It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

C5-6-7 fusion or ADR

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Wam42
(male)

Wam42 HB User
C5-6-7 fusion or ADR

I got it a car accident 7/2015 and have had neck and upper back pain ever since. I am 36 and have tried massage, chiropractic, and PT and have had 2 injections but symptoms seem to get worse. My nero surgeon has told me I have bulging disks at C5-C6 and C6-C7 and my only option is fusion. I am just hoping someone can tell me good and bad with fusion or with artificial disk replacement thank you very much for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: C5-6-7 fusion or ADR

Welcome to the board. Do you know specifically what issues are going on? Anything other than the bulging discs? Do you know if the discs are bulging into the foramina or pushing into the central canal/spinal cord? Did you have a whiplash type injury?

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to get more than one opinion before going ahead with major surgery. You might also want to consult with a fellowship-trained orthopedic spine surgeon.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Wam42
(male)

Wam42 HB User

Yes it was a whip lash. And not quite sure which way the disks are bulging. Depending on how I move my neck I get pain down my right arm and have weakness in both arms 95% of the time. The 2 injections I had were mainly to get some temporary relief in those areas but only lasted a couple of days. I do have a second and third opinion scheduled and am just trying to do as much research as I can prior to those appointments. Thank you for the reply.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

If you have not done so, request a copy of the MRI (it will come to you on a CD) and the written radiologist's report. Start a file for your own use. This will save time in the long run, especially when going from doctor to doctor. I feel it is important in this day and age to take control of your own health issues and learn as much as you can about them...as you are doing trying to learn about ADR vs. fusion.

It is important for you to know if your injury is affecting the spinal cord. Sometimes the disc will push out beyond the disc space and can push into the sac that contains the spinal cord. This can restrict the flow of the spinal fluid and can have an impact on the cord itself.

If you are interested in ADR and you are a candidate for the surgery, which is still not widely done in the US, it is important to find a spine surgeon who has the experience and training to perform it successfully. This is very important because when something goes wrong with ADR, it can go very wrong.

But first you need to explore all conservative options to be clear in your own mind that surgery is absolutely necessary. With a whiplash injury, it is often the ligaments and soft tissue that are more affected, and it can take years to heal. You might want to look into myofascial release therapy if you know there is no spinal cord compression.

Reply Reply