It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2003, 04:17 AM   #1
Veteran

rlcowboy HB User
Unhappy second surgery on the 19th

Well I had a spinal fusion on March 24th and have been in pain ever since then, they ran more tests and found a tear in another disc, so now I'm going in for another surgery, this is the second in 8 months and I hope it will be the final one. This time my Doctor is gonna go in from the front side in order to get to the front of my spine and I will get more cages put in. I was just wondering what is real good to help with pain, I was taking lortab 10 but no relief really so now I take a couple of percocets every 4 hours but still in severe pain, so I dont know what else to ask my doctor to give me untill I can have this surgery on the 19th, any ideas?

Old 11-30-2003, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

ribbit HB User
Re: second surgery on the 19th

Hi rlcowboy! I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and wish you the best! I'm sorry that you have to have another surgery. Two surgeries in one year is the pits but hopefully will relieve your pain. I had a back surgery (on my 23 birthday nonetheless) and then a hip surgery a year and a half ago within about 6 or 7 months of each other so I feel your pain (in that respect anyway). Have you tried oxycontin? This medication sometimes gets a bad wrap but seems to be very effective. I have only taken it once right after my back surgery (they gave it to me in the hospital) but it worked very well. My adopted mom has spinal stenosis and takes it occasionally when nothing else will work. Might be worth looking into. It tends to make you loopy though... just a warning. Best of luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #3

SusanPLIF HB User

[QUOTE=rlcowboy]Well I had a spinal fusion on March 24th and have been in pain ever since then, they ran more tests and found a tear in another disc, so now I'm going in for another surgery, this is the second in 8 months and I hope it will be the final one. This time my Doctor is gonna go in from the front side in order to get to the front of my spine and I will get more cages put in. I was just wondering what is real good to help with pain, I was taking lortab 10 but no relief really so now I take a couple of percocets every 4 hours but still in severe pain, so I dont know what else to ask my doctor to give me untill I can have this surgery on the 19th, any ideas?[/QUOTE]

My heart goes out to you! I'm 17 weeks out of my fusion..and can't imagine not even getting through that one before the next comes. Bless your heart!!

[U]Any[/U] Class II narcotic is probably going to work a lot better than your Lortabs - I think those are class III. Percocets seem like child-play for the type of pain youre describing. I think (not 100%) that Oxycontin is a class II drug. Docs are really hesitant about prescribing them (any class II) b/c of the huge deal being made of the severe risk of addiction, et al.. However.. in your case..I'd sure be asking for that anyway - unless you have some kind of extenuating circumstance where you don't wanna risk it. Still.. Pain is nothing to play with. How about Ultram or even Vicodin? Norco? (I think those are III's) I'm not personally familiar with those, but I hear they work. I couldn't use any of those class III's b/c they all seemed to be related some way to codeine...and codeine makes me throw up (sorry, TMI). I hope you find relief without going through that kind of h#ll like I did.

You deserve some relief...

Old 12-01-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran

rlcowboy HB User

Hey, thank yall for your replies, after my fusion earlier this year I was taking oxycontin 40 mg twice daily but I took myself off it and went to lortabs, and I gotta say it was not easy adjusting to the lortabs! I think I must have had some withdrawals doing that? I am now taking percocet, 2 of them 4 times daily but it does very little to ease the pain, and to make things worse I had a fall on Friday night in the shower so I had to go to the dreadid ER, but they did give me a shot of dalaudid witch helped ALOT!! My doctor wants me to save the "stronger" pain meds untill after surgery, witch makes since to me but wow, the pain is just awful to say the least, and also today he gave me some Somas, so maybe that will help a little more? Is there anything between percocet and oxycontin?

Old 12-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #5

SusanPLIF HB User

[QUOTE=rlcowboy]Hey, thank yall for your replies, after my fusion earlier this year I was taking oxycontin 40 mg twice daily but I took myself off it and went to lortabs, and I gotta say it was not easy adjusting to the lortabs! I think I must have had some withdrawals doing that? I am now taking percocet, 2 of them 4 times daily but it does very little to ease the pain, and to make things worse I had a fall on Friday night in the shower so I had to go to the dreadid ER, but they did give me a shot of dalaudid witch helped ALOT!! My doctor wants me to save the "stronger" pain meds untill after surgery, witch makes since to me but wow, the pain is just awful to say the least, and also today he gave me some Somas, so maybe that will help a little more? Is there anything between percocet and oxycontin?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there is, Cowboy! There's a WIDE spread between those two!

I don't know about you, but I was in more pain BEFORE surgery. Sure, I had a H#LLACIOUS time with muscle spasms after surgery...and there was surgery pain...but.. I didn't have a hard time at all working myself down on the pain meds after surgery. I used dilaudid (4mg's) before AND worked down from those (4, then 3, then 2, then 1mg) after surgery. They worked great (well as they can - you know what I mean).
I see your doctor's point though..and he knows your history best.
Those Somas are great too.. I would not have gotten through many a day/night post-op without those. I bet they help if youre spasming.

Keep the faith, buddy. Wish I could give more suggestions..

Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
Red face Re: second surgery on the 19th

I am sorry to hear that anyone else is going to go through a second surgery so soon.
I had a fusion six weeks ago and at my check up this week they found a cage is in the wrong place which explains all the nerve pain that has actually disabled me it is pressing right on the nerve root.
I had a ct scan on Tues. and within a week will know if I will have the same surgery done all over again.
At first I was furious and wanted to know who messed up. I then spoke to my nephew a doctor at Mayo and he said just be glad they have a reason for the pain. Often times people have surgery and have severe pain after with no reason and nothing they can do but medicate.
I have changed my mindset to be grateful doctors can help those of us needing help.

Closed Thread