It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

JosieLane HB User
Can it still be a thyroid problem if your weight is normal?

Haven't been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease yet. Symptoms are Uveitis, joint pain and hives. I've been tested for a lot of things, but one thing they never checked out was my thyroid.

But, I'm wondering if it's worth getting looked at. Is weight ALWAYS affected when there's a thyroid problem? I've never had an issue with weight. I am on the petite side, but that's my whole family.

Lately, areas on my neck have been 'swollen' (?). It could just be lymph nodes; maybe I'm getting a cold. But, wondering what else it could be.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Can it still be a thyroid problem if your weight is normal?

Absolutely not, weight is not always an indicator of a thyroid issue.
You thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland (?) at the base of your throat. Swollen lymph nodes would be noticeable closer to your ears. Feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You can have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune) at a stage where your hormone levels are normal. This can cause hives and joint pain. You need to get anti TPO and anti-TG antibodies tested and some other tests related to autoimmune disease. Your PCP could order the anti-thyroid antibodies (first 2) and some basic tests to look at autoimmune diseases like lupus and RA. If anything is positive, an endo or rheum may be needed.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
(female)

JosieLane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
You can have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune) at a stage where your hormone levels are normal. This can cause hives and joint pain. You need to get anti TPO and anti-TG antibodies tested and some other tests related to autoimmune disease. Your PCP could order the anti-thyroid antibodies (first 2) and some basic tests to look at autoimmune diseases like lupus and RA. If anything is positive, an endo or rheum may be needed.
Thank you.

That was actually why I asked. I read a couple stories from people who seemed to have the same story as mine and they were eventually diagnosed with Hashimoto's.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I agree that thyroid problems are possible in people of normal weight. My tiniest close friend had thyroid tests rerun for 1-2 years before being dx'ed with Hashimoto's, and her weight stayed constant (tiny!) that whole time.

But because swollen glands can occur for multiple reasons, like Ladybug said, I agree that you'll want your doctors to take a broad view (as opposed to prematurely narrowing their thinking down to ONLY thryoid). Let us know how you're faring, OK? Best wishes to you, Vee

Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
(female)

mistakes101 HB User

I have had hives that just appear for really no reason. I notice them more often when I am really agitated, hot or cold. The last visit to my doctor they tested me for Hashimoto's and the test were positive for this auto-immune disorder. Although the tests were normal, the doctor said there really isn't any treatment for this disorder; does anyone know of treatments for this disorder? I am so tired of ailments and disorders in my life...I want to be normal.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Sometimes people with Hashimoto's are treated with low dose thyroid replacement even if hormones are normal to put the thyroid gland "at rest". You can also take antihistamines and anti-inflammatories to reduce the hives/ inflammation in the gland, particularly if the gland is enlarged, tender or aching and uncomfortable. Even OTC Naproxen can help with that. I would talk to Dr about thyroid replacement at low doses so your gland can stop working to produce hormones, and see if you feel better.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
(female)

sarahin HB User

YES!!! My weight was normal and my thyroid levels were "profoundly" high . If you read up on Graves (hyperthyroidism) you will find that if you have normal weight levels it does not mean that it can't be Graves. I've been treated and now my levels are low and I did gain a little weight. That being said, I never had any joint pain. The thyroid is just below the adam's apple. Is that where the swelling is? Hope they find out what is going on with you. Best of luck.

Last edited by sarahin; 03-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
(female)

mistakes101 HB User

Thanks Ladybud! Unfortunately, I am already on thyroid meds and I have been since age 17. I take about 10 benedryl a day for my hives. I am unable to take any kind of anti-inflammatory meds because I am allergic to NSAIDS and I recently learned that I am also allergic to prednisone (oral only). If I get a steroid shot I don't have the same reaction to the steroid. As you can see, I am doing all of the normal things that one would do. Can anyone give me any advice other than the things like thyroid meds and NSAIDS? I would really appreciate all of your help.

Reply Reply