It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 03:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Unhappy This is bad, any advise please?

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate any feedback on the information below. I found out tonight that my grandmother is very unwell. She is 81 in January. She recently had to have an artery removed from her leg and cleaned out then replaced. She was doing relatively well on the recovery but lifted a medium size pot plant that needed watering a week ago. All of a sudden she was very short of breath and an ambulance was called.

I spoke to her tonight and she is sounding very frail. I asked her to read me the reports of her x*rays as she does not understand them.

I didnt want to ask her to repeat anything as she was short of breath as is but some of the words I got from what she read i jotted down.

In addition to very advanced osteoporosis and sever scoliosis of her upper thoracic region that was already known of she was told she has multiple wedge fractures from her T8 to S1. Kyphosis? Ocipification? Lateral Linear band shadowing. End plates of thoracic vertebrae are also fractured. One rib has totally disintegrated.

Does anyone know what this means? She is suffering with sever spasms from her thoracic region to her legs. She currently lives on her own in a large house.

If anyone can help me I would be so appreciative. Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

Love and hugs to all,
Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 03:06 PM   #2

camelia HB User
Re: This is bad, any advise please?

o brooke you poor little thing - now worrying about your grandmother as well as handling your own recovery
the osteoporosis she suffers from sounds really bad - p'raps she should rather be in a 'frail care' place where someone can look after her - p'raps your folks could organize that for her? would hate her to fall & be in pain & not be near a phone!
Kyphosis? Ocipification? Lateral Linear band shadowing - try googling those words & see what comes up - probly has to do withe osteoporosis!
make sure you take enough calcium everyday brooke - osteo can be hereditary - & also I think you descrbed yourself as being fair & slim - both contributory factors
thanks for your reply on spondy post re surgery - i see my doc in 2 weeks & will see what he says then
love & ld hugs
camelia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Camelia,

Yep I know, and to be totally honest i'm really depressed. Today would have to be up there with one of my worse days. Im in minimal pain but that doesnt stop the fact that im tired, have migranes etc etc etc could go on for hours. While my fusion will be good im sure in the long run, right now i feel like a horse that's been tried up from every angle, i hate this!
Im sorry

Love and hugs
Brooke

Old 11-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #4

Monas HB User

Brooke mate!

i know this must be extremely upsetting for you! you've done so well in your recovery and remained so positive your an inspirartion to many of us! im sure your nanna wouldnt want you jeopardising your own op, because your worried sick about her. thats what your parents can do. you need as much rest as possible mate. is she in hospital or at home now?
have you been seeing many friends lately? maybe thats what you need just to give your mind a rest from what you and your nanna are going through?

i wish you all the best mate

thinking of u Tiah xxoo

Last edited by Monas; 11-23-2003 at 05:40 PM.

Old 11-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Tiah,

Thanks for you kind words. My nan lives on her own in a big house at Noosa. My aunt is her nearest relative 40 minutes away.

I knew this would happen, I', so frustrated of being cooped up in this house and not being able to just jump in my car and go somewhere. I just have no variety at the moment and it is starting to get to me..a lot. I dont want to see anyone because i am so down and tired myself that i could not be bothered tring to entertain someone else as well. I think my boyfriend is great but i dont even want to see him, I just want to see my pillow

Anyway, i should stop complaining. There's a lot worse out there than me.

Love to you sweety,
Brooke

Closed Thread