It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Question !4 yr old son dx'd w/scoliosis

My 14 yr old son was dx'd a couple of months ago with mild scoliosis. The doctor wants to check him again soon to see if it's getting worse. I have heard that scoliosis is not all that unusual in teenage boys. My question is can this stop or reverse itself or will it keep getting worse? He definitely has poor posture so I know that can't help matters at all. I worry so much about this. He is thinking of going into the Air Force after high school. He's in JROTC now. Will this ruin asperations of becoming a pilot or mechanic in the Air Force? I would really hate to see that happen to him as he loves the Air Force. Thanks.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #2

xavier213 HB User
Re: !4 yr old son dx'd w/scoliosis

Hello sorry to hear about your son. The good news is that you caught it early! I have very mild scoliosis that was somehow missed when I was younger and was caught just this year at the age of 25! (which is a big problem since I've stopped growing!) There a lot of things that can be done to stop the curve from progressing at your sons age, I don't know if it ever go back to "normal" without surgery though. (surgery usually isn't done unless the curve is very severe from what I understand)

A few treatment options are bracing and/or physical therapy. I know PT has helped me a lot. You do very specific exercises to help straighten the curve out and also build up your upper back muscles. They will also teach your son how to have better posture! Mine was all over the place until I started PT and learned how to sit without leaning over so much.

Like you said, it is very common in teenage boys. If the curve isn't that severe right now the drs may just want to watch it and moniter it over a period of time to see what happens. I don't think it will hinder his airforce dreams as long as you just keep an eye on it. I know a lot of people live perfectly normal lives with scoliosis and you'd never know that they had it unless they told you. Good luck to you and your son
Katt

Last edited by xavier213; 11-21-2003 at 05:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: !4 yr old son dx'* w/scoliosis

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to take my son to the doctor and ask her if PT is in order for him now. He really needs to learn some back strengthening exercises.
Barb

Old 01-04-2004, 09:59 PM   #4

mariahu183191 HB User

[QUOTE=Bosmom]Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to take my son to the doctor and ask her if PT is in order for him now. He really needs to learn some back strengthening exercises.
Barb[/QUOTE]
Sorry to hear about your son. I was diagnosed in the 6th grade and had to have surgery when i was 13. I have a metal rod to straighten everything out. It is called a harrington rod. For the most part I have had a normal life. But I do have a few problems that I have to work with. Strengthening the back muscles is one of the most important things he can do. It has to become as important as brushing your teeth. Yes you can get by without, but eventually there will be more probs. Initailly they gave me exercises to do,but as young as I was, I had no drive. My family didnt help, but i was punished if I didnt. So I learned to lie about doing them. My curves were 48 degrees and 12 degrees. I am now 33 years old. I have backpacked and hiked many miles,rode horses, was a body builder. In fact, when they took my cast off 7 months later, I had hay leafs stuck inside from throwing hay bales to feed livestock. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #5

mariahu183191 HB User

my email is[COLOR=Red] [removed][/COLOR]

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2004 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Do not post contact information. These boards are for anonymous use only. Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: !4 yr old son dx'd w/scoliosis

Hi Mariahu. Thank you so much for your response. It's wonderful that you are able to do all the things you do. It relieves me to know that my son won't have to settle for a less than normal life. He already has asthma, learning disabilities and ADD to deal with.

Take care and thank you again.
Barb

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2004 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Report posts that violate the board guidelines. Do not respond to them.

Closed Thread