It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Would a new mattress help?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
Scruffy60
(female)

Scruffy60 HB User
Would a new mattress help?

I have suffered with back pain for years, So far doctors have not helped( they've tried) without all my details , my question really is, is there some kind of topper for my mattress that would make it firmer or do I have to buy a new mattress? Just trying everything to get relief

The following user gives a hug of support to Scruffy60:
movielover40 (01-16-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Would a new mattress help

A topper would not help, in my opinion. Usually they just make the surface a bit softer. I would imagine you need something more supportive, not less.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
wildkingdom
(male)

wildkingdom HB Userwildkingdom HB User

a worn out mattress can make things worse. since it wears out slowly is easy to not notice the change.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Pillows can also cause neck/ back problems. You dont want one which is so high that your neck strains, but you also dont want one which is so soft it is not supportive. I just bought a new pillow. I went through 3 of them before I found one which is right for me. You should sleep on a new pillow for about a week before giving up on it as some of them take time to get used to.
There are specialty pillows for side sleepers, back sleepers, etc. Maybe try this before you invest in a new mattress?

Old 01-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
lintek56
(female)

lintek56 HB User

I too am having major issues with my lower back that is worst today than any other day. we have a new mattress which is too big to even change the sheets comfortably. so it must be the box springs under the mattress. we kept the box springs. they are old. I can NOT lay on my back. but when I wake up , I'm on my back and I find that without bending my knees while laying on back it hurts worst.
I've had CT scans and they've found problems with the disk but they haven't gone low enough where some days there's a swollen area only on one side, like a watery cyst type thing. but as I stand up and walk around a bit, it dissipates. have you had any testing performed by your Dr yet?

I find that a lidocaine patch works fantastic to take away the pain. I got it by RX only from my rheumy Dr. a few years ago and I'm putting off finding a new one. so I can't complain. I just have no time.

I don't understand how a mattress and boxspring can cause such problems and agony.

If you find out what the cause of your pain is, could you please come back and let us know? I" very interested in what it could be. I'm tired of suffering with this pain too.

best wishes to you Scruffy60

Oh, and I tried a topper for the bed for a few weeks now and it makes NO difference what so ever.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
wildkingdom
(male)

wildkingdom HB Userwildkingdom HB User
Re: Would a new mattress help?

you can get the Lidocaine patches OTC now-up to 4% lidocaine

The Following User Says Thank You to wildkingdom For This Useful Post:
lintek56 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 AM   #7
lintek56
(female)

lintek56 HB User
Re: Would a new mattress help?

I love the lidocaine patches and find they work better than any pain pill would. at least for me they do and they work immediately and through out the day into the night. I haven't looked at the RX patch's level of lidocaine compared to the over the counter brand yet. I found out the RX version is very costly to the insurance companies to have to pay, so I'm surprised they covered it, but then this was years ago when it was filled. I don't know when over the counter patches came out?

Either way, I think a bed has to be properly fit with a good set of box springs because ours is damaged and went to a different mattress. They sure make such HUGE mattresses these days. for what??? to feel like a king and queen in bed?? lol.... I tell you I can't even change the sheets without getting totally flustered and aggravated because of the arthritis in my hands and no strength in my hands and wrists. you need a crane just to lift the darn thing up so you can put a bed skirt on it. I have to have my husband do it. I don't know how other woman do it???? I want to just throw it out and get a smaller one. It was given to us from good friends so I couldn't turn it down when we were in desperate need for a new one at that time.
It's like the princess and the pea story. where the princess could feel the tiny little pea through all the mattresses, or something similar to this fable.
thanks again. Be well.

Reply Reply