It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

sroman127 HB User
Question Lower Back Pain and Abdomen

I wanted to know if anyone has any abdominal pain or pressure related to their lower back? I am having a problem with my lower back and my hips and abdomen bother me also. I would like to know if anyone who has had lower back pain has ever experienced a problem with their abdomen or hips from it?

Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 AM   #2
Inactive

Patmg HB User
Re: Lower Back Pain and Abdomen

[QUOTE=sroman127]I wanted to know if anyone has any abdominal pain or pressure related to their lower back? I am having a problem with my lower back and my hips and abdomen bother me also. I would like to know if anyone who has had lower back pain has ever experienced a problem with their abdomen or hips from it?[/QUOTE]
Hi Sroman 127: Yes, I do have the stomach pain that radiates from my lumbar spine. Not only do I have this condition, my doctor's nurse does, too. Yes, this does feel like the pain is in your hips. In fact, before my spinal diagnosis, and when my spine was just starting to "go", I used to describe a feeling of "sand paper" in my left hip joint. It was like my hip joint was made of "sand paper" and it was very annoying. This is due to the pinched sciatic nerve that is in the low back. My problems started at L4-5 with the sciatic nerve. When the sciatic nerve gets pinched (and there are other nerves in the lumbar spine, too, such as the Femoral nerve, which is another long nerve that operates your legs, etc.), the pain can be felt far from the lumbar spine. These are large nerves. This was in 1991 and I was only 43 years old. Since then, I now have about 14 degenerating disks, after a lumbar laminectomy Mar. 1993 at L4-5 and a failed neck fusion of C5-6 June, 2000. My thoracic spine is affected, too. I believe it is the disk bulging out more and more and the pain referring not only out the back, but to the front. Of course, I would make my doctor aware of this and I suggest that you please do the same. Tell your doctor just to be sure that your nerves are not being damaged in any way.

I certainly hope you are getting proper pain control for your back troubles. It is a nasty pain that is unrelenting. Take care and good luck, Patmg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Sroman, I just wanted to let you know that I also have the same areas of pain too, along with bulging discs in the lumbar and cervical areas!! Drs say it's from the sciatica, take care!!

Last edited by out2lunch; 12-04-2003 at 08:38 AM.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran

standingman HB User

It's not too uncommon for pain from the lumbar spine to be radiate into the hips, groin, and abdomen. This is more likely if the upper lumbar (L1/2 and 2/3) disks are involved. Of course, you always want to rule out other causes for such pain. I ended up having both MRIs and CTs of abdomen and pelvis to check for other things.

Standingman

Old 12-05-2003, 05:57 AM   #5
(female)

sroman127 HB User

Thank you so much for replying! My regular doctor said he didn't think my groin, abdomen and hip pain was from my back. So of course that made me alittle nervous. I also have problems with my cervical, surgery in Feb. 2003 on C5-6. Still have issues in neck. I would like to know how you all deal with it, I mean it is very discouraging to think that the degeneration and all is going on throughout my spine. I am only 38 years old and have had cervical problems since I am 16. I am now being treated for depression, which I know would probably not be an issue, except I wonder what my future holds with problems this young. I don't take any pain medication and never have, I don't like them. But it is very hard to take care of three small kids when you have a hard time just walking or bending over. Christmas shopping should be great fun this year! Anyway, it is really good to hear from others who have the same issues, please keep in touch!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:57 AM   #6
Inactive

Patmg HB User

[QUOTE=sroman127]Thank you so much for replying! My regular doctor said he didn't think my groin, abdomen and hip pain was from my back. So of course that made me alittle nervous. I also have problems with my cervical, surgery in Feb. 2003 on C5-6. Still have issues in neck. I would like to know how you all deal with it, I mean it is very discouraging to think that the degeneration and all is going on throughout my spine. I am only 38 years old and have had cervical problems since I am 16. I am now being treated for depression, which I know would probably not be an issue, except I wonder what my future holds with problems this young. I don't take any pain medication and never have, I don't like them. But it is very hard to take care of three small kids when you have a hard time just walking or bending over. Christmas shopping should be great fun this year! Anyway, it is really good to hear from others who have the same issues, please keep in touch![/QUOTE]
Hi Sroman: My problems started at age 43. If you have been diagnosed with DDD, has your doctor explained that this tends to be inherited. All 3 of our kids have signs of this; our 28 year old was born with spinal bifida occulta, whereby a part of his vertebre in lumbar area didn't form right in utero and his sacrum is messed up--inherited from me (bummer). Our 22 year old son has signs of this already in neck and lumbar and so does our 33 year old daughter, but daughter isn't as bad as the boys.

Regarding pain meds, I can understand you don't like the way they make you feel. Often times, as you get a tolerance, some of that "feeling" will go away. Also, perhaps you could just get a few pain meds for your Christmas shopping (if you don't want to stay on them); that was the only way I ever got meds from my first doctor who allowed me to suffer 8 years; only 20 hydrocodone 5 mg per month. SR, there isn't a whole lot any docs can do for this DDD, other than help you be comfortable with pain meds.

Please don't go to your future; SR, when you have this condition, you can get yourself into a "tizzy" worrying about what could happen. Guess what...I started my walk into the world of DDD at 43; I am 55 years old and I still can walk--not paralyzed!! That is my fear, too. I found I must handle the psychological aspects with my faith. I am not a "holier than thou" Bible banger; I am an individual in terrible pain, like you, with responsiblities (an ill husband for 20 years, raised 3 kids at poverty due to Vietnam vet {front line combat medic 67-69, 101st Airborne Army; he saw a lot of action in Nam}VA wouldn't give him a full 100% disability, he almost died 4 times during our marriage due to the physical problems caused by extreme PTSD. Of course, the VA says stress does NOT hurt the body. Guess what, we are all still here, hubby included, and I worried all those years and for what? I still tend to worry, but I always have to remember a Bible verse in Mathew whereby Jesus says "come all ye heavy laden; I will give you rest; and don't worry about tommorrow"; God only gives us grace by the day; not the week, month or year. SR, do you realize I have had so much emotional and physical pain in my life whereby there were times I begged God to take me "home". Yet, I'm still here and I find myself doing what I can to help others in their suffering. Even if it is helping one person at a time; back to that old "finding purpose in your suffering" (Dr. Phil). I DO WORRY; but then I must remember "one day at a time". SR, you must basically learn to "brain wash yourself" into "one day at a time" thinking. Ask for strength each day and only for each day. Don't jump to that unknown future; just continue to do the right thing in life; no matter how rough it gets; do the right thing and stay close to God. Negative emotions are a spiritual problem: I know, I have a ton of them myself. I fall back into "future thinking" often and even "past thinking" which is unhealthy, if it is negative. This is how I cope; I listen to calming music when I can; and any POSITIVE readings I can get through Christian radio or teaching tapes. I keep trying to "renew my mind." I am not trying to "push" my faith on your or anyone else; this is simply how I, Patmg, cope. Know this, "pain is a part of life"; my 22 year old son (who is just like me emotionally--a worrier) told me this once. That young man, who is so much like me, can reach me, when no one else can. I cry often; but I am learning to cry to God. Know that it is medically understood chronic pain does cause depression. You can ask your doc for anti-depressants (if you wish) and some anti-depressants are known to help control pain (watch for ones that cause weight gain).

I am extremely curious to know about your bone marrow. I have found on the internet one extensive report by a doctor regarding DDD and bone marrow. The DDD can actually, eventually, inflame the bone marrow in the vertebral end plates. (I quoting from memory here; don't have the report in front of me.) Can you explain what is going on with your bone marrow?

I hope this helps you; look forward to hearing more referencing your bone marrow. Take care, Patmg

Old 12-05-2003, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran

standingman HB User

Just a word on the physical side. I do still think it is important to rule out _other_ causes of abdominal/hip/groin back. It may be back-related, but it also may not be. As messaged, that's why I also had other studies done.

Otherwise, so many of you have been an inspiration to me. I am lucky in that my problems didn't really develop until I was 54. And my pain is not chronic and only severe sporadically, and usually for semi-predictable reasons. Life is very limited, but not to the degree that it is for many. For me, it's been helpful to think--if I can't go wide, I can go deep. Specifically, rather than all the travelling that I used to do, I walk around my own neighborhood almost every day. And I always see something new and something interesting. That is, I see things I would not have seen before. Which, I think, is what worthwhile "traveling" actually is about.

Standingman

Old 12-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #8
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

This is something that won't go away and is unlikely to ever be "corrected" by surgery. Mine all started when I was around 30 and it was just a killer trying to work and take care of small children. I remember one time sitting down to bend over to tie one of my kids shoes, the phone rang and I couldn't get up. I needed to get the kids off to school and sitting there was pretty scary. You should see a pain management doctor. I didn't want to get into pain medication but, I needed to be part of the kids activities and live my life. I "toughed" it out for 10 years and am now working with my doctor to get good pain control. Please don't let life go by without trying to get some control and I found too that once the pain control was better, depression lifts, you can get out and about and be "normal" (sort of). Good luck..

Old 12-06-2003, 07:36 PM   #9
(female)

sroman127 HB User

You have all helped me so much! Just the replies alone make me feel better! I also have IBS, panic disorder. You are right that this is all hereditary. My two brothers have had surgery on their cervical spines. My sister had a problem with her neck also. When she was 40 years old she had terrible pain that came in spasms. I finally got the doctor to admit her into the hospital when I told him that she said she was going to kill herself if someone did not do something. Well, she died the next day, turns out they assumed it was her neck acting up again and actually she was having mini heart attacks for over a week or so. She left behind 4 children. One of them died at the age of 27, I believe partially of a broken heart. Anyway, I don't know what bone marrow edema is, no one has explained it to me. I developed panic disorder after my two year old daughter died from cancer. I have always been a nervous person, but that really kind of sent my nerves over the edge. Funny thing is I can handle the pain easier than the depression. I have gone alittle off track, sorry! Sometimes, you just have to let it out!

Old 12-19-2003, 08:07 AM   #10

Alwayshurting HB User

I have these pains also, but the keep telling me they don't know why. I have been check for everything, now they want to do trigger injections. (need to research this some) if they don't know the cause what are they treating......

Closed Thread