It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 05:30 AM   #1
Veteran

robste HB User
Question Muscle Relaxers & Anti-Inflammatory Meds.

In the past, I've had a protruding (bulging) disk...it's gone back to normal now, but I somehow every once in awhile re-injure my lower back & have pain. I went to the dr. a week ago, and she said my lower back & hamstring muscles are very tight, and that I need to start doing my daily stretches (yes, I learned them in physical therapy two years ago, but like most people, stopped doing them!) and I must do them for the rest of my life if I don't want to suffer in pain. So...I've been doing the stretches, and treating my back with ice packs two to three times a day.

Until the cycle of pain is broken, the dr. gave me some samples of Vioxx...I am taking 50mg. a day for the first week, then 25mg. a day for the second week. I am also taking a muscle relaxer...the prescription says to take two tablets three times a day, but I'd be in la-la land if I took that many. I am just taking two tablets at night before I go to bed. I still am a little woozy in the morning though.

This regiment seems to be working so far...my muscles are still tight, but not nearly as bad, and most of the pain is gone.

I have questions for those of you who have gone this same route for lower back pain:

1. When you stop taking the meds., did the pain return?
2. Do you do your prescribed stretches on a daily basis?
3. Have you managed to keep your lower back healthy & avoid further pain?
4. Did Vioxx (if that's what you've taken) make you queasy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 05:38 AM   #2
(female)

jchernyb HB User
[QUOTE=robste]In the past, I've had a protruding (bulging) disk...it's gone back to normal now, but I somehow every once in awhile re-injure my lower back & have pain. I went to the dr. a week ago, and she said my lower back & hamstring muscles are very tight, and that I need to start doing my daily stretches (yes, I learned them in physical therapy two years ago, but like most people, stopped doing them!) and I must do them for the rest of my life if I don't want to suffer in pain. So...I've been doing the stretches, and treating my back with ice packs two to three times a day.

Until the cycle of pain is broken, the dr. gave me some samples of Vioxx...I am taking 50mg. a day for the first week, then 25mg. a day for the second week. I am also taking a muscle relaxer...the prescription says to take two tablets three times a day, but I'd be in la-la land if I took that many. I am just taking two tablets at night before I go to bed. I still am a little woozy in the morning though.

This regiment seems to be working so far...my muscles are still tight, but not nearly as bad, and most of the pain is gone.

I have questions for those of you who have gone this same route for lower back pain:

1. When you stop taking the meds., did the pain return?
2. Do you do your prescribed stretches on a daily basis?
3. Have you managed to keep your lower back healthy & avoid further pain?
4. Did Vioxx (if that's what you've taken) make you queasy?[/QUOTE]
I have low back pain with buldging disks and I have been on Celebrex 200mg twice a day for about 1 year. I was still having pain so I stopped taking my Celebrex about 2 weeks ago, thinking that it was not working and I was not going to take a med that had potential liver damage side effects. Boy, was THAT a mistake. The next week after I stopped taking Celebrex, I could hardly walk, could not even get out of a chair at the kitchen table without someone helping pull me up. What I realized at that moment was that Celebrex took about about 75% of my pain and the 25% of the pain that I have while taking Celebrex is nothing compared to what it was without taking it. So, I am back on Celebrex and getting around best I can and 75% of the pain is gone. Hope this helps any questions you might have whether your meds help or not! Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2003, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran

robste HB User
[QUOTE=jchernyb]I have low back pain with buldging disks and I have been on Celebrex 200mg twice a day for about 1 year. I was still having pain so I stopped taking my Celebrex about 2 weeks ago, thinking that it was not working and I was not going to take a med that had potential liver damage side effects. Boy, was THAT a mistake. The next week after I stopped taking Celebrex, I could hardly walk, could not even get out of a chair at the kitchen table without someone helping pull me up. What I realized at that moment was that Celebrex took about about 75% of my pain and the 25% of the pain that I have while taking Celebrex is nothing compared to what it was without taking it. So, I am back on Celebrex and getting around best I can and 75% of the pain is gone. Hope this helps any questions you might have whether your meds help or not! Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply! I hope that your lower back pain is getting better. Do you do stretches daily? Does it help you, or is the only thing that helps the Celebrex that you take? I took Celebrex a long time ago, and it didn't help me at all...I guess we're all different when it comes to medications that work.

I really don't want to take any pain meds. long term, because I'm on some other medication also.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:07 AM   #4
(female)

jchernyb HB User
[QUOTE=robste]Thanks for your reply! I hope that your lower back pain is getting better. Do you do stretches daily? Does it help you, or is the only thing that helps the Celebrex that you take? I took Celebrex a long time ago, and it didn't help me at all...I guess we're all different when it comes to medications that work.

I really don't want to take any pain meds. long term, because I'm on some other medication also.[/QUOTE]
I have not been doing stretches but I need too. I think I will try it. I am also going to try putting ice on my lower back. I have been putting heat and I am finding out that that is probably the worse thing you can put on your back if you have a nerve touching your herniated disc. I am scheduled for surgery in the near future but if these other remedies help, I might be able to put off surgery for awhile. I have only taken Celebrex for my arthritis so I have nothing to compare other inflamatory meds too. Hope you get relief soon!

Old 11-12-2003, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran

robste HB User
[QUOTE=jchernyb]I have not been doing stretches but I need too. I think I will try it. I am also going to try putting ice on my lower back. I have been putting heat and I am finding out that that is probably the worse thing you can put on your back if you have a nerve touching your herniated disc. I am scheduled for surgery in the near future but if these other remedies help, I might be able to put off surgery for awhile. I have only taken Celebrex for my arthritis so I have nothing to compare other inflamatory meds too. Hope you get relief soon![/QUOTE]

Good luck with doing stretches & using ice packs. You might want to check with your doctor on specific stretches to do, since you don't want to injure yourself (and especially since you haven't been doing stretches, you want to take it really easy at first).

My dr. told me that using an ice pack on your back is actually much better than heat, because it helps swelling and inflammatory problems. She said that it's okay to switch back and forth from heat to ice and back and forth, but don't just use heat. She doesn't believe in surgery unless it's absolutely necessary, but is a firm believer in physical therapy.

Take care,and I hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread