It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

Francoise76 HB User
cataract surgery and MCS - multiple chemical sensitivity

i'm italian from Rome, I'm 37years old. I am sick of multiple chemical sensitivity, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and undifferentiated connective tissue. In my country the disease is poorly understood. I have cataracts caused by cortisone. My doctor wants to operate cataract. I think that a person who has multiple chemical sensitivity can not be pursued cataract surgery. Could you please tell me if I can perform my cataract or how I can solve the problem without operation (natural cures, detoxification, diet, etc. )? In this forum, there is someone with mcs who had cataract surgery and had no problems?
Please, help me, I'm so worry

Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: cataract surgery and MCS - multiple chemical sensitivity

Hello and welcome. In the U.S., the mainstream medical community apparently considers MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) a controversial diagnosis, one without proven diagnostic tests and treatments. Therefore I'm not sure what aspects of cataract suregry you're concerned about. The local anesthesia? Eye drops? Sedative? The corneal implants themselves?

In general, I've never read about any way to correct cataracts other than surgery. (Sorry! Hopefully others will add more on this.)

Certainly long-term steroid use can cause numerous undesirable side effects. In the U.S., the antimalarial Plaquenil is often prescribed for lupus, MCTD, UCTD, etc. The reason it's so well-regarded here is that it's been shown to be steroid-sparing---meaning it can sometimes totally eliminate the need for steroids---or, for patients who still must take steroids due to more severe problems, Plaquenil can reduce the steroid dose required. Is Plaquenil used in Italy, have you ever asked? If it is, are you a candidate? (I realize that you'd still have to deal with your cataracts, but reducing your odds of OTHER steroid complications seems like a goal worth asking about.)

Another thought: you could also ask on the "Eye and Vision" board about cataract surgery and your chemical sensitivity concerns. To access that board, select "Find a Board" (hyperlink in the blue bar above), then look under the "Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat" category.

I hope others add more. Best wishes, sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply