It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 10:05 AM   #1

tiredofthepain HB User
In Tears Someone Help please :(

I am 33 years old. i had a disc case injection at age 17, then in 2001 I had a laminectomy to remove the buldging part of the disc L5 on the right. Now since Aug of this year the pain has begun again only in the left. I am sure its the other half of the disc thats left buldging out the left side now. I can't sleep! I can function ok through the day but when it comes time for bed i DReaD it. Once I am laying down I am ok, but the pain wakes me after about an hours sleep so much that I have to get up, this would be ok if it didn't take me 30 min just to get out of bed not to mention the pain with it that brings me to tears . I have a CAT schedualed but it isnt until May 2004. I am trying to get them to bump it up. i am so tired and getting depressed because of the lack of sleep and the pain at night. Does anyone know why after laying down it HURTS soooo much getting up? I sleep with pillows and have tried everything. Even the strongest sleeping meds can't keep me asleep. So very tired. Any advice i would be ever so grateful for.

Sarah :O(

Old 12-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: In Tears Someone Help please :(

Hi Sarah, welcome!! I'm sorry, but the only advice I can give you is to take each day as it comes, and to concentrate on what you still have!!
It's been 7yrs for me, and I'm still trying to deal with it! Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive

Patmg HB User

[QUOTE=out2lunch]Hi Sarah, welcome!! I'm sorry, but the only advice I can give you is to take each day as it comes, and to concentrate on what you still have!!
It's been 7yrs for me, and I'm still trying to deal with it! Take care!![/QUOTE]

Hi Sarah: I'm rather tired, but I will give you my "two cents" worth.. I would suggest you call your doctor's office and tell him/her exactly what is going on. Any doctor should be made aware of your sleep problem and take action on it. Any time a doctor hears a patient cannot sleep due to pain, etc., (and I mean you cannot sleep hardly at all), this is a "red flag" that something is terribly wrong. If you cannot get your doctor's attention regarding the severe pain and inability to sleep, perhaps you should simply go to the Emergency Room. In chronic back problems, it often takes several times of repeating the same problem over and over to your doctor. (I've just been through this with an undiagnosed gall bladder; I was extremely ill!) I just started calling and calling my doctor's office; I was getting so scared as I slowly lost the ability to eat and major weight loss. You just have to keep on telling your doctor!!! I guess it is the old "squeaky wheel gets the grease" syndrome--keep on complaining! Eventually, they should "get it"!!!!!! Take care and good luck and whine, whine, whine to these people!! Patmg

Old 12-02-2003, 07:14 PM   #4

jacksnana HB User
Smile Re: In Tears Someone Help please :(

Sarah, hi I am new to the boards. But I do sympathize with you, as I have been going thru the same thing for going on 15 years. Ihave had too many MRI's too mention, with and without contrast, cat scan, (which showed absolutely nothing). If I may, please ask that they do an MRI with contrast and insist that you get it somewhere that they have the T1.5 magnet. If not 9 out of 10 times the T1 magnet will not pick up the problem. Just Monday 12-1-03, I found out not only is L-4, L5 ruptured again (after a hemi laminectomy in Nov 2001) but now I also have an annular tear among a bunch of other garbage. I have read all the previous posts from August back to Feb this year and we all seem to be in the same boat. I too cannot sleep, like you I doze off for about 30-45 minutes, awaken only to not be able to go back to sleep. My doctor is sending me to pain management thru a neurosurgeons office. He's talking surgery AGAIN. unless they can guarantee 100% they can help I don't feel I can put my body thru that pain again. Yes you have to go on even tho sometimes you just wish they'd cut that whole part of your body off. I have had 4 epidural blocks, sacroiliac steriod injection, facet joint injection, only because they have no idea what the heck to do. Nor do they care. Someone said they wouldn't wish this pain on anyone, well I disagree I wish every person who ever doubted me would get it if nly for 1 day. I really have no idea what my next step is, but I do highly suggest you have an open MRI with contrast and the T1.5 magnet. As far as sleeping, when I finally do get out of bed, I go staight to the bathtub and sit in as hot a water as I can stand, sometimes four and five times a night.
My dear my prayers are with you and the best of luck to you.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

YOu have received excellent advice and I am only here to repeat what has already been said....CALL YOUR DOCTOR. He should be made aware of how drastic your situation is becoming. Make a lot of noise with him and insist that he do tests Now, not in May. Do a lot of squeaking until he gets out the grease gun and finds out what is wrong. Good luck to you.
Carol
morphine pump

Old 12-03-2003, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Hello Sarah,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards for Back Problems. I am very sorry to hear of your pain. I too have suffered with back pain since age 16 and I am 39 years old. Unfortunately, I did not do anything about it until this past year because I did not have health insurance. I have read your post and the replies that you have received. Please follow the very helpful advice that has been giving to you. I cannot understand as to why you have a CT Scan scheduled for May. The only thing my mind can come up with is maybe this is an insurance issue. You really need to explain to your doctor what your pain levels are at and your sleeping patters. You did a wonderful job with your post, you really need to go into detail with your dr. as well. I don't know what type of dr. you are seeing, but it might be a good idea if you also try to find a pain management dr. also. That is if you aren't already seeing one. But then again, they want to know what the injury is that they are treating so testing needs to be done. Please make another appointment with your doctor and if he won't order either a CT Scan or MRI maybe you might consider finding another doctor. I do wish you the very best. Please keep us posted.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] You are in my prayers [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-09-2003, 04:44 PM   #7

boatdummy HB User

[QUOTE=tiredofthepain]I am 33 years old. i had a disc case injection at age 17, then in 2001 I had a laminectomy to remove the buldging part of the disc L5 on the right. Now since Aug of this year the pain has begun again only in the left. I am sure its the other half of the disc thats left buldging out the left side now. I can't sleep! I can function ok through the day but when it comes time for bed i DReaD it. Once I am laying down I am ok, but the pain wakes me after about an hours sleep so much that I have to get up, this would be ok if it didn't take me 30 min just to get out of bed not to mention the pain with it that brings me to tears . I have a CAT schedualed but it isnt until May 2004. I am trying to get them to bump it up. i am so tired and getting depressed because of the lack of sleep and the pain at night. Does anyone know why after laying down it HURTS soooo much getting up? I sleep with pillows and have tried everything. Even the strongest sleeping meds can't keep me asleep. So very tired. Any advice i would be ever so grateful for.

Sarah :O([/QUOTE]

Hi Sarah. Sorry to hear about your pain. I also suggest talking to your doctor again and again until he listens. Until then, you might try sleeping in a recliner. That has helped me so much. Also put pillow between your legs if trying to sleep on your side. A heating pad also helps me a lot.

Good luck and blessings to you.

Janie

Old 12-09-2003, 08:57 PM   #8

larryp HB User

Sarah,
I too am so sorry to here about your pain and sleep problem. Tomorrow mentions why it takes so long for a CT scan. Is this a result of the medical system in Canada? I don't know, just curious.
Hang in there,
Larry
1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #9
Inactive

Pain Free HB User

[QUOTE=tiredofthepain]I am 33 years old. i had a disc case injection at age 17, then in 2001 I had a laminectomy to remove the buldging part of the disc L5 on the right. Now since Aug of this year the pain has begun again only in the left. I am sure its the other half of the disc thats left buldging out the left side now. I can't sleep! I can function ok through the day but when it comes time for bed i DReaD it. Once I am laying down I am ok, but the pain wakes me after about an hours sleep so much that I have to get up, this would be ok if it didn't take me 30 min just to get out of bed not to mention the pain with it that brings me to tears . I have a CAT schedualed but it isnt until May 2004. I am trying to get them to bump it up. i am so tired and getting depressed because of the lack of sleep and the pain at night. Does anyone know why after laying down it HURTS soooo much getting up? I sleep with pillows and have tried everything. Even the strongest sleeping meds can't keep me asleep. So very tired. Any advice i would be ever so grateful for.

Sarah :O([/QUOTE][COLOR=Black]
[FONT=Times New Roman]

Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear about your back history and your current problems. Please consider getting an MRI instead of a CAT scan it will define your pathology much better. You may also consider being treated with the DRX9000 coupled with postural restoration. It's helped thousands of people.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-16-2003 at 07:31 PM.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

As everyone else has stated it saddens me to think your problem isn't receiving a quicker response.
Sometimes drs. don't realize although it isn't an emergency to them it is to the person in pain.
I have two Doctors in the family and I would suggest you calling your doctor and very kindly make sure they are aware of the disturbance this is causing in your life. Whenever you have anything that affects your sleep you open your self up to other problems. Sleep is the time your body works on itself instead of for you. Ex. colds, flu are more common when you are run down and tired.

you must listen to your gut if it is telling you this needs attention now then get it one way or another. The idea of the emergency room might be an option.

If nerves are involved the longer you wait the more of a risk of permanent damage.

You are in my prayers

Old 12-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #11
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I agree with everyone else, and you may want to tell your dr that you want an MRI if it means a sooner appt!! Once you get the appt., call where it's being done and tell them you need to be on their cancellation list!! I've had MRIs set up for months later and gotten in the same week it was booked 'cause someone cancelled at the last min etc. It's worth a shot anyway, you can't go on like this!
Also seeing a pain management dr may just get you into the CT or MRI that much faster! Mine works out of most of the hospitals here in Ont. Canada, and therefore he has alot of pull! Yours might too!!
If this doesn't speed things up, or you can't handle it any longer, I'd definitely take myself into emerge!! Atleast there you'd become an emergency and they'd do a CT or MRI right then!! Please take care, and let us know how things turn out!!

Old 12-14-2003, 01:17 PM   #12

tiredofthepain HB User

Thank you so very much for all your replies. I am very sorry it has taken me this long to come back and read all of them but my sitting time at the computer is very limited as I am sure most of you can understand. I think my greatest problem is that a sept 2002 i moved 3 and a half hours away from my family dr and orthapedic surgeon. My surgeon requested that I get a referal as well as xrays (which I did) and had them sent down. My family DR got them and diagnosed me with Scoliosis, forwarded the information to my surgeon and now I am getting the red tape run around because my surgeon does not "treat" scoliosis..... Im not a dr and I can tell from experience this is NOT scoliosis. Anyway The town I currently live has no Dr's accepting patients (Canadian health care system is starting to scare me). So now I have been to the emergency room 4 times since sept, finally after my repeated visits one dr finally took me seriously and called the hospital in Belleville ont. the hospital called me with the date and I inquired about getting it sooner, she said a Dr has to request that. I am sorry to stammer on about this but feel so alone. My husband and daughter are so wonderfull but it breaks my heart to see in there eyes pitty because there is nothing they can do. Finding this health board has been a BLESSING to me.

Again thanks to everyone who replied with wonderfull advice and prayers, mine are with you all to.
xoxo
Sarah.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:48 PM   #13

jacksnana HB User
Thumbs up Re: In Tears Someone Help please :(

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Sarah, God Speed My dear. It is amazing the pain we put our families thru as well. If it were not for my family I would have been in the nut house. My son as well as my husband, help me by pulling my leg up over my head, carefully I might add, as I lay in the floor. This releases the muscle spasms in the calf muscle. I too feel as you do, this board has been a Godsend. I live in a very small town in Kentucky, yes you are imagining correctly. Back hills doctors. And druggies to boot, therefore when someone actually is in pain it's Ibuprofen or nothing. Not even Darvocet. I am currently taking about 3200 to 4000mg per day. No it doesn't really help but it is far better than nothing.
I've rambled enough, I just wanted to say thanks to EVERYONE, it helps knowing we are not ALONE.
God Speed and please insist upon being treated much earlier than May, I'm afraid you may regret it if you don't. A veteran procrastinator.

Closed Thread