It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
(female)

rightnow HB User
Question Diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

I recently got a blood test and was told I have Hashimoto's. I have another appt with my doctor for a few days from now, and an ultrasound for my thyroid next week. My doctor has already prescribed me medication, but Idk when I'll start taking that till I talk to her this week.

My question is, what should I expect from the ultrasound? Do they usually tell the patient if they see something right away or do they make you wait? Will I end up having to have a biopsy?

I've been a nervous wreck since all of this started. I have so many symptoms, and it seems like there's a new one every week these days. I started having trouble swallowing last year, I just recently starting coughing more, kind of feels like i'm inhaling water sometimes.

I have bad anxiety issues, and I had for the first time quite a few panic attacks between last year and this year. I feel severely depressed and nervous all of the time (I can't stop thinking about death and impending doom, it's been this way for a few years now). My insomnia is really really bad, the symptoms are practically endless.

Is this disease life threatening? If I end up having cancer, what exactly happens then? Is it possible since I've been diagnosed with this disease that I could be prescribed some type of ani anxiety medication? Do I have to wait and see if the thyroid medication they give me will work, first?

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right. I appreciate all the help anyone can give me. Thank you for your time.

Btw I am 19 years old

Last edited by rightnow; 03-25-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added my age

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Hi & welcome. Several of my friends with Hashimoto's had thyroid biopsies but *only because nodules were found on ultrasound*. With luck, your ultrasound won't turn up nodules requiring biopsy. But even if the US does, I believe that thryoid cancer is quite rare and quite treatable---but best of all, that most thyroid nodules are benign. So please don't panic yet.

Easy to say, huh? I do understand, from my own checkered past, that it's hard to maintain a good mood when facing tests, so I hope you read more & gain some comfort & confidence, once you see how good your odds are.

Another thought: you could check out the Thyroid board where more Hashimoto's patients might be regular visitors. To navigate there, click "Find a Board" (blue bar above); in the resulting display, look under the "Other" category---or click to re-sort the resulting display into alpha order.

My thyroid is OK (I have lupus), but I wanted to say hi, so I thought I'd write. Wherever you choose to post---here, thyroid, both---I hope you get feedback from people with firsthand experience. Hang in there, OK? Sending warm wishes & a big hug, Vee

The following user gives a hug of support to VeeJ:
rightnow (03-27-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
rightnow (03-27-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
(male)

aspab HB User

Hi.. I feel first of all, u should not get concerned about symptoms, they are common. Just get a list of all possible symptoms from sites, and if they are found in you , just connect and relax.

2nd is think positive and donot get panicky.Worst is you may have to go for surgery and life time medication.

It is my experience , if you eat moderately, walk for 5 kms a day, take lot of vegetables boiled and fruits ... you will manage and feel normal inspite of all the symptom. Keep heart and Nature/Divine intelligence inside will handle the troubled cells with the guidance of your physician.

Feel positive , take action as mentioned above for walking and food, and follow the advice of doctor. Donot brood , for it makes your immunity down and your symptoms magnify making you miserable ... this is all I can say with my experience. Best |Wishes and Prayers to you

The following user gives a hug of support to aspab:
rightnow (03-27-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to aspab For This Useful Post:
rightnow (03-27-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Hi Rightnow. I have Hashi's as diagnosed by antibodies. I would imagine that your Dr is just being cautious by ordering the ultrasound. An enlarged thyroid is very common with Hashi's and usually no big deal. Thyroid problems and anxiety often go hand in hand and it may be that your anxiety and panic attacks start lessening once you are on optimum therapy. Same for insomnia -( boy did I have that!). Your ideal state might take a bit of tweaking so you might have to go in for a few blood tests. Hashi's is not life threatening in the classical sense. If you don't get treated and your thyroid fails catastrophically it could be life threatening over time, but that doesn't happen nowadays. You just take your medicine and get monitored and you are basically good to go. No big deal. As far as the ultrasound, if they do find nodules, your Dr will tell you if there is anything to be concerned about. Most nodules are benign and don't need to be biopsied and are just part of the disease. As to the antianxiety medications, talk to your Dr. There may be something that can help you short term or there may be ways to combat it without drugs. Hang in there. If you spend all your time worrying about the rarest chance of something wrong, you'll miss all the time you can spend on doing stuff that is right and fun, LOL. Best wishes!

The following user gives a hug of support to luca689:
rightnow (03-27-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to luca689 For This Useful Post:
rightnow (03-27-2013)
Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, coughing, depression, hashimoto's, thyroid