It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 08:06 PM   #1

backattack HB User
Question Need a New Drug

I'm on Ultram, which works OK and lets me function but I still have lots of somatic pain (stiffness, deep ache) in my lower back. I'm considering a stronger drug, like oxycontin or duragesic. Any recommendations??

Does the duragesic confine the medication to the lower back? Problems with it?

How do people feel when they are on oxycontin? Drugged out? Can you function?

My pain M.D. first prescribed Darvocet but it made me groggy and didn't relieve pain. Then Ultram, which acts as an "upper" for me at 300 mg/daily. Other people have this reaction. Not bad, really, just a mild upper. Have to be careful not to take too much several hours before a meeting or I will be "wired!" :-)

Old 11-22-2003, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Need a New Drug

If ultram gives you a bit of a high, and darvocet makes you groggy in meetings, what do you think would happen if you jumped straight into oxycontin? You would do some heavy snoozing, lol. Why not go back to darvocet; after a few days of taking l every 4 hours, the sleepiness should wear off and leave you feeling just fine.
Carol
morphine pump

Last edited by carol632; 11-22-2003 at 09:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #3

backattack HB User

What about something in between, like Vicodin or Lortab/Lorcet?

So oxycontin is really sedating??

Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

There is no way to predict how you will react to any specific drug...everybody is different. I would guess that a very lose dose of oxy might not be too sedating for you, but it is hard to say. Almost all of us backies have had to try several meds before finding the one that works best. You should talk to your doctor about your concerns and needs. Then, maybe you could try a new med on a weekend and see how it goes. Usually, as your body adjusts, the sleepiness will go away after a few days. You may just have to struggle your way through it. I wish you the very best in finding something that works for YOU.
Carol
morphine pump

Old 11-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
Inactive

Elaine HB User

Ask your doctor for Skelaxin. It is a muscle relaxant but doesn't cause the drowsy feeling that most muscle relaxants cause. It will help with the stiffness and spasms. They started me out on 800mg, three times a day and doesn't make me groggy at all. I tried Flexeril and I was so damn sleepy for three days, I couldn't stand it. I also take Loritab for pain and seem to do ok.
Elaine

Old 11-23-2003, 12:36 PM   #6

backattack HB User

Thanks, Elaine! I'll ask him on Tuesday.

What are your symptoms? Do you have DDD?

I was on Flexeril long ago but it didn't do much for me.

Old 11-23-2003, 12:38 PM   #7

Spirit2 HB User
Post Re: Need a New Drug

Hello
I can tell you from experance what worked for me, it was Soma and Loritab.
I was able to work fine, it did not make me sleepy in any way, but some drugs work different on people. My Dr. told me I could take it and not have to worry about any after effects. I was on them for awhile with no problems. Try to stay away from Oxycontin & Oxycodin it's very addictive, and can give mood swings, cause drowsiness, and depression. use as a last resort.
Hope I was helpfull.
Scott

Closed Thread