It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #1

kwoo64 HB User
Had microdiscectomy, still sore hip..

I injured my back last year around this time and after months of Severe pain down my leg, my leg pain finally got better after a few months. Eventhough I no longer had any leg pain I still had a sharp pain in my hip when I attempted to do certain exercises. The Dr. told me that my sciatic nerve was still being pinched( but why had my leg quit hurting?) and I should go ahead and do the surgery. I did the surgery around last Febuary. Basically no leg pain now and no more sharp hip pain when I exercise. But now my hip is very sore just like I've had a shot.Also in the mornings I feel very stiff. I find myself getting out of bed very slowly and carefully. Sometime if I move the wrong way there is a sharp pain. But after I get up and go for a walk the stiffness sorta wears off. The hip pain is more noticable when I push in on it. I read in a back book that said the ligaments are very slow to heal. I've done exercises, therapy, hot, cold and it doesnt want to go away. I'm afraid I have permantly damaged something by walking on it when I should have been in bed for 2-3 months. I have an appointment with my DR this week. Any advise or anyone with comments would be appreciated. I also went to a Chiropractor last week and he said my hip on that side was out of place. He supposedly got it back in but I'm not totally convinced it was out.Still sore. I know I use to have a habit of especially in the mornings, swinging my leg over and pop my back, sorta like they do. Well, since the surgery it no longer will pop. Good or bad?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
(female)

jchernyb HB User
I have just what you described also. I have herniation at L2-L3 with nerveroot hitting again disc at L3 and also herniation at L3/L4. My left leg hurts like it is going to fall off all the time. Recently my right hip and groin area has been hurting quite a bit. It feels like sometimes that maybe my pelvic bone pops in and out of pain and that is when I let out a horrible yell. I think maybe I have been favoring the right side when I walk to keep the pressure off of the left and maybe that is the reason why it is hurting. I am scheduled for a PED Percutaneous Endoscopic Discectomy in the near future. My doctor say this is 80% chance of being cured so I hope he is right. Good luck and keep the faith up!

Old 11-16-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
(male)

heboy HB User
I have had pain in my lower back, on and off, for the past 20 some years. Each time I have a flair up, it eventually goes away leaving me with pain in my hip that lasts a long time. I had a rupture at L4/L5 a few years ago and a microdiscectomy a short time later. I still have foot drop, foot, leg and hip pain. Prednisone (when they let me take it) and ice have been the treatment that has worked best for me. Celebrex has also helped with stiffness and soreness. I recently had an epiduryl injection that helped the hip pain a lot. I had an injection once before, but it was in my tailbone and it didn't seem to help at all. Don't know why they put it there, since the problem was at L4/L5. The recent injection was done by another guy, and he put it directly into my hip. My foot drop, leg and foot pain are still there, but the hip pain is almost gone. Don't know how long it is going to last, but I am loving it now. Hope you find something to help you too.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:14 AM   #4
(female)

jchernyb HB User
Heboy, thanks for the post. You gave me some ideas. The epidural shots didnt help me. I am on Celebrex and it helps take about 75% of the pain away. I didnt think it was helping at all so I quite taking it. Well, in about 1 week, I could hardly move at all. I needed help getting out of a chair, etc. I quickly got back on it. I can put up with the 25% pain that is still there. I have learned that ice is better than heat. Oh, heat may feel better, but anything to relieve the pain. I am going to do research on this Prednisone and see if my doctor will prescribe it. My right hip and leg is really bad in the morning after I have tried to sleep all nite. If you come up with any more ideas, please let me know!

Old 11-17-2003, 07:14 AM   #5

kwoo64 HB User
By the way, mine was the L5 S1. And also still every time I sneeze, it still hurts, not the hip so much but just lower back in general.I'm trying to find the best way to brace myself when I feel a sneeze coming on.

Closed Thread