It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 08:26 AM   #1

randee HB User
Thumbs up 12 days post op-I can post to good outcomes wanted! HOORAY!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PRAYERS AND YOUR CARING!

I would never be able to name all the wonderful people that have sent well wishes and answered my questions over the last few months.

I am twelve days post op ( L5-S1 fusion, iliac crest with pedicle screws and rods - November 14, 2003). Saw my o/s yesterday, all staples and stitches removed and first set of x-rays taken. He wanted to show me that what was done was exactly as he had anticipated. He couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome !!

The numbness, that terrible tingling and burning, and let us not forget, the worst pain of all, the constant feeling that I you've just been whacked across your lower back with a large two by four-GONE, COMPLETELY, HONEST!

Don't get me wrong, there is still a whole lot of pain (I don't want anyone to think you wake up from surgery pain free). Fortunately, it's all post op pain. I think it's important to feel this pain, it acts as my reminder to take it slow, and allow your body to heal. I know have a tendency to want to get right back in action, which we all know is not a good idea. Walking is the best therapy. I am finding it easier to walk a little further each day.

My doctors were amazing (medical skill, as well as personality). They kept me laughing in the O/R while I was being prepped for surgery. I finally suggested that the anethesiologist put me out - cause I was in pain from laughing at their corny jokes.

I was truly one of the reluctant patients, afraid to have surgery. I was exteremely apprehensive and fearful of the final outcome. I didn't think the pain I was in would ever subside. My ortho and neuro both were dynamite, explaining every aspect of the surgery with me. Encouraged me to see other doctors for second, or even third opinions if I still had doubts. My ortho was actually the one that encouraged me to this visit this website. He thought I would find useful info from others who had had the surgery, and to hear their experiences. He felt I would possibly get answers to questions I had not even thought of. How right he was!

Sooo, here I am, twelve days later encouraging anyone that is suffering in pain, or frightened at the thought of surgery to ask questions. Ask doctors, people who post to this website, or anyone else that may have answers to your questions. Knowledge is power, there are no silly questions when it comes to putting your mind at ease. I can say as long as you feel comfortable with your doctors and you have exhausted all other avenues available and surgery is indicated-go for it! Before you know it you'll be posting your story to this website, listing yourself as ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY!

BEST WISHES TO ALL. ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE ARE WELCOME; MY ONLY HOPE IS TO PUT YOUR MIND AT EASE AS SO MANY HAVE DONE FOR ME!!! AND ALL THOSE PRAYERS I RECEIVED FROM OTHERS I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TENFOLD. TONS OF LOVE, RANDEE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 09:17 AM   #2

camelia HB User
Re: 12 days post op-I can post to good outcomes wanted! HOORAY!!!!!!!!

that is such great news randee - i am indeed one of those exactly in your position before you had the op - confused, depressed, in pain etc etc!! so to read your letter is really joyful for me - please keep posting re your recovery
Coincidently yesterday I met a chiropractor at the place where I go for physio & she too was wonderful about surgery having had successful back surgery herself! - so I have appointment for an evaluation with her today - my pt has decreased my pain about 10% maybe even just 5%! - but has helped with mu depression & with recent positive post surgery postings like yours & Brooke's & David's my head is finally coming around to accepting I need to have surgery
what else can I say - its been a hard row to hoe this year but this board has been so supportive for me too
well done & congrats randee - & my wishes for your continuing recovery - again - please send back updates!
long distance love
camelia

Last edited by camelia; 11-25-2003 at 09:23 AM.

Old 11-26-2003, 05:28 AM   #3

randee HB User
Re: 12 days post op-I can post to good outcomes wanted! HOORAY!!!!!!!!

Camelia
It's good to hear you found someone to speak to first hand about their experience. Get all the info you need and then find the best doctor possible, even if it means traveling a bit. I was afraid if I found a doctor that was to far away that traveling home from surgery would be unbearably painful. Not so- they drug you to the max before you leave. I don't even remember the drive home. or the hospital stay for that matter! Milestone-I took my first shower yesterday, ahhh heaven-it's the little things. (lol) Good luck and feel free to ask any questions I can help you with!

Closed Thread