It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 12:25 PM   #1

Spirit2 HB User
Question Disk implant

Hi
I'm a 44yr old male living I Florida. I underwent a spinal fusion about four years ago and it was a 96 percent success, it was at level L5-S1. since then I've had a herniation of L4-L5 and the doctor wants to do another fusion. But this time I have a bad feeling about it. Also I know it's just going to send pressure to the next disk up the chain. What I'd really like to find out about is the disk replacement surgery thats going on in the USA now. I feel if I can get the replacement It might stop the chain reaction the first fusion started. Does anyone have a list of doctors names & numbers that I could contact for this. I would be willing to try the trials. If anyone can help please let me know. God bless all who are going through the back pain I've gone through in the past.
Believe me I know how bad it can be.
Thankyou all for your help
Scott

Old 11-23-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
(male)

Suddzrus HB User
Re: Disk implant

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and your new herniation. I also wish I could give you some #'s or info. All I know is that they are just what you said, "trials". You can go to europe to get a procedure done but I heard all sorts of things such as a 1 of 3 chance of getting a fusion if u decide to participate in the trial. You can try the texas back institute in plano. I vaguely remember people talking about it. I would recommend doing a search in this site for disc replacement, pro disc, charite, and then go from there. There was some valueable information posted before on the last site and it should be on their data base on this one. Best of luck.
  • Ruptured L5 S1 and nerve damage
  • Hemilaminectomy/Discectomy, medial facectomy on 2-20-03
  • Pain is getting better every week
  • Residual numbness and pain in foot, butt, calf
  • Rehabing at new PT and getting better
  • Still have numbness and occasional pain in leg
  • Eric Davis goes to the same PT as me! I'm in good hands!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

isillyme HB User

Hi Spirit: I just had the prodisc surgery done on October 9 and when I saw your post I went to see what was available to you. I hope this will help you.
Patients must have the following conditions and meet the following criteria to be enrolled in this study.

Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) in one or two adjacent vertebral levels between L3 and S1. Diagnosis of DDD requires: Back and/or leg (radicular) pain; and radiographic confirmation of any 1 of the following by CT, MRI, discography, plain film, myelography and/or flexion /extension films:
Instability (>/= 3mm translation or >/= 5į angulation); Decreased disc height > 2mm; Scarring/thickening of annulus fibrosis; Herniated nucleus pulposus; Vacuum phenomenon.

Age between 18 and 60 years

Failed at least 6 months of conservative treatment

Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire score of at least 20/50 (40%) (Interpreted as moderate/severe disability)

Psychosocially, mentally and physically able to fully comply with this protocol including adhering to follow-up schedule and requirements and filling out of forms

Signed informed consent

Exclusion Criteria:
Patients who have any of the following conditions or meet any of the following criteria are excluded from participating in this study:

No more than 2 vertebral levels may have DDD and all diseased levels, either one or two, must be treated

Known allergy to titanium, polyethylene, cobalt, chromium ormolybdenum

Prior fusion surgery at any vertebral level

Clinically compromised vertebral bodies at the affected level(s) due to current or past trauma.

Radiographic confirmation of facet joint disease or degeneration

Lytic spondylolisthesis or spinal stenosis

Degenerative spondylolisthesis of grade >1

Back or leg pain of unknown etiology

Osteoporosis: A screening questionnaire for osteoporosis, SCORE(Simple Calculated Osteoporosis Risk Estimation), will be used to screen patients who require a DEXA bone mineral density measurement. If DEXA is required, exclusion will be defined as a DEXA bone density measured T score
less than or = to -2.5 (The World Health Organization definition of osteoporosis.

Pagetís disease, osteomalacia or any other metabolic bone disease (excluding osteoporosis which is addressed above)

Morbid obesity defined as a body mass index > 40 or a weight more than 100 lbs. over ideal body weight

Pregnant or interested in becoming pregnant in the next 3 years

Active infection - systemic or local

Taking medications or any drug known to potentially interfere with bone/soft tissue healing (e.g., steroids)

Rheumatoid arthritis or other autoimmune disease

Systemic disease including AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis

Active malignancy: A patient with a history of any invasive malignancy (except non-melanoma skin cancer), unless he/she has been treated with curative intent and there has been no clinical signs or symptoms of the malignancy for at least 5 years

Listing of clinical sites onvolved in this research
Please contact a hospital near you for additional information on participating in this clinical study:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Minnesota
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas

More centers that are participating in this clinical trial will be added to this list shortly.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:52 AM   #4

khoff HB User

isillyme

can you tell me EVERYTHING about your prodisc replacement? What you had to go thru to get it, what the experience was like, how you are now, how many days in the hospital, how soon you were out of the hospital, what your problems were before going in, recovery time, where you had it done, who was your doc (what type of doc too), etc ........

- Ken

Old 11-24-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

isillyme HB User

Hi Kenneth
I am not really sure where to begin, there is so much to tell. I will give you a shorten version, I had to go to WC court in order to have the surgery done, and WC really didn't want to pay for this at all, but the judge made them to. I am so glad the judge made the WC insurance co pay for it, because so far I am feeling great. I had the surgery on October 9 by Dr. Yuan in syracuse NY. I had a discography done in october 2002, and this showed I really needed to have surgery, and my doctor did not want to do a fusion as I had 2 other levels torn, and the doctor began to write letters in my behalf about having the prodisc surgery done, and he also put in the letter that future fusions where guarneteed if I had the fusion done. I was hospitalized for 4 days after having the Prodisc surgery done. Before the surgery I was in level 10 pain levels daily, along with severe leg pain, and complete numbness near the buttock area. I couldn't bend forward or backwards, and I was eventually getting severe nerve damage.
Today I went to the doctor with having a 4 level pain which for me is manageable, and I am sure that too will be improving with time. The recovery for me is still going on. I am 6 weeks post op, and I will be returning to my work in January. I think I would have been able to go back to work sooner, however in my case I am sitting 40 hours a week without much movement. I was taking Norco every 4 hours before surgery, and now I take Norco every 12 hours, I am also taking Skelaxtin for muscle spasms.
I will be very happy letting you know more about the surgery, as time continues for me. I hope what info I gave you so far will help.

Closed Thread