It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Lumbar decompression

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Sadie150
(female)

Sadie150 HB User
Lumbar decompression

Hi everyone, I had a lumbar laminectomy on L2, 3 &4 on Tuesday . After being discharged i was unable to urinate on my own so I ended up in the ER I had 1000 cc's of urine in my bladder and had to get a catheter put in which I must have until I go to see the Urologist on Wednesday. Have not been able to have a bowel movement since surgery, tried stool softener, Mira Lax and even a suppository. But the worse part is the numbness in my rectum, vagina and back of right thigh. So i really cant even feel if I am going to have a bowel movement. This all has me so worried but the doctors are saying it is normal. Can anyone please tell ke if you had any if these issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Lumbar decompression

Welcome to the board. I can imagine how worried you are, but try to be calm and positive. Most likely it is a temporary situation caused by some nerve irritation/inflammation. Sometimes it takes awhile for this to go away post surgery. Please let us know what the urologist says when you see him Wed.

It is important to take short, frequent walks even though you may not feel like it. Gentle walking is the best way to stretch out the spinal nerves ...which helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to a nerve as it is forming and filling in during the first twelve weeks post surgery. Try to walk every hour or two -- just around the house, up a hall and back, back and forth across a room. Also limit sitting as it puts a good deal more stress on the discs than other positions.

Keep drinking lots of fluids and eating high fiber foods to help with constipation. Are you taking pain killers?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
Sadie150
(female)

Sadie150 HB User

Thank you so much for your response, I have been walking as much as possible and they gave me oxycodone as needed. It just really worries me because I can feel the pressure but i am so numb I just can't have a bowel movement. Plus it is even hardervwith the catheter in because I am scared to push too much. I feel like a whole hot mess.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Did you call your surgeon?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
Sadie150
(female)

Sadie150 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5463891]Did you call your surgeon?[/QUOTE]

I am back in the hospital, giving me high dose of steroids through a IV. They sent me for MRI yesterday after my 20th phone calls to them and admitted me .they are saying it it alot of fluid putting pressure on my nerves. So this medicine is supposed to calm all this down. I had a few bowel movements today but the bladder not doing so well. They removed the catheter this morning and I peed several small amounts on my own. 50cc's to 200 all together about 600. Scanned my bladder around 5 pm and still had 600 cc's in. So they did a straight cath. So now they are giving it till 11pm. What do you make of all this? I had none of these issues before surgery I feel like they're feeding me a bunch of bull

Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry you are back in the hospital, but at least you are getting the care you need. What a shame they didn't listen to your concerns the first time. I don't know what they are saying to you so cannot comment on whether they are giving you a bunch of bull. This is not a usual result of a decompression, but what happened to cause it, I couldn't say.

Did the surgeon put you back in the hospital or a different doc?

The steroid is given to reduce inflammation. I think the area surrounding the cauda equina nerves in the central canal is very swollen and putting pressure on those lower lumbar spinal nerves that innervate the bowel, bladder, etc. They want to get that down as quickly as possible so things can return to normal.

Can you get up to do a little walking?

Kudos to you for persevering with your phone calls!

Try not to be discouraged. Hopefully this will all resolve soon. Let me know what happens after 11:00! I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.

Last edited by teteri66; 07-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

How are you by this morning?

Reply Reply