It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #1

Erin Paul HB User
Please explain my MRI Results

I just got back my back MRI results and have no idea what they mean. Could some one please explain them to me.

This is the results in short.

1. There is a mild diffuse annular bugle at 1-2 and 2-3.

2. Central disc protrusion at 4-5 causing a very mild mass effect on the thecal sac, but no mass effect on exiting nerve roots.

3. Grade I spondylolisthesis L5-S1 measuring 6-7 MM. With findings suspicious for bilateral spondylolysis.

Any info would be great!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 02:54 PM   #2

HNPatL4L5 HB User
Re: Please explain my MRI Results

There is a good glossary at [url]http://www.asnr.org/spine_nomenclature/glossary.asp[/url]. L1, L2, L3, L4, L5 and S1 refer to vertebrae in your lumbar spine (lower back). The discs inbetween pairs of these vertebrae are called L1-2, L2-3, L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1. I assume by 1-2, 2-3 and 4-5 the report means the discs at L1-2, L2-3, and L4-5. MRI's can only be interpreted by someone who can give you a physical exam and has a chance of telling whether the pain you are experiencing might be caused by MRI findings. (Sometimes the cause is "obvious": if you had a severe left paracentral disc herniation at L4-5 compressing the left L5 nerve root, it would cause pain in the left butt, outside of left calf, top and bottom of left foot to big toe.) There are dermatome maps showing pain pathways at [url]http://anesthesia.mc.duke.edu/regional/abc/images/med-illustartion/ant-dermatome.jpg[/url] and
[url]http://anesthesia.mc.duke.edu/regional/abc/images/med-illustartion/post-dermatome.jpg[/url].

Last edited by HNPatL4L5; 12-02-2003 at 03:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread