It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #1
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Question Question??

[COLOR=DarkRed]When it's been 7yrs since your accident, nothing's changed both physically and in your MRI results (had many), how do you get your dr to order another MRI but with contrast this time, without sounding paranoid etc.?? That's my situation right now!! None of my drs have taken me seriously for 7yrs!! They're all quite happy with just giving me my pain meds, and sending me on my way!! I can't help but feel that something's being missed somewhere!! I have all the symptoms of sciatica, bulging discs both cervical and lumbar, DDD, DJD, cervicogenic headaches, and cervical and lumbar facet joint dysfunction. I'm very concerned about nerve damage, yet all my drs aren't even though they say I have sciatica. My MRIs say arthritis is beginning to form, that they can't rule out nerve compression, and that these discs are touching the thecal sac!! I truly believe that something's either not showing up, or that the drs are missing something! Any advice you can give me on how to approach them would be greatly appreciated! Take care!![/COLOR]

Old 11-28-2003, 07:18 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Question??

I'm just bumping this up, 'cause I could really use some advice!!! I'm getting so frustrated, that I feel the door of the "pit" getting ever so close!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 07:22 AM   #3

Marg001 HB User

Hi out2lunch,
I realize where you are coming from with being frustrated and it's only been just over a year since I have had this pain, but it seems longer! Have you been for a second opinion? I know that if they want to operate on me I am definately going to get a second opinion! I see you are in Ontario, so am I! Take care.[QUOTE=out2lunch]I'm just bumping this up, 'cause I could really use some advice!!! I'm getting so frustrated, that I feel the door of the "pit" getting ever so close!![/QUOTE]

Old 11-28-2003, 07:32 AM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Marg, I've been to so many different drs for their opinion that I've lost count LOL!! The only thing they can agree on, is that surgery will make me worse!!
Where in Ont. are you?? I'm in Hamilton. Are we close?? Take care!

Old 11-28-2003, 07:38 AM   #5

Marg001 HB User

out2lunch, I am in Scarborough(ugh!). Wow were pretty close though. I have only been to one Ortho.[QUOTE=out2lunch]Hi Marg, I've been to so many different drs for their opinion that I've lost count LOL!! The only thing they can agree on, is that surgery will make me worse!!
Where in Ont. are you?? I'm in Hamilton. Are we close?? Take care![/QUOTE]

Old 11-28-2003, 07:42 AM   #6

Marg001 HB User

Oh yes, I forgot to ask where about's do you go for your back and have you tried PT? I know I tried it and it didn't do a thing for me! I have to have a CT scan on Dec 3, not looking forward to that, but if it will determine exactly where the problem is in my disc or I should say disc's , then maybe they will be able to figure out something. I am really suprised though the lack of communication between my family doctor and my Ortho. She gave me a referrel to a Neuro and yesterday the Ortho is sending me for an EMG???? What gives with that I don't really know Oh well not much I can do.

Last edited by Marg001; 11-28-2003 at 07:47 AM.

Old 11-28-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hello again LOL!! The only place I go now is to my pain man. dr!! He tried botox injections once, but it made me worse so now he only prescribes meds and says that's my only option! I've been to the orthos, neuros etc.
Why are you concerned about the CT?? Are you claustrophobic?? If not, there's nothing to worry about!! I've had 4 CTs and about 6 MRIs!! You just lay on the table and wait for them to finish taking their pictures. The MRI is really loud, so they give you ear plugs and usually will play some music for you!
You can talk to the staff the whole time you're having the test done too, and they'll check on you periodically to make sure you're ok!
The only problem I had, was after laying for so long, I needed help getting back up! Which was so embarrassing for me 'cause it was someone younger then me that had to help me up LOL! I couldn't even lift my leg high enough for her to take the pillow out LOL!
Anyway, there's no pain in doing these tests, unless you're having it with contrast etc. 'cause then they're injecting some dye in you, and if you hate needles (like me) then ok LOL!
Let me know how you make out with your CT ok? Take care!!

Old 11-28-2003, 08:21 AM   #8

Marg001 HB User

Hi again,
Wow, it's a small world afterall, lol!! Anyway the only reason I don't like CT scans is that when they inject the dye through the IV it REALLY hurts cause I have small veins, but if they don't have to use a dye then that would be great(please let them not to have to!)LOL. They can't do an MRI because I have a Harrington Rod in my back from 26 years ago due to Scoliosis. My Ortho says I don't want you to be a human magnet! LOL . I will let you know how it goes. Hope you are having a good day, take care.

Old 11-28-2003, 08:28 AM   #9
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I'm hoping that today will eventually turn into a good day LOL, but so far painwise it's hell LOL!!
You said you have a harrington rod?? You don't have SEDS by any chance do you?? The reason I'm asking is 'cause a close friend of mine, has it and has to have a few surgeries that include a harrington rod and she's scared to death!!! I hope your day's better then mine LOL, take care!

Old 11-28-2003, 08:34 AM   #10

Marg001 HB User

Thanks out2lunch, I am having a better day than yesterday. I am sorry to hear your having a ****day. I don't know what you mean by SEDS? I had Scoliosis. Even though I had that done my spine is still got quite a curve on it. Tell your friend to try not to worry to much because I know that nowadays they have much more advanced procedures than they did 26 yrs ago that are proven to be very effective at fixing a curvature. I thought they didn't use Harrington Rod Procedure anymore, Hummmmm. Anways take care!!![QUOTE=out2lunch]I'm hoping that today will eventually turn into a good day LOL, but so far painwise it's hell LOL!!
You said you have a harrington rod?? You don't have SEDS by any chance do you?? The reason I'm asking is 'cause a close friend of mine, has it and has to have a few surgeries that include a harrington rod and she's scared to death!!! I hope your day's better then mine LOL, take care![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Marg001; 11-28-2003 at 08:34 AM.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:44 AM   #11
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

SEDS is a rare bone disease...SpodyloEpipispeal and I can't remember the rest LOL!! I do know that it involves scoliosis for her too! Her spine's curved like an S, and the drs say if she doesn't have surgery soon, eventually her spine will collapse and she'll either be crippled or dead!! Obviously you don't have it LOL 'cause you didn't know what it was!
I think her biggest concerned is 'cause she's witnessed others on the "striker frame" and she don't want no part of it! Were you put on this?? Take care!!

Old 11-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #12

Marg001 HB User

I have never heard of this disease. My spine was like an S too due to a very fast growth spurt. I was in a bed that had two large rails on both sides and a remote. When I wanted to go on my stomach the nurse would come and put this other part on top of me but not touching me and then they would use the remote and the bed would slowly rotate so that I ended on my stomach. It wasn't that bad, but then again I was only sixteen at the time. They use to use the old striker beds a long time ago. I am not quite sure what they call these beds. I guess when your that age some things don't seem that bad. I am curious as to what kind of accident you had, if you don't mind me asking.
Bye for now and take good care, and nice chatting with you.

Last edited by Marg001; 11-28-2003 at 10:56 AM.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:06 AM   #13
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

My accident was a car accident 7yrs ago!! An 80yr old woman was making a left turn in an intersection that I was already halfway through, and we hit with my driver front corner into the middle of her front end!! It was like hitting a brick wall!!!
She swears that she didn't even see me 'cause I wasn't anywhere near the intersection!! Do you believe that?? I told her if that was the case we wouldn't have hit head-on!! I would've hit her in the back end!
She also said she was sitting at a red light and went when it turned green!! It was already green with the red hand flashing! Luckily, there were several people sitting in the other directions (at the red light) waiting for the green and saw the whole thing!!
It turned out that she was going to visit her neice that lived on that corner, and so she was looking there instead of in the intersection!! I also found out that she was taking meds that she shouldn't have been driving with!!
I was also told that she gave up her license, too late now eh?? I also had my 3 kids in the car with me, so they also have their own chronic problems to deal with!!
Who cares that she gave up her license, I can't drive anymore either thanks to her!
Sorry if I sound angry, I can't help it! Especially when I'm having high pain levels, or when I see my kids suffering 'cause she didn't know when to stop driving!!
I have herniated discs in the cervical and lumbar areas! I've been diagnosed with cervicogenic headaches, cervical and lumbar facet joint dysfunction, DDD, DJD, herniated discs, and sciatica!!
The drs say surgery would only make me worse, I've tried physio therapy etc., and they say meds are my only option!!
I can't handle taking meds for the rest of my life, I'm only 35!! My kids are 19, 13 and 6!! What about the rest of their lives??
Anyway, sorry about the vent!! Feel free to ask anymore questions you have, take care!!

Old 11-29-2003, 05:19 AM   #14
Inactive

mokita HB User

HI Out2lunch!

I saw your response on another thread re: discogram. Have they recommended that to you? It really isn't that bad. Well, it's painful...but, they're read w/ a numbing agent if the disc is positive to inject right away...and also pain meds via injection they can give you if it's horrible. I didn't require the fentanyl (Pain med) even though I was near tears..ok, crying! But,...it was over quickly and well worth the correct diagnosis.

If you do have some discogenic pain adding to the whole mess, perhaps taking care of that one (or more, depending on how many levels) problem could make a difference in your overall quality of life~ . I would think that the docs would want to do whatever it takes to help lessen your pain. There are many minimally invasive procedures out there. I find it hard to believe that not one would help you...and not make it worse. I am not an expert at all....just my humble opinion. Healthcare - back surgeries have come so far. I just hate to see you in so much pain w/ no hope for relief. Doesn't seem right.

Karen

Old 12-01-2003, 12:52 PM   #15

Marg001 HB User

Hi Out2Lunch.
Wow! I'm very sorry to hear about your accident! I really hope that the court's made her pay in some sort of way other than taking away her licence!! Probably not though. Our Justice system sucks! I realize the aggravation and anguish you are going through. I was also in a accident with a girlfriend of mine. She fell asleep at the wheel and we where way up north and we hit a HUGE rock head on and the seatbelts didn't click in because she didn't even have the chance to put on the brake to at least stop. So when I seen the rock approachng I let out a scream and she put her arm in front of me to stop me going through the windshield but my head still hit the dash and crack the whole thing and I was pulling glass out of my head and face for a long time. She received a shattered right arm in so she says by trying to save my life, ya right, maybe if she wasn't drinking it wouldn't have happened!!! She received absolutely no penalty for drinking and driving because it took so long to go through the court and because it was up north. There is never enough justice out there for us, especially to have to go through what you are going through right now. I really believe that they should be testng the elderly more often. There is no need to apologize for venting Take care of yourself and I hope you are having a good day today. [QUOTE=out2lunch]My accident was a car accident 7yrs ago!! An 80yr old woman was making a left turn in an intersection that I was already halfway through, and we hit with my driver front corner into the middle of her front end!! It was like hitting a brick wall!!!
She swears that she didn't even see me 'cause I wasn't anywhere near the intersection!! Do you believe that?? I told her if that was the case we wouldn't have hit head-on!! I would've hit her in the back end!
She also said she was sitting at a red light and went when it turned green!! It was already green with the red hand flashing! Luckily, there were several people sitting in the other directions (at the red light) waiting for the green and saw the whole thing!!
It turned out that she was going to visit her neice that lived on that corner, and so she was looking there instead of in the intersection!! I also found out that she was taking meds that she shouldn't have been driving with!!
I was also told that she gave up her license, too late now eh?? I also had my 3 kids in the car with me, so they also have their own chronic problems to deal with!!
Who cares that she gave up her license, I can't drive anymore either thanks to her!
Sorry if I sound angry, I can't help it! Especially when I'm having high pain levels, or when I see my kids suffering 'cause she didn't know when to stop driving!!
I have herniated discs in the cervical and lumbar areas! I've been diagnosed with cervicogenic headaches, cervical and lumbar facet joint dysfunction, DDD, DJD, herniated discs, and sciatica!!
The drs say surgery would only make me worse, I've tried physio therapy etc., and they say meds are my only option!!
I can't handle taking meds for the rest of my life, I'm only 35!! My kids are 19, 13 and 6!! What about the rest of their lives??
Anyway, sorry about the vent!! Feel free to ask anymore questions you have, take care!![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Marg001; 12-01-2003 at 12:53 PM.

Closed Thread