It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Lower Lumbar issues w/MRI report

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2016, 05:10 AM   #16
Skywatch
(male)

Skywatch HB User
Re: Lower Lumbar issues w/MRI report

Also I don't understand why the surgeons diagnosis was "without neurogenic claudication" when I have previously repeatedly reported cramping of the legs.

Tomorrow I am requesting copies of the surgeons chart notes.

And if I'm unable to walk properly by the day after Christmas I will be seeking an opinion from a different neurosurgeon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #17
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Obviously I don't know enough about your specific issues to comment, but sometimes with a laminectomy, if a bit too much of the laminar is removed, it can create instability at that particular level. This could account for the new symptoms. Sometimes when the muscles are cut and retracted during surgery, it causes new symptoms that can hang around awhile until muscles, tendons, fascia and other soft tissue adjusts.

Perhaps things are different where you live, but where I live, you would have a difficult time finding another spine surgeon to take you on as a patient this close to your surgery. You are better off trying to work with the surgeon who did the surgery, at this point anyway. Also it is much too early to be even thinking about a failed surgery. You are very early in recovery, and you will need much more time for everything to heal.

The surgeon must feel that cramping of legs is different from radiculopathy, which is caused by spinal nerve compression.

I would suggest the following exercise....lie on a flat surface like a carpeted floor on your back, feet flat on floor with knees bent. Place arms close to your sides with palms facing up toward the ceiling. Be sure pelvis is in a neutral position (neither tipping forward or backward). Once in position, breathe deeply and slowly from the belly so you can see it rising and falling and relax!

This position is a natural form of traction that allows the discs to unload, muscles to relax and for the parasympathetic system to reset.

Try to be patient and have faith you will heal. Try to keep walking a little every hour or two. Walking is the best exercise to stretch out the nerves which helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to a nerve as it is filling in during the first twelve weeks.

Hopefully you will feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Skywatch (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
Skywatch
(male)

Skywatch HB User

Thank you for the quality feedback. And some good news...

1. About a half hour ago I was able to stand up completely and walk without the severe pain I was having in my right buttock.

I found my heating pad last night and kept it under my right buttock all night and for much of the day today.

2. The physical therapist who I was previously seeing, up to when it was determined I needed surgery, just informed me that she moved some of her scheduled appts with other patients over to a colleague, so she could start seeing me asap, two times a week. I start with a re-evaluation next week. Of course need to take it slow and easy.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel and I won't try to convince myself otherwise. ;-)

FYI, below is the description of my surgery

Status post L1-2, L2-3 decompressive laminectomies, right L5-S1 microlumbar discectomy

Below is the list of PT exercises, listed on my pre-surgery paperwork, which I was suppose to have been instructed on during my follow-up appt:

standing calf stretch, hamstring stretch, shoulder rolls, scapula retraction/depression

I'll have my PT walk me through those exercises.

One thing is I've noticed my skin is breaking out on my face, head and arms since starting the flexeril. I'll call my primary provider tomorrow to see if they can prescribe an alternative/substitute muscle relaxer.

Thanks again and happy holidays.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #19
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

That is all good news, except for the break-outs, of course!

Remember to take short walks frequently. If you get up in the night to use the bathroom, walk up a hall and back a couple times, or around the room. At this point walking is not for exercise, stamina, etc. Iy is to stretch out those spinal nerves.

Happy Holidays to you as well, and blessings for a speedy healing.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Skywatch (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #20
Skywatch
(male)

Skywatch HB User

That pain in the right buttock has returned. I can still stand and take very short walk but the pain is impressive.

I took a shower last night and I discovered I have lost significant muscle mass in my buttocks, but much more so in the right buttock. And I can feel a strange muscle just under the inside right buttock wall pushing through the buttock. Difficult to explain but never noticed that before when bathing. I believe it to be related to the pain emanating from that buttock when attempting to stand and walk. An inflamed muscle poking from underneath the gleutus maximus?

Still haven't figured out what is causing the skin irritations/boils on my face/head hands/arms. It is less so on my face/head now but much more prevalent on my hands and fingers, and elbows and getting painful now. It appears like hives on finger joints and elbows, and the skin appears to be drying out and becoming thicker skin in those locations, with a burning sensation.

Looking at the print outs for oxycodone, cyclobenzaprine and diclofenac, the above symptoms are not listed as possible side effects. The oxycodone and cyclobenzaprine were started while in the hospital for surgery and prescribed when I was discharged. Where as I've been taking diclofenac as needed, for the past year or more.

Last edited by Skywatch; 12-24-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #21
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Are you continuing to take those prescribed medications? Did you call your surgeon and report this?

Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #22
Skywatch
(male)

Skywatch HB User

Yes and left msg on surgeons asst voicemail.

Issue is impacting inside three fingers on both hands and both elbows. So I don't think it is contact dermatitis. Getting more difficult to type with swollen pointer fingers and thumbs. The left pointer finger is significantly swollen now.

I took a benadryl cap (25mg) at 5pm and another at 8pm to see if that would help but so far I don't think so. Put some hydrocortizone 2.5% on fingers and that relieved the burning itchiness for a lottle while at least.

If there are drug interactions, it is strange I'm seeing them now but not last week when I was in the hospital.

I think right now I'll quit taking the Oxycodone to see if that helps for the rest of the night and tomorrow (and will just accept with the pain that the Diclofenac can't help with). If the condition persists I'll quit the Cyclobenzaprine as well.

I was considering driving to the walk in clinic for the health system I'm enrolled in. But they closed half hour ago.

Earlier I was not sure how the oxycodone and Cyclobenzaprine would impact my driving capability. (last Cyclobenzaprine was at 1pm and last oxy and diclofenac was at 3:30p)

And not sure of I can drive with the condition of my left hand as it is now.

I'll wait an hour and if the issue get worse I'll find a way to hospital emergency (at the same hospital where I had the surgery). Not quite what I had planned for the holiday.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #23
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sometimes a good pharmacist is a good source for drug interaction information.

Did these symptoms start after you were released from hospital?

Old 12-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #24
Skywatch
(male)

Skywatch HB User

I suppose this is going off topic but wanted to provide follow-up...

Went to emergency last night. Waited three hours in the hospital ER lobby before I was seen.

By then my thumb, index and middle fingers on both hands had swollen further, with extra swelling (fluid) at the finger joints. On my left hand index finger, the segment between the knuckle joint and next joint, was swollen so big I thought it was going to pop. With all the swelling I was only able to bend the index finger 10% of normal, and my thumb couldn't touch the index finger. Wasn't as bad on the right hand. Strange that my ring and little fingers on both hands were not effected (except for a bit of dryness to the skin).

The emergency MD diagnosis was I had contact dermatitis and then an allergic reaction, to what is unknown.

He didn't think it was a drug interaction since I've been taking the flexeril and oxycodone for over a week and a half, both in in the hospital and at home, without this kind of a reaction.

The MD prescribed Predisone and gave me a shot of Toradol.

When I got home I noticed the swelling had increased, and most of the top of my left hand had swollen, as well as the index finger and thumb.

I ate some food and took 3 Predisone tablets, before going to bed.

MD recommended I go in for allergy tests. Will have to see if my insurance will cover that. I hope the issue is not my cat getting covered in poison oak outside and bringing it into the house. That happened over a year ago during the summer. But then I got it over both arms and neck, not on my hands, and was not so extreme.

Similar breakout also occurred two years ago right after shoulder surgery, where the surgeon prescribed vicodin. When I broke out (with my tongue swelling and becoming discolored, and my breathing labored) my surgeon thought it might be a reaction to the vicodon and instead prescribed percocet. However the issue continued and so both the surgeon and my primary care provider thought it was the tylenol in the vicodin and the percocet. So then I was put on predisone, and prescribed oxycodone without APAP. Since then I've been considered allergic to tylenol.

I was taking a daily zyrtec up until the week before surgery. But did not resume taking zyrtec until yesterday.

It is possible my hypothyroidism is contributing to the issue. (a week before going into the hospital for the surgery, the hospital did blood tests and detected my TSH was out of whack, and had my primary provider increase my Synthroid to 100mcg).

Whatever the causes of these breakouts, my immune system doesn't like it and is responding badly.

Back on topic, the sharp pain in my right buttock has returned, making standing then walking super painful.

I am so tired of 2016.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #25
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Can you go off all medications relating to your surgery to see if there is improvement?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:58 AM   #26
Amidstthewave
(male)

Amidstthewave HB User

I also have a lower lumbar issue but I only have X-ray. The diagnosis said that I have a flat back syndrome. I researched online what I can do and I mainly did exercises like bodyweight, yoga, aerobics and core conditioning. But it seems that my back pain is not doing any better. I still have the constant pain every time I try to bend or lift something heavy. I'm not sure what else to do.

Reply Reply