It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Help Me Understand My MRI Findings.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2016, 12:37 AM   #1
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User
Question Help Me Understand My MRI Findings.

TECHNIQUE: MR LUMBAR SPINE WO CONTRAST

FINDINGS:

Normal alignment. Normal marrow signal. No lumbar vertebral body
compression deformities. Conus medullaris terminates at the level of L1-2.
Normal appearance of visualized distal thoracic cord and conus.

T12-L1: Canal and foramina patent.

L1-2: Canal and foramina patent.

L2-3: Disc space narrowing with diffuse annular bulge. Mild right
foraminal narrowing. Canal patent. Left foramen patent.

L3-4: Disc space narrowing with diffuse annular bulge. Right foraminal
disc protrusion with moderate right foraminal stenosis, unchanged. Mild
left foraminal stenosis. Mild canal stenosis.

L4-5: Disc space narrowing with diffuse annular bulge. Left
foraminal/extraforaminal disc protrusion is increased compared to prior,
with increased moderate left foraminal narrowing; the extraforaminal
portion of this disc protrusion abuts the extraforaminal exiting left L4
nerve root to a greater degree than on prior study. Correlate clinically
for possible left L4 radiculopathy. Canal and right foramen patent.

L5-S1: Canal and foramina patent.

IMPRESSION:

Compared to 4/30/2015, increased prominence of left foraminal and
extraforaminal/far lateral disc protrusion at L4, with probable
impingement of the extraforaminal exiting left L4 nerve root. Correlate
clinically for possible left L4 radiculopathy. Other degenerative changes
as noted above not significantly changed compared to prior.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User
Unhappy Re: Help Me Understand My MRI Findings.

Can someone help me please!!!!

Old 11-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Help Me Understand My MRI Findings.

Hello and welcome to the board.

It looks like you like had a herniated disc that was causing your "issues" and had a previous MRI. The new MRI, when compared to the older one, shows that at this one level, L4-5, the situation with the disc is a bit worse. The disc between the L4 and L5 vertebra is protruding and is extending out beyond the disc space. This causes the disc space to narrow which brings the bones closer together.

The protrusion pushes into the foramina which are openings located by each vertebra that provide an exit for the spinal nerve as it leaves the spine and goes out to the part of the body the nerve innervates. This narrowing is referred to as "stenosis." It causes the spinal nerve to be unable to function normally and this results in symptoms like pain which can be felt at the site in the back or it can radiate anywhere along the path of the nerve. It can also cause tingling, numbness, etc. You can look online for a "dermatome map" which will show you the area that is innervated by the L4 spinal nerve, which is the one in your case that is being "pinched" by the foraminal narrowing. This is occurring on the left side.

The central canal and the foramen on the right side are "normal."

In addition, the discs at L2-3 and L3-4 are also beginning to degenerate and are protruding...but into the RIGHT foramina. It is occurring to a greater extent at L3-4 and to a small extent at L2-3. At these levels the central canal and the left foramina are open (normal).

The degeneration at these two levels is thought to be similar to what was shown on the earlier MRI.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User

Thank you for helping me. I am scheduled for a LUMBAR MICRODISCECTOMY on December 1, 2016 to relieve that nerve. But you stated there are other discs, the discs at L2-3 and L3-4 are also beginning to degenerate and are protruding. So does that mean more surgery in the future and do they look pretty bad also? My neck is also gibing me problems.

This is my Cervical Spine MRI: Unchanged alignment. Cervical kyphosis. No prevertebral edema. Cervical
vertebral body compression deformities.

Cervical medullary junction were normal. No cerebellar tonsillar ectopia.
Cervical cord normal signal and caliber. No cord compression.

C2-3: Canal and foramina patent.

C3-4: Minimal central posterior disc protrusion. Mild canal stenosis.
Foramina patent.

C4-5: Canal and foramina patent.

C5-6: Disc space narrowing. Endplate osteophytes. Uncinate spurring. Mild
canal stenosis. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing. Small left perineural
root sleeve cyst.

C6-7: Disc space narrowing. Endplate osteophytes. Canal and foramina
patent.

C7-T1: Canal and foramina patent.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I will warn you ahead of time to be very strict with yourself after your surgery on Dec 1st. If you are among the lucky patients who have their symptoms almost immediately resolved by the surgery, you may be among those who rush to do all the things that have been put on hold. Many people who have a discectomy end up doing too much too soon and often end up reherniating the disc. Even though the doctor will clear you for most activities after six to eight weeks, you must remember that the disc doesn't completely heal and toughen up for six months.

Being right before the holidays, you will have to fight the urge to do more than you should.

The other discs have a very small amount of degeneration. I wouldn't worry about them, and I don't see much in the cervical spine MRI report to be overly concerned about. There's a little bit of degenerative change going on at C5-6 and C 6-7, but it shouldn't be enough to be causing symptoms.

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User

Thanks again. I will take it easy. My husband is already laying out the rules of what I can and cannot do. My neurosurgeon told me all of that on yesterday. How he had some of j\his patients re-herniating their discs. I really hope this surgery helps. I will keep you informed.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know, I know...but, take this warning to heart because it really is the biggest issue facing discectomy patients whose symptoms are immediately resolved. On the other hand, do not be alarmed if your symptoms remain in the immediate post surgery period. It is very common depending to what extent there has been nerve involvement. It can take ages for nerve pain to resolve.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User
Unhappy Re: Help Me Understand My MRI Findings.

I had my surgery on December 1 and came home on December 2. I was issued a wheeled walker and was told not to do the BLT, Bending, Lifting and Twisting. I'm in so much pain right now and getting in and out of bed is such a chore. I'm wondering how long will I be on the walker? One lady informed me that she was on her walker for over a year. I go back for a Checkup on January 17, 2017. I'm so afraid that I'm going to hurt myself. I can only lay on my right side and my left hip has sharp pain shooting out. The Percoets aren't helping. When I walk, that left hip has sharp pains. Can't shower by myself and can hardly dress myself. Please Pray for me.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User

Still Healing. Much less pain.

The following user gives a hug of support to blesseddiane:
kanded (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Usually six to eight weeks is a turning point where one starts to feel better. I'm sorry no one responded to your previous post inquiring about the walker, etc. I assume you are not using one now....have most of your symptoms subsided by now?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User

I'm using a rolling walker now. I was just wondering ow long I have to use it. As for my recovery, I had some sharp shooting pain in my left hip downward. It has gotten better. I have constant pain in my left hip. No shooting pain. My sutures haven't dissolved yet. I can move better, but very caution about bending, lifting and twisting. I can lay on my back for just a short period of time. I can't lay on my left side yet. I really want to drive, not sure yet. Cabin fever is real. I go back to my Neurologist on January 17. Still showering also. Thanks for replying.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:06 AM   #12
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User
Question Re: Help Me Understand My MRI Findings.

I still have pain in my surgery area. Is this normal???

Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #13
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Please describe in more detail the symptoms you are currently having. Have you seen the surgeon to discuss this continuing pain, etc.? If so, what does he tell you? Do you have pain just at the surgical site or does it occur elsewhere?

Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #14
blesseddiane
(female)

blesseddiane HB User
Question Re: Help Me Understand My MRI Findings.

It's a throbbing pain like on my spine. It's not constant, but when it is there, it's here or a while. Sometimes my left leg hurts, but no as much as before. My neck is starting to hurt more. I saw my neurologist on January 17 and he said everything looks fine, but still no twisting and limit my bending. No lifting over 25 pound and no over reaching. Also pain in my right side.

Last edited by blesseddiane; 03-04-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Reply Reply