It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2003, 06:36 PM   #1

Rayh78 HB User
Getting disability with back problems

Long story but back problems for about 10 years with 3 surgerys.
Got real bad again this past summer and doctor wants to do surgery again for herniated disk. Last three times not that great from scarr tissue. So decided to wait and try to adjust my life to this problem. Been fighting it for to long.
Applied for disability and have to wait until end of January for decision. In the meantime I have got a lot better, still in pain but might be able to handle it. Could not if it gets even a little worse. After 3 months the pain got 50% better. But next 3 months has stayed the same.
Offered a desk with a new company. Dont know if I should try and if I cant handle it have to start the disability claim process over again?
Any suggestions?
Need something in my life to keep mind off my problems but dont want another failure.

Try to adjust to life and go for disability or or try again to work?
Financially better off if I work, but will be worse if I cant handle it and start disability over again.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:36 PM   #2

lucyvanpelt3 HB User
Re: Getting disability with back problems

[QUOTE=Rayh78]Long story but back problems for about 10 years with 3 surgerys.
Got real bad again this past summer and doctor wants to do surgery again for herniated disk. Last three times not that great from scarr tissue. So decided to wait and try to adjust my life to this problem. Been fighting it for to long.
Applied for disability and have to wait until end of January for decision. In the meantime I have got a lot better, still in pain but might be able to handle it. Could not if it gets even a little worse. After 3 months the pain got 50% better. But next 3 months has stayed the same.
Offered a desk with a new company. Dont know if I should try and if I cant handle it have to start the disability claim process over again?
Any suggestions?
Need something in my life to keep mind off my problems but dont want another failure.

Try to adjust to life and go for disability or or try again to work?
Financially better off if I work, but will be worse if I cant handle it and start disability over again.[/QUOTE]

Dear Ray, I don't have any super suggestions, and for that I apologize.

Three surgeries!? That's awful! Have you been examined by a Neurosurgeron and an Orthopedic? Are you taking pain meds?

You really need to consult a WC attorney before making that decision about changing companies. I don't know how the liabiliy is handled from the point that the current company is the one you have filed under, OR if things didn't work out - would you have to "start over" or would this be a continuation?

I wish they gave points for people that come back to work and try to bear the pain. Most of the time, folks just look at you and think that you look "fine," and are faking. I have a life to live, and I haven't got time to play in a system that I don't understand, don't like, and wouldn't be in if I had my druthers.

I've noted that you can get a lot of READS on these boards to your post, but not many practical replies about what to "expect," employment/working to survive - financial worries, or any situational particulars that might identify a poster.

Do you think there's some unwritten rules that we don't know about? It's almost like a "don't ask, don't tell, don't reply" scenario.

I do understand that different states have different WC structures, and, the oldest standard in the book ... "EVERYONE'S CASE IS DIFFERENT."

My fingers and wrists got so stiff that I couldn't type on a keyboard, or use my erogonomic mouse! I was off work for eight months. I returned to work, did my best to mitigate my pain with meds and rest, and lasted about 11 months - then my pain came back even worse.

I don't like gambling daily with feeling well enough to work, and trying to hang in there until I drop. That strategy just made me even more anxious than agreeing to have back surgery - and I can't even get a good night's sleep with all the pain in my neck/shoulders/lower back. I'm too young to retire, and I just want to be independent and take care of myself.

Once again, sorry that I don't have a better reply for you, but I decided to send you a "hello!"

LUCYVP3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Ray, I don't know how things work where you're from, but here in Ont. Canada, you can't get disability unless you're COMPLETELY unable to do ANY type of work! Which means, if there's a possibility that you can do this desk job, you'll more then likely get turned down by disability anyway!! Therefore, I'd take the job and hope for the best!
On the other hand, if you know you won't be able to handle the job, I wouldn't risk having to start all over with disability! Once they know you've worked since applying, it's even harder to reapply!! Not to mention that it takes so long to get accepted, so who'd want to start all over again?
I guess I haven't really helped you either, sorry about that! All I can suggest is to weigh the pros and cons, and make sure you're completely comfortable with the decision, take care!!

Old 12-01-2003, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I did get disability due to my back problems after 3 surgeries. It took about 2 years total time with an attorney. I can't help with your decision, but urge you to speak with any attorney who specializes in SSD before you make a decision. Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best.
Carol

Closed Thread