It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 07:10 PM   #1

MKP HB User
legal questions regarding back injury HELP ME PLEASE!

I am concerned regarding a decision I have to make. I have had 2 MRI's now with the same results: small bulge at L5-S1. I was injured in an accident (not my fault) and am involved in a law suit. The neurosurgeon suggested doing a myelogram. My primary care has been pushing the chiropractor. Can any one give me some advice on legally what my next move should be?

Thanks

Posterior Fusion L4-L5-S1 (January 28th, 2005)

Old 12-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: legal questions regarding back injury HELP ME PLEASE!

Hi Megan, all I can suggest to you is that you stay away from the chiro! I say that 'cause with bulging discs, my drs have told me to stay away! Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 08:30 PM   #3

SusanPLIF HB User

I agree with "out to lunch". Stay away from the Chiropractor.. or "quack-u-practors" in your case.

I've been in your seat... injured by someone else (not the same way, but...)

If you've tried all OTHER means of conservative relief... like PT, maybe ESIs... then yes...follow your neuro's advice on the myelogram. It would seem like a natural progression in your situation (medically and from a case standpoint - if I'm reading you right).

I had EVERY diagnostic test, I think....xrays, mris, ESIs, myelogram, discogram.
Yucko. BUT- I stayed clear of chiros.

I'm sure they have their place...but if you know you have a damaged disc..I just wouldn't see the benefit for ya.

Keep the faith,
Susan

Old 12-03-2003, 08:38 AM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Can someone explain a "myelogram" to me?? I've had all the other "means of conservative relief", so need to know what's the best next step for me?? My drs aren't offering anything, other then meds! Thanks, take care!!

Old 12-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #5

SusanPLIF HB User

[QUOTE=out2lunch]Can someone explain a "myelogram" to me?? I've had all the other "means of conservative relief", so need to know what's the best next step for me?? My drs aren't offering anything, other then meds! Thanks, take care!![/QUOTE]

Well, a myelogram is only (ONLY) a diagnostic exam. It provides no therapeutic value. They inject some dye into the thecal sac (I think that's the right term)... the space containing the spinal cord ... and then they usually CT the spine to better see if anything's being impinged... bulging where, etc...

My experience with this was not so great because I developed the dreaded "myelogram headache" afterwards. I ended up needing a "blood patch" to fix the spinal fluid leak from the myelogram. The procedures themselves weren't a big deal (pain-wise) .. You know.. After the ESI's ..you kinda get a 'feel' for the 'needle in the back' pain. Versed is a many-splendid thing! Anyway... I remember the pain after the blood patch being the worst.. (other than the danged headache which was indescribable.). The BP fixed the headache right away... but the blood clotting in the spine... OUCH for about 12 hrs... dang that was nasty. I'll never forget it. LOL See- but I can laugh now..

Closed Thread