It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 08:31 AM   #1

perianthal HB User
Question Anyone have experience with prolotherapy?

I have been reading about this treatment for an assortment of problems. My interest is lumbar facet arthritis.

If you have used prolotherapy, did it help?

What was the cost* without insurance?

What if any, problems did you experience?

Thanks in advance!

Peri

Old 11-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran

standingman HB User
Re: Anyone have experience with prolotherapy?

Peri**There were a few threads on prolo in the archives of this board, but, based on search engine, they don't seem still to be here.

I haven't had it, but considered it, and looked through the older postings a while back. What I recall are "mixed reviews." The people who had success, as I remember, were more likely to be people with clear SI hypermobility problems. But a few others as well. I don't recall discussion of negative experiences beyond the discomfort of the shots and not getting improvement. No doubt there are some more serious complications out there, as with everything.

I also recall that there are different "theories" about how many shots per session are appropriate**with a very large range of views in terms of numbers.

If you do it, let us know your own experience.

Standingman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
Veteran

standingman HB User

Whoops**I was wrong. I did another search on the "all boards" level and there are quite a few threads on prolo from this board that are accessible that way. They ask the same questions as you did.

Standingman

Old 11-23-2003, 11:59 AM   #4

perianthal HB User

Thanks Standingman,
I read through some of those archives and indeed looks like mixed reviews. I guess we won't rush in to anything yet. Helpful though, to see what others say and not just get the information from the clinics that do the procedure!

One article I read elsewhere on the internet said that there is no established protocol for the procedure, hence the wide variation in numbers of injections and frequency. I can easily see how this too would impact the wide range of success.

Peri

Old 11-23-2003, 12:43 PM   #5

backattack HB User

I've had five of six prolo sessions with a traditional pain M.D. who ran out of all other options. He does it free as part of my office visits.

It HAS stabilized SI, ligament, sacral areas where I felt tears (it felt like my left SI was holding on by a thread). My pain is now limited to the base of my spine. A dynamic/kinetic MRI showed that I still have a partial ligament rupture at L5-S1 (the interspinous ligament) so I am going to have him focus there on the last session or two. (If I can get him to do more than six).

In the hands of someone who gives a lot of injections in the lumbar area (i.e., won't hit the sciatic nerve!), prolo is safe. It hasn't been a cure for me, alas. Also, you often have to travel far for a professional prolotherapist and they charge a lot $450/session. I'd recommend Reeves in KC; he seems to be the most "scientific" and has published the most.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:19 PM   #6
Inactive

JoniN HB User

I have had Prolotherapy with Dr. Lawrence Cohen in Danbury, CT. I consider it a complete success as I am completely pain-free at this point! After 4 months of extreme pain in my lower back and left leg/foot, I was told by my neurosurgeon that I had no other choice than to have fusion surgery to correct the spondylolysis st the L5-S1 level. I had tried acupuncture, chiropractor, narcotics, epidural steriod injections (1) with no pain relief. The second ESI gave relief so I had a window of time to try Prolotherapy. Dr. Cohen found I also had a rotated pelvis which was causing pain from my SI joint on the left side. Within days of a realignment of my pelvis and first Prolotherapy injections, my pain diminished almost completely. After my second set of injections, the pain was gone. I am still going in for injections to further stabilize my spine and pelvis but other than being stiff for a couple of days following the injections, I am pain-free. ***** is a great website for more information on prolotherapy.

Joni N.

Last edited by hbguide1; 12-23-2003 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Naming doctors/cities/states is allowed, off-board contact information is not. Please review the Board Guidelines at the link below.

Old 12-23-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

Amy R. HB User

Is it ever covered by insurance? WC, I wonder?

Old 12-24-2003, 06:42 PM   #8

backattack HB User

I have had six treatments and have experienced much improvement. However, I still have pain at L5-S1. I saw a world-leading radiologist in NY who did a fat-suppressed MRI (cutting-edge new technology) and said I had a ligament rupture there. I wonder if prolo can CAUSE ruptures, too and am now worried.

Jon B.

Closed Thread