It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
(female)

ribbit HB User
Question New and needing help...

Hi everyone! I'm new here and feeling kind of helpless about my stupid back. I am 24 years old and have had a discectomy on L4/5 (on my 23rd birthday). Six months after this surgery I had to have hip surgery for torn cartilage. I seem to be going back and forth between these two parts of my body and have gotten in a viscous cycle.

I would like to say to everyone out there... hang in there and keep your chin up! This back stuff can really get to you. I majored in exercise science in undergrad and have been planning on going to physical therapy school in the fall but can't seem to will my spine to get better. I really feel that my "calling" is to do physical therapy with pediatrics. I just don't know how to get there...

I just had a discogram and things didn't go too well. It showed that I have herniations at L3/4, a recurrent herniation at L4/5 (the one that has already been operated on) and a herniation at L5/S1. I briefly talked with the doctor who did the discogram whom I respect very highly. They are doing an ENG this week to see how much, if any, nerve damage I have from all of this. For the first time since all of these back problems started, I am really scared. Scared that this is it and things won't get better. Fusion has been mentioned but I keep hearing "You're too young." I agree but my young age doesn't seem to help me hurt less or become more functional.

Does anyone have any advice? Or maybe a good experience with anything? Is anyone a physical therapist and do you think my aspiration to do peds PT is unrealistic? I have been refusing to beileve this, but I am starting to get discouraged. I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 12:13 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: New and needing help...

Ribbit, welcome!! I'm so sorry for what's brought you hear, and I don't really have much advice!! I just wanted to welcome you, and to let you know that you've come to a great place for complete understanding and compassion!!
I've been dealing with this for 7yrs now, so know just how frustrating it can be!! I'm very discouraged too, and would love for all this to just be some stupid nightmare that I'm going to wake up from!!
Hopefully someone will be along shortly with some advice for you!! I'm afraid all I can tell you, is to not give up, and to take each day as it comes!! Even I know that's easier said then done! Good luck to you, take care!!

Old 11-29-2003, 05:40 AM   #3
Inactive

waves2ya HB User

[QUOTE=ribbit]
Does anyone have any advice? Or maybe a good experience with anything? Is anyone a physical therapist and do you think my aspiration to do peds PT is unrealistic? I have been refusing to beileve this, but I am starting to get discouraged. I would greatly appreciate any advice![/QUOTE]

Welcome to the 'back board'. And - you are young. Check out my post in the "Post-IDET" thread (or search on my nick) and you'll find a mini-library - read. I've heard it said one should not have more than a surgical procedure in a year (unless, of course, there are mitigating circumstances). I'm working out on my own (!) of hip, lumbo/sacral, back deficiency, as well.

See if you can find something new to teach this crew. We'd all be thankful!

~waves

Last edited by waves2ya; 11-29-2003 at 08:51 AM.

Old 11-29-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
(female)

ribbit HB User

Thanks waves2ya and out2lunch for your kind words! I will go to the mini-library waves and see what I can find. If anyone has any questions on anatomy stuff or exercises I would be glad to help... not a physical therapist yet but do love the subject and have studied it extensively. I have tried water aerobics and it was wonderful... somewhat of a pain to make myself find the time to go and get all chlorined up but it does help with movement and flexibility.

I am greatful for you responses. Keep responding and I will too. Hope you all have a wonderful football filled weekend. (If you like football that is.) I graduated from UT in Knoxille so I will be cheering the Vols on today.

Closed Thread