It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 06:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
still swelling on spine 12 weeks after laminectomy

This may or may not be unusual but I'm just wondering if anyone that has had a laminectomy had swelling over the area of spine that they did the work 12 weeks after surgery. If I run my fingers down over that area, I can feel the hump. It is smaller after sleeping at night but once I am active it starts to get larger and more painful causing soreness and pain. It is like the bone on the spine is still inflammed and won't get over this. I feel like this will never end. Does anyone have any advice to offer or experience in this area.

Mistina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 02:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Re: still swelling on spine 12 weeks after laminectomy

Anyone?
I am having major stiffness and soreness. I am starting on an anti-inflammatory today but really am curious if this is somewhat normal. I'm afraid that my surgery failed or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 05:12 PM   #3

Kokomo HB User

[QUOTE=Mistina]This may or may not be unusual but I'm just wondering if anyone that has had a laminectomy had swelling over the area of spine that they did the work 12 weeks after surgery. If I run my fingers down over that area, I can feel the hump. It is smaller after sleeping at night but once I am active it starts to get larger and more painful causing soreness and pain. It is like the bone on the spine is still inflammed and won't get over this. I feel like this will never end. Does anyone have any advice to offer or experience in this area.

Mistina[/QUOTE]

Mistina- I can only relay what was relayed to me. I had a laminectomy a week and a half ago and just saw the Nurse Practitioner for an incision check. She referred to an area of swelling above the incision and said " you should start to see that flatten out soon". However this is 10 days not 12 weeks. It does not seem to be painful like yours. What has the MD said? So far I am quite happy with the surgery as it has largely eliminated the leg pain from stenosis I had. Good luck and let us know what you find out. thanks. Kokomo

Old 12-04-2003, 05:36 PM   #4

StarAngel3 HB User

Mistina,
I think it could be perfectly normal, but just to be sure, I would call and run it by the nurse or doctor. It could be the muscles swelling. I had a fusion, and mine still swells a lot and the doctor said it is the muscles. How big is your incision, if it is large the muscles might have been cut. StarAngel.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Hi all!
Thanks for the replys, it always easing my mind a little.
I did in fact run it by the nurse yesterday and was given anti-inflammatories. I was in to see my doctor last week and ran it by him briefly but it wasn't bad last week. This week it is so much worse. I did have a longer incision and he did inform me that it is where he cut the muscle. I' sure it is the muscle I just get paranoid when I think of scar tissue building up and all. It probably is the muscle. I just wonder if it will ever end and can't figure out why it takes so long to heal. Well, I guess all I can do is wait it out!
Thanks guys,
Mistina

[QUOTE=StarAngel3]Mistina,
I think it could be perfectly normal, but just to be sure, I would call and run it by the nurse or doctor. It could be the muscles swelling. I had a fusion, and mine still swells a lot and the doctor said it is the muscles. How big is your incision, if it is large the muscles might have been cut. StarAngel.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Mistina; 12-05-2003 at 06:30 AM.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
(male)

flyin HB User

[QUOTE=Mistina;752810]Hi all!
Thanks for the replys, it always easing my mind a little.
I did in fact run it by the nurse yesterday and was given anti-inflammatories. I was in to see my doctor last week and ran it by him briefly but it wasn't bad last week. This week it is so much worse. I did have a longer incision and he did inform me that it is where he cut the muscle. I' sure it is the muscle I just get paranoid when I think of scar tissue building up and all. It probably is the muscle. I just wonder if it will ever end and can't figure out why it takes so long to heal. Well, I guess all I can do is wait it out!
Thanks guys,
Mistina [/QUOTE]

Hi i know its been some time since your op, but did the swelling go? As i had discectomy on L4/L5 and to have swelling around my incision point. Theres no bruising and its healed very well. Doctor sending me for MRI, but this will be some weeks off. I hear that it could be a pseudomeningoceles. Worries me!! Would be nice if you could shed some light on this for me as it sounds very similar to you. Many thanks Brian. Anyone help?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
(female)

PEmom HB User

Mistina
I had a lump after my Laminecotmies and I have a small one now after a fusion. I had quite a lot of scar tissue that built up. Once my dr gave the ok, my PT worked on it with massage and it is going down. You just have to make sure it is not an infection or tear, only the muscle healing from being cut. It is a big muscle and may take longer then you think to heal. It is a good idea to keep an eye on it and keep asking questions to your dr or nurse.
PEmom

Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
(male)

flyin HB User

Hi thank you for that information, yes it had me worried but will see my PT, many thanks Brian

Closed Thread