It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 12:56 PM   #1

gdbreedlove HB User
Another New Twist!!

Received a call from my DR a few minutes ago, and based on my new MRI he'd like to do a full blown laminectomy versus the microdiscectomy he originally planned. Here I've concentrating on the latter, and haven't gotten alot of information on a laminectomy. Can anyone give me an idea what to expect and a comparison between the two. I'm scheduled for surgery next Thursday! I appreciate all of you!

Greg

Old 12-03-2003, 03:21 AM   #2

Billy33 HB User
Re: Another New Twist!!

Has more than one Dr. looked over your result's
evaluate your Dr. <> Patient relationship and
decide if you trust his singular opinion, I'm not
to sure but the 2 OPS sound very drastically differant
I live in FL. and the insurance Industry is in an uproar
and desicions must be second guessed.
Hope be with you
"B"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 07:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Hi Greg,
There is quite a big difference between the two surgeries.
What are your symptoms and findings?
I had a laminectomy Sept 5th and my doctor told me that it was my only option and I did definetely believe that as I had bone growth/spurring that needed to be remove and a lamy was needed. I also had a disc 'trimmed' that was pressing on nerve roots. It depends on what the findings are which surgery is best. In my case I had been having problems for quite some time so he opened me up to see what was causing all my problems and found the spurring. It wasn't really showing on the MRI, ect.
A laminectomy involves alot more as far as the muscles and all and recovery is much longer but if necessary sometimes you have to go through with it.
I am 3 months out and my doctor says I'm doing good but I have along ways to go. I had so much going on before the surgery that it may take longer than normal for me to recover. I'm back at work(desk job) but still am extremely limited.
I wish you luck and if you have questions, just ask!

Mistina

Old 12-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran

standingman HB User

Hi Greg--A lami is what I'd have if I were having surgery since it is unclear how much of my stenosis is disk-generated at this point and how much related to bone and/or ligament. As you well know, the issue is what is the least invasive way to get to _enough_ decompression. I assume your doc feels only dealing with the disk will not help enough.

From what I've learned, there is a tremendous range of surgeries all of which are "laminectomies", depending on how much bone needs to be removed. I've also understood that, in some cases,
it is actually better to remove bone and not overly "mess with" the disk in the long run, if enough decompression can be achieved that way. Needless to say, it's trade-off with the potential for later instability, re-herniation, etc. that enter in. In many instances, the particulars of such surgeries cannot really be determined until once one is "inside" and sees the whole field.

I've also heard a very wide range of experiences in terms of recoveries from lamis--some people clearly get back very quickly; others take longer. Again, the usual variables apply. My best friend recently had one and his leg symptoms resolved almost immediately. He was in chronic pain, with weakness/numbness, etc..

As always, my best to you. If this is, indeed, what is indicated, your surgeon may be sparing you the need for further surgery by including laminectomy now.

Standingman

Old 12-10-2003, 12:51 PM   #5

gdbreedlove HB User

Thanks Standing! Scheduled for surgery in the morning! Will let everyone know how it goes. Take care!
Greg

Old 12-10-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran

standingman HB User

Thanks for letting us know, Greg. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending all good vibes. Power to you!

Standingman

Closed Thread