It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Laminectomy/discectomy anyone??

Hi all,
I'm wondering, I had a laminectomy/discectomy Sept 5th, the first 6-8 weeks was hell but doing alot better now. I am back to work ect. (sales/customer service). I am having alot of stiffness and 'pulling' and wondering if it will ever subside. My physical therapist seems to think it is scar tissue that need broken through as I was messed up for a good year and a half before my current doc finally found the problem. He seems to think that I have so much scar tissue onthe spine that needs broken through that is what is causing this. I pray that it will get better, he seems to think so. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Mistina

Old 12-01-2003, 03:41 PM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Laminectomy/discectomy anyone??

Hi Mistina, sorry I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to wish you luck in your recovery, and to say that I was glad to hear that you're doing better! Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 05:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Bump!!! Anyone?

Old 12-02-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
Inactive

mspsub HB User

Hi Mistina,

Don't worry too much...waht you are feeling is normal. I had a MicroD last June and has taken several months for the "stiffness" and "pulling" to go down.

I think that your PT is right....although it may be that your muscles are very weak and get stiff with the exercise. Our back muscles atrophy a lot during the inactivity required to recover from surgery. Keep active, but listen to your body.

Daily exercise and stretching a few times a day has helped me a ton.

Take care,

Mark

Old 12-03-2003, 05:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Hi Mark!
Thanks for the encouragement! I am doing daily stretching and exercise along with PT 3 times a weeks. It has also helped me alot. I only pray that I will get rid of the these sensations as they are still restricting me. I was messed up for almost two years before surgery and I didn't use my muscles and stuff for so long and that is my big problem I know. Another annoyance is the soreness and swelling over the area that he did all the work. I wonder if it will ever heal. I had a bone spur removed from the facet join so it is still so tender.
How are you feeling now?

Christina

Old 12-03-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Inactive

mspsub HB User

I am doing much better!!!! This past week I have been able to consistently exercise without reinflamming my L4 nerve. Now I should be able to strengthen my back so the muscles can do there job and keep my spine in place. This should further reduce my pain.

I still get faciculations (muscle twitches) all over my body, but I am taking a "liquid nerve concoction" that I found at a local herb shop. I believe that it si helping....heck.....even if it is the result of the placebo effect...I do not care...I am feeling better!

As for you swelling over the surgical area....is it redder and warmer than the surrounding area? I did not have any bone removed so I do not know if that is normal. Have you spoken with the doctor about this?

Have a great "pain free" day!

Mark

Old 12-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Mark,
I know what your mean by inflamming the nerve after activity. That is such an annoyance when you want to work at getting better. What kind of exercise are you doing and how long?
When did you have your surgery?
My swelling isn't red and warm. It is sort of like a 'raw' feeling and soreness if I touch that area. I can still tell it has some healing to do as it is still 'fresh' wound. It's weird.
Sounds like your on the right track to recovery, that's great!!

Mistina

Old 12-03-2003, 12:24 PM   #8
Inactive

mspsub HB User

Mistina...

I had my microdiscectomy June 26th 2003. My incision was very small and healed very quickly...but my nerve did not. I had a postop MRI on Sept 8 to see why I was in so much pain. Luckily I my bro-in-law works with the best neuroradiologist in the world and she said that the surgeon did a good job and that I looked like I was on the road to recovery, but that my nerve was and I quote "extremely ****** off". She said that it would take 6-8 months before I started to feel better.

As for cardio exercise....I started to aqua jog for 15 minutes at a time a few of weeks ago. The next week I added swimming (side stroke...as per my PT) a few laps in addition to the jogging. And this week I have been cycling for 30 minutes a day and swimming several laps (I do cold-hot therapy between the pool and hot tub for a while after the work out)

I have been doing isolated back exercises with light weights as prescribed by my PT. They are sort of hard to describe. I use my bowflex to do them.

I am also starting to do the exercises from a very good back book by Rick Jemmett ( Spinal Stabalization - The new Science of Back Pain - ISBN: 0-9780968871515) My PT thumbed trough it and asked his admin to buy three for the office....it preaches the concepts that he has been following for years.

Hope this helps...

Mark

Old 12-03-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Hi Mark,
I was wondering where your nerve pain was? I also had impingement of the L4/L5 nerve root and still have the pain associated with the bone spur pressing on the nerve. I know nerves take a long time to heal and I'm praying that is all it's gonna take. Did you have pain in your sacrum/SI joint area?I'm pretty sure that the pain there is from my nerve being so aggrevated.
My leg pain is next to nothing just mostly back pain and pain on the spine where he did the work. I only pray that it is the nerve and it goes away!!
Thanks for sharing your advice!

Mistina

Old 12-03-2003, 09:09 PM   #10
Inactive

mspsub HB User

I have the same pain that you do...my worst pain is in the sacrum/SI area! I do have some hip pain, leg pain and numbness in my foot. But all of that is reducing.

It is nice to hear someone else that is experiencing the same thing that I am...not that I am glad that you are in pain....I am not that sadistic LOL.

Talk to you later,

Mark

Closed Thread