It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 PM   #1

StarAngel3 HB User
Tomorrow

Hi Tomorrow,
I have been missing you. How have you been? I hope your pain is getting better for you, hon. StarAngel..

Old 12-02-2003, 02:50 PM   #2

StarAngel3 HB User
Re: Tomorrow

Hi Tomorrow,
I answered your post, but I don't know if you got to read it. I am helping this get back up to the top, so you can read it. I hope you feel alright..StarAngel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 04:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning StarAngel,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Gosh, it has been so long since I have chatted with you. How have you been? I only see one reply posted on this thread. Perhaps you have replied to me on another thread, and I will look for it. Wait a minute, I just remember that I did make a post to you on this thread asking you to please post as I was missing you but I do not see this post either. And I have read the dates on the 2 posts that are hear and they are December posts. I hope that I didn't accidentally change any settings in my user options again and that may be why I can't view the previous posts. When you do reply to me, could you please let me know how many in total posts that you are able to view on this thread?

Anyway, I had a wonderful holiday at home with my family. I was able to do all of the cooking and my son put everything into the oven and took everything out for me as I could not bend and I sure could not lift that turkey. At the end of the day my neck and my legs were really hurting. The next day my computer went crazy as I had gotten another virus because my daughter had turned off my anti virus software. So it did take me days to get my computer up and running again. So I am back.... How have you been? I really hope that you have seen some improvement in your recovery. I have not. I do have an appointment today with pain management. I do have some good news, I have finally started to sleep in my bed again, 3 nights, Alleluia.... I had really missed my bed. I still have trouble sleeping on my side as I have a limit of 20 minutes before the pain starts or my legs begins to go numb. But at least I am back in my bed and I can be grateful for that. So when you get a chance let me know how you are and how your holiday was.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Have a great day [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-03-2003, 05:23 PM   #4

StarAngel3 HB User

Tomorrow,
It is so good to hear you are finally in your bed, I bet that feels really good. It was uncomfortable for me for about three nights, and now it is just fine. I am so sorry that you are not recovering like you should, that is really hard I know, you want so much to be better. I hope in your case your just a slow healer, and some people just are. I have always been that way, it takes me a lot longer than most people, but when I do heal, it is really better than others. I hope that is the case with my fusion. My back pain is a little better, now if that dump leg pain would go, I would be a new woman..And the nerve pain is the worst because it is like somebody slowly pulling hairs out one at a time..If that makes sense? I am glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving, it is always nice to spend time with your family. I hope you didn't work to hard..StarAngel.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Hello StarAngel,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I sure can relate to the nerve pain in the legs. I am not sure if all of it is nerve pain as some of it may be muscle pain with me. I have been taking Topamax for the nerve pain. I also take Zanaflex at night and pain management just increased my dose from 4mg to 8mg. Sometimes my legs just do not want to work properly and it is a very scary feeling. I get pain in both legs and in the front and back of legs. Prior to my surgery I had sciatica in my right leg and the pain was so much different then what it is now. I only experienced pain in the back of the leg. Then I also have this archilles tendinitis in both heels and this only makes matters worse. But guess what....My daughter has the day off from work and I am going to attempt to do some Christmas shopping. I haven't been doing to much walking and that is not making things any better. So maybe if I do push myself just a little because I really don't have a choice in the matter since the holiday is approaching, hopefully I will get stronger. Since I do not have to drive I can take my pain medication if needed. But if I do that, I might spend to much money....lol

I agree that some of us take longer to heal. Since we have to suffer so, I pray that it was worth it. I hope that we have better days in store for us.[/INDENT]

Old 12-04-2003, 04:26 PM   #6

StarAngel3 HB User
Wink Re: Tomorrow

Hello Tomorrow,

I am sorry to hear about your continuing leg pain, I hope it isn't permanent nerve damage. If it is different maybe it isn't. I would have to say mine is about the same, maybe not as intense now, but more nagging.. If you can stand it walking is really good for you, that is what I try to do, is walk. I love to go shopping so I usually take extra pain pills with me, and it has helped me be able to walk through the mall. I do better than I use to, but I still have considerable pain. So hopefully maybe in a few more months it will be all gone. (Wishing hard)..Good luck with the shopping. When you get tired take little short breaks that really helps conserve your energy. You have fun with your daughter..StarAngel

Old 12-05-2003, 06:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning StarAngel,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I did have a good time shopping with my daughter. We only went for a few hours as my legs couldn't handle the pain any longer. I did bring pain medication with me and I also wore my new pain patches. My pain management doctor had prescribed me the lidoderm patches and they seem to be helping my back and neck. I just don't know what I am going to do about these legs and heels. Towards the end of my shopping I noticed I was dragging my right leg again. I had done this prior to my surgery right after my wonderful discogram. I think my legs were stronger when I was 3 months post op and now I am 5 months. I really hope this is a mild set back. I often wonder if the edema that I have in both of my legs and feet has anything to do with this. Also when I had first told my surgeon about this, right away he said that it was not caused from my back. Meanwhile at every follow up visit with him and with pain management, their first question is how is the edema, and did the vascular surgeon find the cause? Why are they so concerned, I wonder.... Maybe because it is inflammation and a fusion patient cannot take anti inflammatory medication.

I have to say that your posts do sound more inspiring to me. Even though you are still dealing with the pain, you do seem to be moving forward with a more positive outlook and I am very happy for you. Gosh, it looks as if you are helping me now, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am glad that you are back on the boards.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-05-2003, 08:46 AM   #8
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

StarAngel is very inspiring eh?? Jeanne, I'm so sorry you're having so much leg pain too! Do either of you know how long it takes for permanent nerve damage?? I've been diagnosed with sciatica, and it's been 7yrs now! I'm sure that's long enough right? Though my drs don't ever act concerned about it!! Take care!

Out2lunch

Old 12-06-2003, 06:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning Out2Lunch,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Yes, StarAngel is very inspiring... She has been having a very difficult recovery and her surgeon has not been very helpful. But she is a very strong person and she has found another doctor and is taking control and I give her so much credit for that.

As for your question about the permanent nerve damage, I really am not sure. I think so much depends on how much the nerve is actually compressed if their is a herniated disc involved. The only thing that I have learned that once the nerve is know longer compressed that it can take almost a year or even longer to heal itself. I really never researched what damages I may have occurred before having my surgery. My situation was all together different as I did not have health insurance all these years so I never knew what was really wrong with my back & neck until last year. And then my surgeon had moved really fast. If I do find any information I will post it for you.[/INDENT]

Old 12-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #10
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Jeanne, sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I'm not usually on here on the weekends!
I've had the sciatica etc. for over 7yrs now, so I'm sure that's long enough for permanent nerve damage right?? I don't understand why my drs aren't concerned about it either!!
I've tried to get info on this through the search engines but haven't had any luck there either! I don't know where to go from here!
I have decided to take my recent MRI films to my pain dr tomorrow though! I can't help but feel that noone's taking this seriously 'cause they're all going by the written report of my scans, instead of actually viewing the films! I've always had the feeling that something's being overlooked or missed, so wish me luck LOL!!
I hope your leg pain etc. has eased up! Again, thanks for all your help, take care!!
ps..I still can't get my sig to show up again LOL!! I've been having to put it in after writing each post, and it's a pain!!

out2lunch

Old 12-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Hello Out2Lunch,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I wish you the very best at your appointment tomorrow. I think that it is a good idea to bring the films with you. Please keep me posted on what the doctor does tell you.

I really don't know what it takes before the doctor's will say if you have permanent nerve damage. I do know that their is a test called an EMG, have you ever had that test before? I have also read that not all doctor's agree with the finding from this test. Then again how often do they agree...lol At my last visit to my neuro he had brought up this test to me but first wants me to have my glucose checked. I am not sure if I will agree to this test yet. I don't need this test to tell me if I have problems with my nerves, but I do worry about it irritating my situation. It seems anytime the doctor's try and help me, I end up worse. I cannot put all the blame on them, I just think I got this omen hanging over me. Maybe if I keep putting these angels by my name things will change...lol

I think I made a post to you explaining about your signature. It may be a problem with the new boards as I too had a problem. I will look for it and bump it up.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-20-2003, 09:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Hello StarAngel & Out2Lunch,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I hope that you are both doing well. I do know how busy everyone is at this time of year and how very hard it is to try and prepare for this holiday. Gosh I never thought I would be the one to say that I can't wait for it to be over with. I have always been the type that gets a bit carried away with the holiday's. But not this year as I could barely get any shopping done. The outside of my home would be the center of attraction in my neighborhood as we really would do a spectacular job with our Christmas lights. My husband had to do them without me this year, and he only did a quarter of what we normally put up. I wasn't their to help and push him along as us wives normally do. But we are going to the Theater tonight as I purchased ticket's as a surprise for my family. I told my husband and children the other night and they were so happy. But I made a big mistake in doing this and I am going to pay for this one. We have been to this theater once before. We are going to see a Holiday Spectacular. I have purchased VIP seats on the second floor. The only thing I never thought of was their is NO ELEVATOR. My husband thought of this last night. This will take so much determination for me but I will do it. I think my biggest fear is the crowd that will be behind me and I will be much to slow for them. So I will arrive very early as I think that will be my best bet. Okay I think I have ranted enough here. I miss chatting with you both.[/INDENT][/COLOR]

[B][CENTER] [COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=4]Have a Happy Holiday [/SIZE][/COLOR] [/CENTER][/B]

Old 12-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #13

janb HB User

Hi Tomorrow
Haven't spoken with you in a while and was wondering how you are doing?
I hope all goes well at the theater tonite. I imagine it will make your family very happy to go as a family and that is why you will push yourself to do this. However, tomorrow morning you just may suffer for it. But I know it is worth it once in awhile to make those you love happy.
I have found preparing for the holiday very difficult also. I have cut way back this year and luckily my kids are 22 and 24 so they are mature enough to understand I just can't do as much as I used to. Mostly gift cards for everyone this year.
How have your pain levels been? Last week was really rough for me. I think it was definately related to the temperatures and damp weather.
Well I will post more with you later. Let us know how your evening went.
Jan

Old 12-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning Jan,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I am very happy to hear from you. I did make a post to you on another thread, I think it was my swollen legs and feet one. I just had wished you and the other's that normally post their a happy holiday. I am sorry that you are also having a difficult time preparing for this holiday. I think that my kids being older 16 & 19 is what has also helped me. I can relate to the weather playing a role in our pain levels. It has been so cold here in NY. One week we had so much snow and then rain and my pain levels were very high. I am also starting to experience hot flashes which is something I have to discuss with my doctor after the holiday's.

I really did myself up for the theater. I retouched my hair color, and really dressed up nicely. Gosh I looked as if I dropped 20 pounds putting on my nice clothing. When my husband came home from work, I seen a smile on his face that I haven't seen in a long time. Then I was wondering if I had gotten myself into trouble if you know what I mean as I am posting this for all to see....lol You know the old saying, the better you look, the better you feel, well it worked for me... I did look glamorous and felt much younger until I had to climb the steps of the theater, as then I felt as if I were 60 instead of 39. BUT I DID IT... I had a wonderful time with my family. You were correct in stating that I would suffer for it. I spent the entire next day in bed with medication's, patches and my heating pad. But I didn't sulk, as I just watched home video's of Christmas's of our past and my children occasionally came in my room to watch them with me. I am feeling a lit better today and I hope that I can bake some cookies later with my son & daughter as this is tradition that cannot be broken in my home. I honestly believe that when my kids move out they will come back to bake cookies.....lol I hope that your pain subsides enough to enjoy the holidays with your family.[/INDENT][/COLOR]

[B][CENTER] [SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]Have a Happy Holiday[/COLOR] [/SIZE] [/CENTER][/B]

Closed Thread