It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
Inactive

tennisnut HB User
Question Question for corset users

Folks,

I am now 1-week post-IDET and am really struggling with my corset. I got properly fitted for it and it is a velcro wrap with steel vertical rods in the back. I feel like the corset is causing me all kinds of additional discomforts. My entire back is aching just from using the corset. During the first few days I rarely used it because I was lying down most of the time. But now that I'm up and about more and more, it's getting more use. It's to the point where I can't wait to rip the thing off if it's been on for half an hour. Also, I feel that it is unnecessary to wear it while I am essentially just standing or walking slowly around the house and taking great care not to twist or bend. I definitely want to do this recovery right but am going bonkers already with this thing. I sure feel a sympatico with all those women in the victorian era who had to squeeze into these torture devices.

Anybody have any advice as to how to deal with this problem?

Gratefully,

tennisnut

Old 11-24-2003, 07:44 PM   #2

JustWant2SitAgain HB User
Re: Question for corset users

sorry to hear that you're having such problems with your corset. i had my IDET done back in the beginning of October and am just starting to ween myself from wearing it constantly. the first several days i HATED the corset. even though i had it fitted it didn't seem like it fit. you just need to wear it and as you move or lay still, it will eventually mold to your back. the metal strips in the back of the corset need to form to the curve of your back and until that happens, it's uncomfortable. also make sure that you have the corset low enough. when mine rises up if i don't position it correctly or if it's too loose, the corset hits me in the wrong spot and i can't stand it. good luck and i wish you a speedy recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 04:37 AM   #3

perianthal HB User

Tennis,
I am new to this board and dont know what an IDET is, so I don't know how helpful my comments are, but my 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with stress fracture in her back and was given a Boston Brace, which is fiber glass which wraps around and attaches with velcro.

It was shear misery, bothered her more than the original problem. A friend of hers also had had a stress fracture (they are both gymnasts). Her friend used the corset type brace. We borrowed it from her and bent it to fit. It took several tries, but was worth making the changes. My daughter was in it 24-7 for 2 months and managed ok.

It might be that adjustments could be made to help you out, and I agree placement is also important.

Good Luck, Hope your recovery is smooth,
Peri

Old 11-25-2003, 05:11 PM   #4
Inactive

tennisnut HB User

Hey JustWant2SitAgain & Peri -

Thanks for the good advice. I've learned a few things with some trial and error. First, you are right in that the corset can easily start to ride up on you without you noticing, so I am now regularly checking its position to make sure it sits low on my back. I'm also started to mold the metal rods (which are a little flexible) by bending them with my hands so that the top of the brace doesn't dig into my back. I couldn't bear to wear this thing when I'm lying down so will just have to hope it molds to my shape when I do use it. Another thing I realized was that I might be pulling it too tight. When I was fitted for it, the guy had me suck my breath in and then pulled it really tight. I thought that this was how I was supposed to use it. Little wonder that I could bearly breathe when I went out for a stroll. So I've loosened up the cinch but hopefully not too much. In any case, I'm counting the weeks until I say goodbye to this sucker!

All the best,

tennisnut

Old 11-26-2003, 06:58 AM   #5

JustWant2SitAgain HB User

after reading that you said you pulled your corset too tight at first, be careful! the day of my surgery when i first put it on, i tried pulling it tight like the guy who fitted mine and i ended up ripping it. luckily the place i got it from was nice about replacing it. definitely pull it snug but not so tight that it's uncomfortable or you can't breath. i've noticed that with mine i have a hard time taking deep breaths but normal breathing is fine.
once again good luck!

Old 12-10-2003, 06:09 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

[QUOTE=perianthal]Tennis,
I am new to this board and dont know what an IDET is, so I don't know how helpful my comments are, but my 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with stress fracture in her back and was given a Boston Brace, which is fiber glass which wraps around and attaches with velcro.

It was shear misery, bothered her more than the original problem. A friend of hers also had had a stress fracture (they are both gymnasts). Her friend used the corset type brace. We borrowed it from her and bent it to fit. It took several tries, but was worth making the changes. My daughter was in it 24-7 for 2 months and managed ok.

It might be that adjustments could be made to help you out, and I agree placement is also important.

Good Luck, Hope your recovery is smooth,

Peri[/QUOTE]

Please tell your daughter to be careful. I had three stress fractures from young gymnastics and just had spinal fusion 6 weeks ago and its possible I will need another.
Stress fractures get worse as you age.

Old 12-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #7

perianthal HB User

[QUOTE=ltedeschi]Please tell your daughter to be careful. I had three stress fractures from young gymnastics and just had spinal fusion 6 weeks ago and its possible I will need another.
Stress fractures get worse as you age.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your concern, I'm afraid it is already too late. We really don't know if she ever had a stress fracture, (docs not sure), but what we are sure of is that she has sclerosis(arthritis) in L4-L5 facet joints. She is planning to do gymnastics in college next year, if we can get the pain under control, and sadly she simply expects to then get the facets fused once she graduates. I know that sounds irresponsible, but it is that important to her.

How are you doing post fusion? I hope things are going well for you. This back stuff is pretty awful. Thank you for your post,
Peri

Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Tennisnut,

I think the idea behind the corset is to remind you that you've just had surgery. I am 6 weeks post op from a fusion of the L5S1 and i have worn my brace for 6 weeks. I took the metal rods out (in fact they took them out at the hospital) and that made life a little better. Just tighten until its snug and if you do want to take it off for a break then just remember to keep your deep abdominals as tight as you can, there is no better protection for your back than strong abdominals.

I learnt also not to eat a meal with it on, i got really bad indigestion

Hope this helps

Brooke

Old 12-11-2003, 05:17 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

[QUOTE=perianthal]Thanks for your concern, I'm afraid it is already too late. We really don't know if she ever had a stress fracture, (docs not sure), but what we are sure of is that she has sclerosis(arthritis) in L4-L5 facet joints. She is planning to do gymnastics in college next year, if we can get the pain under control, and sadly she simply expects to then get the facets fused once she graduates. I know that sounds irresponsible, but it is that important to her.

How are you doing post fusion? I hope things are going well for you. This back stuff is pretty awful. Thank you for your post,
Peri[/QUOTE]

How does her doctor feel about her continuing her gymnastics? I truly believe she may be able but 5-10 years down the road she will definitely think different.

I has my fusion on Oct. 22 and did well at first then had alot!!!!!!of leg problems. At my six week check up they found I had a hardware failure and may go back in to redo the whole operation. I will know Tues. Did the doctor do a flex xray?
That is where she lays on her side and sorta arches her back towards the back?
That is how they found the stress fractures. With a MRI they thought it was Spondylilothesis( probably wrong spelling)only.
My worry with your daughter is that this is temporary( gymnastics) but the rest of her life is a long time. I enjoyed all sports basketball, skiing snow and water, tennis, you name it.Now I can't do anything.
The other worry would be if she plans to have children. Pregnancy is so hard on the spine if its well much less if damaged.
I have three children 22, 18, 16 and I know how hard headed they can be so I will just pray for her to have an enjoyable yet uneventful year with it.
Good Luck
Lisa

Old 12-11-2003, 05:38 AM   #10

perianthal HB User

Lisa,
Thanks again for your thoughts, believe me, I share all your concerns. The doctor did explain the long term risks to her. I have major anxiety about allowing her to continue, but he works with professional athletes and he understands that stopping is simply not an option for some people. So he supports her decision despite the huge risks. There isn't room to explain all that she has already been through, but suffice it to say she has earned the right to make this decision (for now at least).

I do so hope they are able to rectify the hardware problem you are having, and that you can get back some of your previous activity.

Take care,
Peri

Closed Thread