It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Back problems

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
2xmicrolami
(female)

2xmicrolami HB User
Back problems

Hi everyone I've been lurking on here for a week . I am 3 wks post op micro/ lamectomy second surgery . First one was nov. 2013 , and just had again on Dec.7 2016 . I hope I'm posting on the correct board. I have never posted on any boards online . I have been reading posts and love all the support everyone has for each other . I had surgery 3 wks ago and feeling I need some support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Back problems

Hello and welcome to the board. Do you have lumbar spine issues and is that the locations of your surgeries?
How is your recovery progressing?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
2xmicrolami
(female)

2xmicrolami HB User

Hi , thank you for the welcome . I've had my l5 S1 done twice now . The first time was great not a lot of pain and recovery was quick . Second time was 3 wks ago and after 1st week I am having the sciatica come back . Im really nervous about it , I feel alright in morning and get few things done . Then after about an hour or two being up on my feet the right leg pain starts shooting down leg again . I see my neuro Jan .9
How are you doing ? I've read some of your post but can't remember how long ago your surgery was .

Old 12-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I discovered that no spine surgeries are ever the same, and there is no way to predict when one recovery will be harder than another.

You don't mention what type of surgery you had, but if recovery was quick, I assume it was either a discectomy or laminectomy/sometimes called "decompression." It may be that this time a nerve had to be freed from scar tissue and the surgeon had to tug on it a bit to make this happen. Or a nerve was in a different position and was moved a bit or somehow touched during surgery. Or you have more swelling this time...or...the options are endless!

Just try to be patient. Do not do anything that you know will aggravate the sciatic nerve and do not try to hurry along the recovery process. If you have pain, I would cut back all activity except for talking short walks often. A trip up and back a hall, or across the house counts as a short walk. It is very important to walk often as it is the best exercise to stretch out the spinal nerves. This helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to a nerve as it develops and fills in during the first twelve weeks post surgery.

If you had disc surgery there is always a chance that the disc reherniated after the surgery.

My last surgery was in 2010, which was a three level lumbar fusion, L3-S1. I stay on the board to help others that are new to the whole back thing. Most people drop off as soon as they start to feel better...but, I have stayed....

Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
2xmicrolami
(female)

2xmicrolami HB User

Hi again your awesome staying on and thank you so much for getting back to me . I had a microdiscectomy/ lamectomyand I think the paper from hospital said hemilectomy or something. I have been trying to walk but live up north and icy but like you said walk in hall and around the house is good idea . I may be squatting down to much emptying dishwasher and picking things up . I hate sitting around and it's hard because this sciatica is causing me to go lay down when leg pain starts flaring. I'm just worried since this is second time having this surgery I may have not much disc left and fushion is in future for me . I have four kids and want to be active again and take care of my family. So your surgery was in 2010 and your doing well now ?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Are any of the kids old enough to load/unload dishwasher? That is so hard on your back. That and vacuuming are two things I can only do in short spurts. For the most part, my husband loads the dishwasher...and I vacuum one room at a time.

If you didn't have sciatic pain right after surgery and it came back after that point, it may mean the disc has reherniated. If you do need fusion at some point, you will need to be prepared that it takes a good year to fully recover, for the new bone to set up strong. Once the bone cells have fully formed and set, after this point stress and exercise actually makes the bone stronger. But if you do too much too soon, you can get into trouble.

My last surgery was my third and I and my surgeon both really felt it was my last chance to get it right. He was extremely conservative with my recovery and made sure I did nothing that would cause sciatic nerve flare. I began and stopped physical therapy at least three times. My surgeon followed me for three years after surgery. It was worth it. I can do pretty much everything I want now. However, I am cautious as I don't want to ever go back to the way I was.

My surgeon never thought I would be completely rid of sciatic pain. He was afraid that the nerve itself was scarred, and that surgery would not completely resolve my pain. So we are both pleased with my outcome.
This is not to say that I am "good as new." Back surgery never returns the person to the way they were prior to onset of injury or disease/degeneration.

I have a feeling you are doing too much too soon. It may not seem like a lot to you, and you are eager to get back into all your daily activities, but it is more than your body can handle. Between now and when you see the surgeon, try to avoid bending and twisting at the waist and lifting anything heavier than about ten pounds to see if this helps to resolve your pain.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
2xmicrolami
(female)

2xmicrolami HB User

Thank you again for responding and all the info I will definitely cut back on activity. Hope you have a Happy healthy New Year

Old 01-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Reply Reply