there are meds that can "falsely elevate" it and meds that can "falsely lower" it. Finally, there seem to be conditions that can "spuriously elevate" it, like severe anemia.

Well... not a very good answer...! I think you should review with your doctor in the context of ALL the meds you've taken. I'm sorry for your back problems & multiple surgeries, that's an awful lot to deal with. A close friend has degenerative disc disease and is headed to surgery #3. His sed rate is always a little high, but that proves nothing since you're different patients with different meds & conditions... so I hope your doctor can provide a clear answer. Good luck & best wishes, Vee

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
KG5634 (02-16-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
auto immune disease, fybromyalgia, joint and muscle pain