It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

mmyls14 HB User
RA Latex Turbid- Test Results 257.5 IU/ML

I recently had a complete blood work and my doctor just referred me to a Rheumatologist because my RA latex turbid results are 257.5 which he stated is extremely high. However, my ANA was negative but I was tested over a year ago from a different doctor and my ANA was positive. The reason I saw a second doctor is because my original doctor ended his practice and i wanted to get a second opinion which I did.

I now know I might have rheumatoid arthritis but not 100% sure until I see the rheumatologist. I've also had other symptoms that come and go like: fatigue, general weakness, occasionally low-grade fever (usually in the afternoons) joint pain, stiffness in the morning but goes away after I'm up, warmth hands limited motions (not always) bruise easily, rash or red marks around my body usually in the hands/arms and very bad muscle spasms (usually in my feet or legs)

I'm trying to see if anyone else has had or has these symptoms and to see if it's definitely rheumatoid arthritis.

Feeling achy and miserable all the time.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: RA Latex Turbid- Test Results 257.5 IU/ML

Hi. I'm just a patient so please take what I say next with a BIG grain of salt. Because you mention hand & arm rashes, I also wonder if lupus is a possibility? Here are some thoughts & questions:

I've read that people with lupus can have a positive RF... but I don't know whether the "RA Latex Turbid" test you cited is ever positive in lupus (sorry). I hope someone who knows this test will comment more.

In addition to RA Latex Turbid, were you also tested for a whole slew of specific autoantibodies like anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, anti-RNP, antiphospholipid, etc.?

Some people can have symptoms of both lupus and RA. This is sometimes referred to as "rhupus".

Most, but not all, people with the systemic form of lupus do have a positive ANA. The exceptions are people with positive anti-Ro in whom ANA remains negative. These people can meet < 4, 4, or > 4 of the 11 lupus ACR criteria.

But it's mainly your comment about your rash that made me wonder about lupus. The two best-known lupus-specific rashes are malar (facial butterfly) and discoid (scarring), and both are included in the ACR criteria for diagnosing SLE. However---and this the part that surprises---there are perhaps a dozen *more* lupus-specific rashes not cited in the criteria. So anyone who has one of those *other* lupus rashes may find that doctors don't recognize them. That's what happened to me: I had one called Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus (SCLE), the annular form; and I saw 8 local dermatologists before finally heading to a teaching hospital where I got answers quickly.

You could find the ACR criteria for diagnosing SLE on the lupus board---also other "sticky posts" (permanent info posts), including one about skin problems in lupus. If something there rings bells with you, I hope you'llpost more there or here.

And if you want to describe your rash in more detail, that might get more feedback, too. For example, is it photosensitive? On what part of arms & hands does it appear? (Mine favored outer part of upper arms and my back; those locations fooled my local dermies.) What does it look like? Does it itch, hurt, burn, etc.? Does it scar or depgiment? How long does it last (meaning does it come & go)?

As for symptoms, I had the ones you listed, plus GI misery and bladder misery, and migraines.

Anyway, I'm glad you found us & hope that you post again soon. With warm wishes, sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: RA Latex Turbid- Test Results 257.5 IU/ML

The RA turbid latex test is just a specific test for RF factor, FWIW. And apparently RA can come with rashes too. The most serious is vasculitis, just off the top of my head. Like Vee, I am just a patient, though so consulting with your rheumatologist is the best place for answers. and like she mentions, there are crossovers like rhupus. Wishing you the best!

Reply Reply