It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2003, 04:08 AM   #1
Inactive

mokita HB User
Exclamation Nucleoplasty Approved - Finally!

Hi all.

After many phone calls back and forth to hospital - and insurance.... the Finance Coord @ hospital finally listened to me when I said that my insurance covers 100% outpatient surgery as long as it's done by In Network Doc. She was irritated when I told her what ins said - told me that UHC flat-out says 'NO' to covering Nucleoplasty....but, made the call. Called me back to say "Apparently - your insurance doesn't require pre-determination or pre-certification for this procedure....they will look @ claim when it comes in. I have to tell you that if it's Not covered - you're ultimately responsible" Duh!

Since the hospital has fiddled around (could think of more appropriate word) - I can't get in until January 9th. Unfortunately, my step-daughter will only be here for a week post-surgery to help 24/7 w/ my girls. I am calling the doc's secty on Monday to see if they can squeeze me in sooner. Will let you know.

Surg Coord said that the hospital may be starting to require back-braces after this surgery ~ and Physical Therapy pre-surgery for core strengthening. I have already requested the PT and am feeling stronger - esp abs which pleases me. The Back Brace is something new for them w/ this surgery - they have not required it up to this point. I am waiting to hear about appt for fitting. If the Brace will give me a better chance for successful recovery, I am all for it.

Last thing - my discogram was 10/6/03....it has now been 7 weeks waiting for the 'insurance approval' ~ just wondering how long it would have been if I'd just let them 'do their job?'

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 07:01 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Nucleoplasty Approved - Finally!

Congrats Karen, on finally getting it approved!! I'm sure you'd still be waiting if you'd let them do their job LOL!! Most times, the squeaky wheel gets the oil right?? I wish you luck on getting the date moved up too, take care!!

Old 11-28-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User

Hi Karen,

You Go Girl!!! It's a shame we have to do all of this hoop jumping, isn't that what all those people are supposed to be getting paid for?!? hehe I guess if we want anything done right....we gotta do it ourselves! wheeee!

I believe the back brace is essential post 2 weeks nucleo. You'll start wearing it 24/7 the first week. Then only during daytime the next...stuff like that. Whatever they say to do, I know you'll follow their instructions. You're like that. hehe

In my heart....I know this will work for you Karen. You are going to be a new woman by the end of next year. And by 2005....you will be in your life as you love it and want it. Isn't that cool? It will be here before you know it, my friend. You'll be better right away....but the return of life as you want it will still take a bit of time. That's all we have right now though....isn't it? Good luck to you Karen. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old 11-28-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
Inactive

mokita HB User
Talking Re: Nucleoplasty Approved - Finally!

Thanks Out2Lunch & Successtory!

I am one really squeaky wheel! I know that lady @ hosp cringed everytime I called! Wait til she gets to hear from the Doc about her screw-up! Maybe this won't have to happen to someone else!

I think what happened is - she HAS dealt w/ United Healthcare for other patients. But...the trick is that there are more than one plan under them. Mine is Choice Plus. Maybe that's the dif....and she just 'assumed'. Well - we all know what they say about *** u me!

I am very, very excited! I WILL wear that darn brace as long as they want me to! The thought of being 'my old self' by 2005!!!! well.....let's just say I am one happy lady right now!

I am prepared as much as I can be for the post-surgery blues. I am typically impatient...esp when it comes to my body and how fast I THINK things should happen. But...I will be a good girl and listen to doc's orders and rely on many people's experiences here on these boards! This is the 'true knowledge'....and, I am happy I realize that.

Happy Holidays!

Karen

Old 11-29-2003, 07:17 AM   #5

MPT HB User

Mokita,
Congratulations!!!!! I wish you the best. Continue to be positive. Attitude is everything. You are on your way to a better life!!!!!!!!!
MPT

Old 11-29-2003, 08:10 AM   #6
Inactive

mokita HB User

Thanks MPT!!!

Karen

Old 11-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran

daubie HB User

Hi Mokita! Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!!!!! I'm so happy for you. I know everything will go well for you. Take care. ~daubie
Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 12-01-2003, 04:22 AM   #8
Inactive

mokita HB User
Talking Re: Nucleoplasty Approved - Finally!

daubie!!!!

So nice to see you! Thanks so much! I hope it all goes well. I'm waiting on the clock to turn 8am right now so that I can call the hospital and speak w/ doc's secty & try to get this sched' a week earlier! Wish me luck!

Karen

Old 12-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #9

HNPatL4L5 HB User

Karen, great news! You are just the kind of person (wise and careful) to do what is necessary after the procedure to give yourself the best chance of an excellent outcome. If I can help you before your sister comes or after she leaves, let me know. (I'm off work between Jan 6 and Jan 18.)

Old 12-03-2003, 04:20 AM   #10
Inactive

mokita HB User

God Bless you, HNP!

You're a sweetie! Guess what though???? My step-daughter (that's who's coming, btw ) is not only visiting ~ she's moving home! As chaotic as that w/b trying to move her from California to Ohio in 3 weeks time while she's studying for finals and we live a mere 3000 miles away....I will have her here as long as I need help w/ the girls! God sure does work in mysterious ways!

Thanks so much for the offer! I will be putting a list of things I need together and getting ready. So, I know there's a post somewhere of all the stuff ie grabbers, raised toilet seat, etc...Will be back in!

Take care!

Karen

Old 12-04-2003, 05:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning Karen,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply to your post but I just read it this morning as I have been away from the boards for almost a week. I am so very happy for you. I hope that you will be able to get your surgery date moved up and you will be in my prayers. I wish you the very best. I just knew you would get this done. I should have talked to you when I had all the problems with my back brace...lol[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Have a great day [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-04-2003, 06:25 AM   #12
Inactive

mokita HB User

Hi Tomorrow!

I hope that everything is ok and that you just computer probs that kept you away!

Thank you so much! I am getting excited. It will be here before I know it. The Holidays will make it fly!

Karen

Closed Thread