It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #1

jacktip HB User
T-9 compression fracture

I've had a T-9 compression fracture since June and it doesn't seem to be healing....still have a lot of pain and am taking Darvocet every 3 hours. It helps dull the pain but I still feel like a semi invalid; at least I'm still able to get out of bed and function albeit like an old man. Has anyone any experience with this type fracture and how long it should take to heal; also what is the best drug for pain. I realize after reviewing some of the threads on this board that I'm lucky compared to the problems a lot of you face but I still hurt and would like to get better. Thanks for any input. Jack

Old 11-24-2003, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: T-9 compression fracture

Jack, I have no experience with your problem, but this is my thoughts on the pain issue. If you have been taking darvocet since June, it probably no longer gives adequate relief. Have you discussed with your doctor other possible mean of obtaining relief, such as injections? Hopefully, someone will come along who can advise you more thoroughly. Good luck to you.
Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
(female)

FriarJen83 HB User

Hi! I know exactly what you're talking about. I have compression fractures at T6,T7,and T8 and it's been about 14 months now, and I still have constant pain.
Doctors told me that they heal on their own within a few months but that has definitely not been the case for me. I dont know if you've talked to a doctor about surgery but there is a simple surgery where they inject a material into the collapsed vertebrae and it causes it to regain its lost height. I can find you more info if you want.
They say that this almost always causes immediate and total relief....but I think it's only an option for the first year after the fractures happen.
I've tried everything for relief...ESI's, PT,chiropractors,etc. and nothing has helped. But I wish you good luck with it...and make sure you let me know if you find something that helps!
~Jen~

Old 11-25-2003, 05:16 PM   #4

jacktip HB User

[QUOTE=carol632]Jack, I have no experience with your problem, but this is my thoughts on the pain issue. If you have been taking darvocet since June, it probably no longer gives adequate relief. Have you discussed with your doctor other possible mean of obtaining relief, such as injections? Hopefully, someone will come along who can advise you more thoroughly. Good luck to you.
Carol[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply, Carol. I've been taking darvocet for only about one month....I'm hoping I want have to take it too much longer as I realize these drugs often lose effectiveness after taken for awhile. I did ask my orthopedic doctor about the injections but he said all I needed was a few more months. Sure hope he was right. Thanks again. Jack

Old 11-25-2003, 05:20 PM   #5

jacktip HB User

[QUOTE=FriarJen83]Hi! I know exactly what you're talking about. I have compression fractures at T6,T7,and T8 and it's been about 14 months now, and I still have constant pain.
Doctors told me that they heal on their own within a few months but that has definitely not been the case for me. I dont know if you've talked to a doctor about surgery but there is a simple surgery where they inject a material into the collapsed vertebrae and it causes it to regain its lost height. I can find you more info if you want.
They say that this almost always causes immediate and total relief....but I think it's only an option for the first year after the fractures happen.
I've tried everything for relief...ESI's, PT,chiropractors,etc. and nothing has helped. But I wish you good luck with it...and make sure you let me know if you find something that helps!
~Jen~[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jen.....sorry to hear you have multiple fractures and it's been so long. I did ask my orthopedic doctor if I would be a good candidate for the injections (vertebroplasty) and he just laughed and said I didn't need any surgery, just more time. I think I'm going to another one and get a second opinion on this as I'm tired of hurting all the time. Thanks again and I hope your problem gets better soon. Jack

Old 11-25-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
(female)

bounce HB User

hi jack and jen
i also have had a compression fracture of t8 and i have had corrective surgrey
i had car accident in nov99 and had surgrey feb 2002 so time somtimes is not a healer the best thing to do is do a search on this site for user names shiz,shizzy,oliver dove and bounce you will find a stack of stuff
i hope this helps iam happy i had surgrey as im only youngish (late 20's) and did not want a kyphosis for the rest of my life

takecare bounce
march 2000 after having ct scan discovered i was prgnant NOT PLANNED
decemeber 2000 had beautiful baby boy who is my motivation
feb 2002 had surgrey a long gap form accident to op as i also breest fed my wee boy
feb 5th 2002 had my back op
posterior osteotomy and release,subsequent anterior trans thorasic approach with corpectomy of T8 and reconstruction using mesh cage with rib bone graft and a third stage of posterior correction of the deformity using pedicle screw instrumention and further bone grafting.
own bone used rib 7 on left side so have big gap
march 17 2003 got all clear from surgeon i have fused
-----------------
july 2003 ercp to remove gallstone from bile duct
august 2003 gallbladder removed

Closed Thread