It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

LuvlyAthena HB User
Unhappy Test results in, not sure whats going on :-(

Hello everyone. I have a couple known health problems which are currently being regulated which include hypo active thyroid for 10 yrs and diabetes type 2 for just over a year. Over the past 3 yrs i've had crazy symptoms that nobody can put a name to. My eye doc told me of Sjogrens so my doc ran a few tests and here's the results:

CR Protein: 0.4 normal
Sedimentation Rate Westergreen: 20, borderline but normal
RF: 10, normal i believe
ANA: 1:40, debatable if it's normal, borderline or positive

Problem is, my insurance runs out in 6 days and i was hoping to be closer to a few answers. I will list my symptoms, even ones that are questionable and could go along with my current issues.
Symptoms started nearly 3 yrs ago:

Itchy raised, raw looking rash that i have 80% of the time but it goes away sometimes. When it's present, i feel sicker. It's symmetrical appearing on both sides. It has affected my scalp once, neck several times, but primarily on back of lower legs and in the crease where my arms bend. Ones on legs have left purple scars behind. One ER doc said it looked like celiac rash.

Extreme dizziness and clumsiness, resulting in a few episodes of black outs.

General feeling of illness, staying in bed months at a time. Tired and exhausted 24/7 with occasional bouts of energy.

Unexplained miscarriage

Gastro issues - diarrhea , painful gas, bloating, bloody stool, undigested food in stool, fatty greasy stool.

Intolerance to foods that comes and goes. Sometimes i am ok, othertimes i eat them and it feels like food poisioning.

Constantly dehydrated- end up in the hospital pretty often needing tons of iv fluids but still walk away dehydrated. I drink only water and tons of it. I have chronic dry eyes, nose and mouth. In the past yr i have gotten 24 cavities and needed 4 root canals. I've maybe had 7 or 8 in my entire life and i'm 29 yrs old.

I have sinus/seasonal allergies for the first time ever. I saw an allergist for food allergies and tested negative. Passed a gastric emptying scan. My TSH is normal with meds, last AIC 5.1, cholesterol levels good, perfect blood pressure.

I have easily lost 60 lbs this yr with mild trying on my part but i did make dietary changes too.

Every muscle in me aches. 11 yrs ago my old doc thought i had fibro but no testing. My ankle joints and knee joints bother me.

Dry skin, losing hair by the handfuls, blurry vision, recent headaches, little red spots on feet, very sensitive to cold, mood swing, depression, brain fog and just downright sick every day.

I'm sure i missed something but i think this pretty much covers it. Anybody have any comments on my test results, symptoms, ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
(female)

LuvlyAthena HB User
Re: Test results in, not sure whats going on :-(

Bump bump bump :-)

Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think your ANA, although borderline, may be meaningful given all your symptoms and your borderline high sed rate. You certainly have lots of symptoms that could fit with lupus, and I think that should be followed up by a rheumatologist. I would suggest getting muscle enzymes (CK and aldolase) to rule out myositis, and antiphospholipid antibodies because of the recurrent miscarriages. You might read the sticky notes on the lupus boards.If you can get those tests, plus a CBC, urine, chemistry panel, anti-DS Dna and anti-Smith antibody, that would be a good start. That will be expensive to try to get it while your insurance is in effect.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
(female)

LuvlyAthena HB User

Oh wow thank you. That gives me great direction. I had never even considered lupus until recently.I'm trying to get back in this week for more tests. Hopefully my doc will order some of those. I will definitely check around the forums and read about everything. Thanks again and it's just good to see the results interpreted in a similar way as i had.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I will warn you though that Drs are likely to dismiss an ANA that low and a borderline sed rate. Especially those that go more by labs and less by symptoms. Hopefully your Dr won't dismiss this, given all the symptoms you have. You may have to be persistent about pursuing this.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. What were your colonoscopy findings re: bloody stool? That's something that definitely needs followed thru, if you haven't already.

Lupus and its "close cousins" almost always elevate ANA, but so can some GI autoimmunes like Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis (UC). And I think I've read that a certain percent of people with lupus have UC as well; but in contrast, that Crohn's is not seen in conjunction with lupus.

You can't be feeling at all well with all this going on, so I really hope you can work your way toward answers & help soon. Please stay in touch. Sincerely, Vee

Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Certainly blood tests for celiac disease should be done, and tests for inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's). You do have symptoms suggestive of malabsorption (weight loss, diarrhea, greasy stools, etc). Your extreme number of cavities suggests Sjogren's, for which an SSA and SSB antibody should be checked. 70% of Sjogren's patients have one of those positive.

Reply Reply